2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I feel better about myself for not getting pulled into yet another TJ Hockenson debate.   

One of the best parts of Brand New Lions is moving past all of that old SOL stuff and not getting caught up in the same bull****.   

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I feel better about myself for not getting pulled into yet another TJ Hockenson debate.   

One of the best parts of Brand New Lions is moving past all of that old SOL stuff and not getting caught up in the same bull****.   

And yet here you are getting into the Hockenson debate but only to look condescendingly on it. 

TEs and CBs are deep.  There are clear top tiers although I don't think its much of a drop off like other positions.  This is why I don't want them using 6 on a CB or 18 on a TE.

Problem is the Lions might just be in a situation where Witherspoon or Gonzalez are the most sure bets and if no one wants to trade with us.  We might have to take one of them. 

Most of the TE to Detroit talk is from national media who only know a few things about the Lions, one of which is the Hockenson trade. I don’t believe that Holmes thinks the position is a weakness, but it is a deep TE draft and if a TE ends up being the BPA they will take him. 

If Carter is on the board at 6, I haven’t heard anything that would make me not take him. Witherspoon seems like a great fit, but I’m not thrilled about him at 6. I feel better about Gonzalez’s physical tools at 6 (but still not great), but he doesn’t seem to be as good of a fit as Witherspoon.  

If Bijan is there at 18, the defense has improved enough through FA and pick #6 to take him. 

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

well then who do you take at 6?

might as well trade up then.

That's the conundrum, even though I say Id rather not take a db if the draft falls where there is no Anderson or Carter I don't necessarily have a better choice. Perhaps Bijan and then get somebody like Porter at 18.

19 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Worst outcome possible. Costa is an idiot. 

Not thrilled with the pick at 6, but not necessarily horrible.  Less happy with the pick at 25. I'd have taken Kancey. Would also need to see what else we got in the trade.

One part that's good: Carter going before the Lions pick. This will bail out the Lions here. If Carter is there at 6 and the Lions don't take him and he ends up being a star, or if the Lions take Carter and he ends up being a problem... those will big blunders. Obviously there's also the change that they take him and he's a star or the pass and he's a problem, but if he's not there at 6 then that removes the possibility of the Lions making the wrong choice.

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Not thrilled with the pick at 6, but not necessarily horrible.  Less happy with the pick at 25. I'd have taken Kancey. Would also need to see what else we got in the trade.

One part that's good: Carter going before the Lions pick. This will bail out the Lions here. If Carter is there at 6 and the Lions don't take him and he ends up being a star, or if the Lions take Carter and he ends up being a problem... those will big blunders. Obviously there's also the change that they take him and he's a star or the pass and he's a problem, but if he's not there at 6 then that removes the possibility of the Lions making the wrong choice.

worse, if ends up going to the bears and being a star.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Where do you have Calijah Kancey going? If he was there at 48 I would have taken him. Also, is the Swift trade straight up a 4th rounder for him or are getting something more?  A 4th for Swift seems low, but I might be putting too much value on him.

I like Kancey. If he’s there in the 2nd I would consider him too.

I don’t think Swift will get more than a 3rd or 4th round pick. He’s good, but he’s oft injured and in a contract year.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

well then who do you take at 6?

might as well trade up then.

I think the ideal would be to trade back a few spots. Obviously this requires finding a partner but there seems to be many players that there general conscious is: "Yeah, he's a good player and I'd like him on the team, but... not sure he's quite worth a #6 pick."

I mean if we could move back to the 8-12 range, pick up some more picks and still get either Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Wilson, or Skoronski... I wouldn't be opposed to that.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I like Kancey. If he’s there in the 2nd I would consider him too.

I don’t think Swift will get more than a 3rd or 4th round pick. He’s good, but he’s oft injured and in a contract year.

I don't even think Swift gets that much. Not much value in a RB in the last year of his contract who can't put together a full season. 

• Thanks 1

I've become a Goff apologist - I would not risk a move like Anthony Richardson, because if you're not accurate against college defenders, you're not gonna be accurate against NFL defenses - & while I am concerned about Stroud's S2 scores, if he does fall I would be fine with taking him - or preferably trading down to a team that wants a QB.  I'd rather see Stroud than a CB or TE at 6. At this point, I'd even warm up to Bijan at 6 & trading Swift.