2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Realistically, I want to know how many roster spots are available right now.... I'm guessing 4, maybe 5? So anything above that we are just drafting cut guys..... Doesn't make a lot of sense. If they can get 3 first rounders and a 2nd or 3rd, that'd be a good deal imo. Or trade 6 back closer to 20 but pickup a 1st next year. I still think there's good additions we can use late in this draft.

Or say we get 20 (hypothetically) and a 1st next year for 6. Package 18 or 20 with a second to get back up to the teens and then you basically traded a 2nd rounder for a 1st next year and set us up all over again........

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

there's plenty of research that shows drafting according to the public draft boards is the most successful thing to do.  carter and anderson are at the top of everybody's lists for a reason.

There is just as much research showing that’s not true.  One can twist data to support just about anything.    

All drafts aren’t created equal either and this appears to be a weak one at the top of the draft.   Not sure how many all-pro players we will have from this top 10.  I’ll be interested to follow over the coming years.  

Edited by Hongbit

17 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'll guarantee right now, and bookmark this post, that Holmes trades up. I think the most likely trade ups are back into the 1st round using the 2nds and/or into the 4th using the 5ths. He's going to consolidate those picks and go get a guy or two on his board that he doesn't think will last to his spot, plus the fact that the Lions roster is already pretty loaded as is and his propensity for trading up (wanting to trade up) historically. I think quality over quantity will be the gameplan

Yeah I just don't see them coming away from this draft with 9 players. I could even see them moving up from 18 but I think they will be trading one of those 2nd round picks. 

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bijan Robinson was born four years after Barry Sanders retired. Man am I getting old. 

I know things are obviously different nowadays with the advent of the internet and the ease to which highlights from prior generations but in scenarios like this I like to compare it to what it would be like for myself and for me it would be like talking about a guy that retired in the mid 1970s like say a Johnny Unitas and to me Unitas just feels like somebody my Grandfather would've watched. It just seems so crazy when I put it in that context. 

Just before the Barry Sanders draft (about 2 weeks before), I was working in a fund raiser for the march of dimes. My job was to arrest certain local celebrities and put them in jail, for a radio station. I got to meet Wayne Fontes, and introduced myself (my middle name is Barry) with emphasis on my middle name. He said "Hi Barry, it's very nice to meet you!"  And I knew from his reaction that the Lions were going to choose Barry Sanders.

Where I am at for #6:

A+ Will Anderson

A : Trade up for Will Anderson (contingent on reasonable terms), CJ Stroud (including a reasonable trade up), Trade Down if neither Stroud or Anderson are there

A- : Bijan Robinson

B : Jalen Carter

B- : Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson

C+ : Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Anthony Richardson

C : Joey Porter Jr., Calijah Kancey

D : Will Levis

TBD: Anything else

Edited by MichiganCardinal

If Bryce Young was just a few inches taller and 20lbs heavier he would be the perfect prospect. I love his on field skills, character, leadership qualities etc. If the size doesn't end up being an issue I think he's gonna be one of the elite qbs in a couple years. But that's a big If.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Seems striking in Stroud's case, but not sure you can ever make too definitive a conclusion based on any single point measurement of a sample human. Carter showed  up out of shape and fat once - it was a bad decision but a lot of folks argue that shouldn't matter. Stroud may have blown off the test for some stupid poor judgment reason.  If you look at his game film and you don't see a guy who can make real time decisions, then I guess I'd tend to put more stock in the result, but I wouldn't put it above a good coach's evaluation of his game film.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

IDK if what Jamo did counts as a "character concern" so to speak, but does this make the Lions more apprehensive now to draft Jalen Carter? They are bringing this up on 97.1 now.

conversely, if jamo didnt have any concerns before the draft, then whats the point?  sometimes guys make mistakes.

i still think passing on carter would be a huge mistake.

I don't think this changes things really. Maybe a very slightly more likely chance of taking Bijan or Jahmyr. Comparing Carter's concerns with William's mistake isn't really useful. Carter's primary concerns are with not being a hard worker, with some cherries on top of legal trouble, stupid choices, and immaturity. Williams is only the stupid choices and immaturity.

I think I have already advocated for this, but I would like to see an offer for something like #6, #55, and a 2024 3rd for #3 and DeAndre Hopkins. He would have a place on this team with and without Jamo.

23 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah I just don't see them coming away from this draft with 9 players. I could even see them moving up from 18 but I think they will be trading one of those 2nd round picks. 

This aspect seems to be less widely reported on. Analysts talk a lot in terms of how a team evaluates the depth and distrubution of players in the draft when it come to decisions about trying to move up or down, but that decision is probably driven more by an evaluation of the a team's current roster and their estimates the probability of draft choices beating out an existing player to make the team. Shallow or weak teams need quantity of picks to build depth and because they have a lot guys they don't want to keep, the better/deeper a team, the more you should be willing to give up picks to move up for quality. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

conversely, if jamo didnt have any concerns before the draft, then whats the point?  sometimes guys make mistakes.

i still think passing on carter would be a huge mistake.

I tend to agree on Carter, maybe not huge mistake but I think it's something that very well could come back to haunt them. With that said we also have to consider the fact that if they do pass on him it might not entirely be because of the off the field issues. They may just not think as a player he is head and shoulders above the rest of the DTs.

Just using a quick scenario, lets say they plan on going DT and CB with their first 2 picks. Using NFL Draft Buzz scores for these players you could get Carter who is a 91.9 and Emmanuel Forbes at 18 who is an 87.8. You have a total grade of 179.7.

OTOH you could go Witherspoon at 6 who has a 90 grade and Breese at 18 who they grade at 88.1 for a total of 178.1.

So hypothetically if you go by these grades you get a 1.6 extra score with your 1st 2 picks. That's not insignificant but it's also not a huge difference particularly if you do worry about Carter's off the field stuff.

This of course is just 1 sites grades but maybe the Lions have similar scores or even closer ones on their board?

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Where I am at for #6:

A+ Will Anderson

A : Trade up for Will Anderson (contingent on reasonable terms), CJ Stroud (including a reasonable trade up), Trade Down if neither Stroud or Anderson are there

A- : Bijan Robinson

B : Jalen Carter

B- : Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson

C+ : Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Anthony Richardson

C : Joey Porter Jr., Calijah Kancey

D : Will Levis

TBD: Anything else

your buddy charlie campbell has the lions taking will anderson and bijan in the first round...

6 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think this changes things really. Maybe a very slightly more likely chance of taking Bijan or Jahmyr. Comparing Carter's concerns with William's mistake isn't really useful. Carter's primary concerns are with not being a hard worker, with some cherries on top of legal trouble, stupid choices, and immaturity. Williams is only the stupid choices and immaturity.

I think I have already advocated for this, but I would like to see an offer for something like #6, #55, and a 2024 3rd for #3 and DeAndre Hopkins. He would have a place on this team with and without Jamo.

I think there's a parallel because Carter is showing a lot of immaturity with his choices just as Jamo is. This recent incident just might reinforce that they can't afford to burn another high pick on another potential problem child. Then again, they knew about the gambling incident BEFORE meeting with Carter so maybe it won't make a difference.