2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think they end up drafting Devin Witherspoon at 6, Darnell Wright at 18, Siaki Ika at 48, and Jahmyr Gibbs via a trade up to the early 2nd round from 55.

Get out of my head. I was also thinking that they trade up for Gibbs but into the 1st round ahead of Dallas not in the 2nd. I predict Witherspoon (I think a consensus is forming there) and Van Ness at 18 with them giving up 48+55 for 25+late pick perhaps so... Witherspoon, Van Ness and Gibbs. Not ideal but not the worst either.

Edited by NYLion

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I do really like Goff although I just don't feel like you can pay him ridiculous money and assume its not going to affect the rest of the team with cap hits.  I think the Daniel Jones signing wasn't the smartest move although maybe I missing something with him.  You can pay Generational talent like Mahomes, Brady, Manning and still win Championships losing other great players.  Although if Holmes continues drafts like the last two, you can pay Goff and just keep on replacing other players.  That will be his decision.

I just want a patient approach with this team and not necessarily go for broke this year.  If that means taking a QB you feel is better for the sustained success of this team I am all for it.  If you feel like Goff is the best for that sustained success than I am good with that as well.  I will say that QB position is the hardest to draft for when there isn't the blue chip guy like Luck or Manning. 

Like Holmes said it's alot easier getting worse at qb than it is to upgrade there. I'm of the opinion once you have a top 10 guy you do what it takes to keep him even if it means overpaying a bit for him.  

Everybody loves the thought of finding the next Mahomes but as a franchise you can chase that for a lifetime and not find that.  

Kipers final mock has us taking Witherspoon and Mayer. I like both as prospects but boy that would be about the most unexciting and "chalk" selections as we could end up with. That's not to say in the end it wouldn't end up paying off but at first I would come away a little disappointed.

As we sit here on draft day, my thoughts are starting to change.  

I don’t like any of the these QBs and I also think they need a player that can help someway this year.   FWIW, I think 1 of the 4 will be good and the other 3 will suck.  I have no clue who that will be though.

This is a very deep CB draft and I like the guys at the top but I’ don’t see much difference between Gonzalez and Witherspoon and a Cam Davis, Joey Porter, or even a guy like Forbes.   We are going to get a good CB early in this draft but don’t think it needs to happen at 6. 

This is such a random draft with limited playmakers and the Lions have a boatload of picks including another first.  It really creates the ideal situation to take a risk.  

The best player in the draft who also plays at their biggest position of need is Jalen Carter.  He’s should be the pick if he’s on the board at 6.   Take the shot knowing there’s great risk. 

If he’s not there , they should try to trade with Tennessee at 11 for extra picks and they can probably  draft whatever CB that may have thought at 6.    They also could go Wilson too.  I have some concerns if he’s got an ongoing foot injury and I’d hate to have a Levi part 2.   Still would be willing to roll the dice with him too based on this draft situation.  

Im having a bit of a struggle with the realization that after months of debate I’ve come around to the same point of view as Buddha.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kipers final mock has us taking Witherspoon and Mayer. I like both as prospects but boy that would be about the most unexciting and "chalk" selections as we could end up with. That's not to say in the end it wouldn't end up paying off but at first I would come away a little disappointed.

I will be physically ill if they take TJ Hockenson 2.0 in Michael Mayer. Please no Tight End in the first round.

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t like any of the these QBs and I also think they need a player that can help someway this year.   FWIW, I think 1 of the 4 will be good and the other 3 will suck.  I have no clue who that will be though.

This is a very deep CB draft and I like the guys at the top but I’ don’t see much difference between Gonzalez and Witherspoon and a Cam Davis, Joey Porter, or even a guy like Forbes.   We are going to get a good CB early in this draft but don’t think it needs to happen at 6. 

This is such a random draft with limited playmakers and the Lions have a boatload of picks including another first.  It really creates the ideal situation to take a risk.  

The best player in the draft who also plays at their biggest position of need is Jalen Carter.  He’s should be the pick if he’s on the board at 6.   Take the shot knowing there’s great risk. 

