2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Pretty fun segment here on NFL network...

Long story short. Holmes gets offers of the following...

Tennessee offers #11 + #41 + 2024 2nd

Minnesota offers #23 + #87 +2024 1st

Houston offers #12 + #73 + #104 + 2024 2nd

I believe all of Anderson, Carter and Wilson are off the board at this point. McCourty who played the role of Holmes turned down the trade offers and took Witherspoon (I'd hate that personally, not the Witherspoon pick necessarily but turning down those offers). It would be between Tennesse and Houston for me. You get more picks with Houston and that 2024 2nd could very well be a high one but two 2nds would be really enticing. The Vikings can F off with that offer.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Pretty fun segment here on NFL network...

Long story short. Holmes gets offers of the following...

Tennessee offers #11 + #41 + 2024 2nd

Minnesota offers #23 + #87 +2024 1st

Houston offers #12 + #73 + #104 + 2024 2nd

I believe all of Anderson, Carter and Wilson are off the board at this point. McCourty who played the role of Holmes turned down the trade offers and took Witherspoon (I'd hate that personally, not the Witherspoon pick necessarily but turning down those offers). It would be between Tennesse and Houston for me. You get more picks with Houston and that 2024 2nd could very well be a high one but two 2nds would be really enticing. The Vikings can F off with that offer.

I actually like Minnesota's offer the best.  I don't think Minnesota will be as good next year and possibly a mid to early first round for next year sounds very enticing.  There is a lot they can do with this draft as well and move up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id take Tennessee or Houston's deal in a heartbeat. Minny would need to pony up more for me to trade back that far cause given this draft you're unlikely to get a true first round talent picking at 23.

Half of second round picks never amount to anything

It would be nice to pickup another 1st for next year but my trepidation with that trade is just the general consensus of this draft.

Maybe Holmes's board is different than all the national guys but assuming it isn't if you go by the national board you would essentially be trading back to the 2nd round with that Minny trade cause I have yet to find one that has more than 20 players with 1st round grades. 

My issue with the Minnesota offer is value. That's the type of offer I'd expect from a team in the mid 1st (15-18 area) but to drop 17 spots and to, on top of that, hand a QB to the Vikings I'm asking for their 2025 1st in addition. If not, I'm perfectly content staying at 6 or dealing with somebody else.

This draft seems to be deep but not top heavy talent.  So getting a late first rounder this year, a first round next year, and a 3rd round pick I think would be fine with me.  With two 2nds and two 3rds, you can move that Minnesota (or our own 1rst round pick) to move up in this draft if there are certain players you want.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id much rather trade up as well assuming the cost isn't outrageous. Depth is always important in the NFL which is why you always want as many picks as possible but I think we're at the point this year where we are probably better served with quality instead of quantity. 

With that Minnesota deal, you aren't necessarily loading up in this draft and will have multiple picks next year and still have two firsts this year you can trade up to around 10 or so for someone like Witherspoon. 

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Minnesota went from 12 to 32 without picking up a 1st. All Minnesota got was a 3rd and a pick swap in the 2nd. 

Yeah, they got swindled.

And 17 spots up to 6 should be more expensive than 20 spots up to 12.

Edited by NYLion

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

With that Minnesota deal, you aren't necessarily loading up in this draft and will have multiple picks next year and still have two firsts this year you can trade up to around 10 or so for someone like Witherspoon. 

It's also worth considering if we really think this years QBs are bad... would we be helping a divisional rival make a draft mistake?  That might be worth something right there.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

If Stroud's floor was Goff or Ryan, he'd be a generational prospect. He's far from that. That's most likely his ceiling, a top 10 NFL QB but not an elite NFL QB. I'm using that pick as a trade chip if he drops to 6, have little interest in taking him.

When I think of generational prospects, I think of guys like Luck, Lawrence, and Williams, all of whom had/have supposed floors above a Goff/Ryan threshold.

I am not saying he is the next Mahomes, but I am saying I think he’s (apparently) falling for the wrong reasons and he’s the only QB I see as worth entertaining taking in this draft.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Matt Ryan was pretty good and a former league MVP. If that's the floor, Stroud should easily be #1. 

FWIW, I agree. He should be easily #1, but teams being hyper-focused on finding the the next Mahomes/Allen/Hurts/Burrow/Jackson is what is making Young #1, and is making scouts fall in love with Richardson and Levis.

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Remember this is the Lions we're talking about.  I'd be thrilled if half of our second round picks amounting to anything!

Me too. I was more just jumping at the point that Randy would take those deals for an extra 2 in a heartbeat. Most 2s never amount to anything. So is moving down a few spots just for the chance to buck that trend worth it? I rarely agree. Just take the guy five spots higher on your board. 

(not to mention we already have something like what 9 picks. Are we really gonna run into camp with a quarter of a roster being rookies? So picking up a 2 unless its to package with the other twos really worth it?)

To me with the guys they had off the board there is virtually no difference in talent between 6 and 11 so if I can get 2 2nds for that Id do it like I said in a heartbeat, in my eyes you'd basically just be giving me 2 free 2nd rounders.

Now if there was a guy(s) who I thought was clearly ahead of the pack and wouldn't want to risk losing him then no I wouldn't risk that for 2 2nd round picks but in this instance I don't feel that is the case. 

Also got to keep in mind that yeah 2nd rounders are risky but NFL teams still covet them, All Pros have been traded for less so if you can stockpile extra capital you can do alot with that aside from making that particular selection.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

When I think of generational prospects, I think of guys like Luck, Lawrence, and Williams, all of whom had/have supposed floors above a Goff/Ryan threshold.

I am not saying he is the next Mahomes, but I am saying I think he’s (apparently) falling for the wrong reasons and he’s the only QB I see as worth entertaining taking in this draft.

Goff and Ryan are multiple Pro Bowlers that led their team to a Super Bowl. Even the best prospects of all time had that level of QB as a floor, there's no guarantee that any prospect will be a perennial league MVP candidate. Stroud's ceiling is in that Goff/Ryan tier IMO, I don't see elite NFL QB upside.

Goff is a very good QB although comparing him to some of the best pocket passers of all time is a stretch.  He was a number 1 pick for a reason and the reason the Rams wanted to trade him was because he doesn't make good decisions when under pressure.  You solve that problem by having a great (not good if you want to win a championship) offensive line.  I have no problem with an extension although I don't want to pay him a top 5 QB salary because then having a great offensive line becomes more difficult because of the salary cap.  These are the decisions the Lions need to make soon and find out what he is looking to get salary wise.  If he wants to win and would be happy getting a salary similar to this contract he has now (in the 5-10 range for QB salaries).  I think the best decision is to keep him and find a QB to back him up for multiple years (either a Brock Purdy pick or Bridgewater).  If wants to be paid like Hurts or Herbert) than I think it might be best to take a QB at 6 (if its a QB that they like) or wait till next year if you think its a better year for QBs (remember he actually has 2 years left on his contract).