If he’s not there , they should try to trade with Tennessee at 11 for extra picks and they can probably  draft whatever CB that may have thought at 6.    They also could go Wilson too.  I have some concerns if he’s got an ongoing foot injury and I’d hate to have a Levi part 2.   Still would be willing to roll the dice with him too based on this draft situation.  

Im having a bit of a struggle with the realization that after months of debate I’ve come around to the same point of view as Buddha.  

I am kind of with you.  I would say the only thing I wouldn't mind is trading down, still having two 1rst in this draft and get another first for next year because its looking like next years draft is going to be better although I have heard that often. 

I am loving the flexibility we have.  You can basically go for the guys you want.

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

i knew you'd come around!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I will be physically ill if they take TJ Hockenson 2.0 in Michael Mayer. Please no Tight End in the first round.

Yeah I think he has more upside as a receiver than Hock but I still would be disappointed. Ftr I don't see it happening, even in Mels write he just says something like Witherspoon replacing Okudah and Mayer replacing Hock. Its just lazily replacing the two positions we traded away with who he has as the best ones there.

I do think Witherspoon is the most likely option though if nobody unexpected drops but I think it has very little to do with them trading Okudah away. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I think he has more upside as a receiver than Hock but I still would be disappointed. Ftr I don't see it happening, even in Mels write he just says something like Witherspoon replacing Okudah and Mayer replacing Hock. Its just lazily replacing the two positions we traded away with who he has as the best ones there.

I do think Witherspoon is the most likely option though if nobody unexpected drops but I think it has very little to do with them trading Okudah away. 

I may be the only one who thinks James Mitchell should be given the opportunity to be TE1. It seems like there are a lot of people wanting the Lions to draft a TE. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I may be the only one who thinks James Mitchell should be given the opportunity to be TE1. It seems like there are a lot of people wanting the Lions to draft a TE. 

He's easily upgradable. If a TE is next on your board, for heavens sakes, draft him. You wouldn't let a James Mitchell stop you.

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm with you. I want to see what Mitchell can do. I thought he was a 1st or 2nd round talent last year but fell due to injuries. If I was the Lions, I'd be hoarding those types of players from round 2-7. Take every injured player that falls that is extreme value. If 2 or 3 shake out, more power to you......

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

because they didnt want to give him a big extension and they could trade him for assets.

So what happens if the TE they draft is good? The Lions also are like top 3 in cap space right now and they didn't acquire any additional assets. They traded him for pick swaps. 

Hockenson with Minnesota was on pace for over 100 catches. I just find it hard to believe they are going to in turn spend one of their high assets they received from the Hockenson trade to replace him when they didn't even fully utilize Hockenson. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

So what happens if the TE they draft is good? The Lions also are like top 3 in cap space right now and they didn't acquire any additional assets. They traded him for pick swaps. 

Hockenson with Minnesota was on pace for over 100 catches. I just find it hard to believe they are going to in turn spend one of their high assets they received from the Hockenson trade to replace him when they didn't even fully utilize Hockenson. 

i dont know what theyre going to do. they did get assets for hockenson, they got a second round pick.  if you want to call it "improved assets," that would probably be a better description.

they probably do like mitchell and will likely give him a shot to prove he can play.  i also think they wouldnt be above improving the talent in that room if the best player on their board at the time is a tight end.  mitchell being on the roster isnt going to stop that.  the draft is about upgrading talent for the future.

51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just had a very insightful thought... at least I think it's insightful...

Remember when you were a kid and you hated getting the gifts like clothes or shoes or other practical gifts? Now that you're an adult you may still like the flashy gift, but you understand that the stuff like new pants or shoes or whatever really are the better thing for you and pay dividends much longer than the flashy gift.

Have the Lions, perhaps, finally grown up to the point where the unexciting but very practical "gifts" are what's best for the team?

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Luckily for them they have TEs on the roster who can block. I can't wait to see Tater meltdown after they not only spend a high pick on a TE but spend a high pick on a blocking TE. 

None of them are very good at blocking, yet, although Wright shows some flashes, but all three are better than Hockingson was.