2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I run a 2 round mock daily just for fun.  As I'm not in charge of making the salary cap work, I went for the trade offer:

6. DE Will Anderson

Trade 18, 152 for 35 and Colts DT Buckner

35. TE Darnell Washington

48. CB DJ Turner

55. WR Rashee Rice

Wish I could go back and look at what receivers were available at 35 but I've been gung ho on taking Mayer or Washington if they get to us in the 2nd round.

It seems like somewhat of a consensus is starting to form IF rumors are to be believed, that being Young, Wilson, Anderson and Levis likely going top 4 with some rumblings of Paris Johnson going to the Cardinals at 3.

Either way, again if rumors are to be believed, it seems like Stroud could quite possibly be there at 6 which creates an interesting trade down possibility.

This draft kinda reminds me of the Sewell draft in terms of how many different scenarios and different directions that we could possibly go depending on how the board shook out. 

Nobody knew for sure if we would end up with an OT,Qb,WR or even TE if Pitts fell. Also didn't know if we were going to trade up or down since there were rumors of that as well whereas last year it was basically a given we were going one of Hutch, walker or Thibs depending on what Jax did. Same thing in the Okudah draft, barring a team trading up with Washington to take Tua leaving Chase Young for us it was basically a foregone conclusion we were going with Okudah.

It's hard to separate fact from fiction at this stage. Now Richardson is dropping into the teens as well as Stroud falling behind Levis. I think my favorite first round scenario is Carter at 6 and Robinson at 18, and i have no idea if that is even a possibility. 

I'd like Stroud at 6 but i don't know what to make of the bad score in that test the other day, plus the questions surrounding his leadership abilities.  

Oh well whatever happens the Lions are already a playoff team and will be much better this time next week.

6 minutes ago, KL2 said:

all based on a reddit post from a user who created an account 6 days ago

Lol really? I just heard them talking about the Levis odds briefly on the radio but I didn't hear where it all came from. That's crazy. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I think it's more than just that post. Reddit is powerful, but something behind the scenes is going on to make a line jump from 50/1 to 4/1 in the matter of about 24 hours.

Not saying he's going to the Panthers, but there might be some fire behind this seemingly nonsensical reporting linking him to all three of the Panthers, Texans, and Colts.

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it's more than just that post. Reddit is powerful, but something behind the scenes is going on to make a line jump from 50/1 to 4/1 in the matter of about 24 hours.

Not saying he's going to the Panthers, but there might be some fire behind this seemingly nonsensical reporting linking him to all three of the Panthers, Texans, and Colts.

I mean reddit moved the entire stock market with Gamestop. I don't think something has to happen else to make the line move. 

5 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I mean reddit moved the entire stock market with Gamestop. I don't think something has to happen else to make the line move. 

Sure, but that was a groundswell and planned attack, not a single anonymous post claiming to be something they may or may not be.

A week ago Young's odds to go #1 skyrocketed overnight and a few days ago Levis' odds of being the #2 pick jumped quite a bit, and neither of those were predicated by Reddit posts. I think the sharps generally do have connections that lead their money to picks, especially in something like this that is pre-decided but "secret".

Levis one of those guys that teams salivate over what he could be based off his physical talents despite the red flags in other areas namely decision making. 

I think they are of the mindset that stuff like that can be corrected or coached and maybe in a sense in can be but Id imagine if you look back on history it isn't as easy to do that as teams think or hope. Once in awhile you do get the Josh Allen so I think just that hope is what drives teams to still take a shot with guys like this. 

24 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

Levis is my favorite QB prospect in this draft now. As of today I have them ranked below and this was a recent change of order for me based on the recent test results. 

1. Levis

2. Richardson

3. Young 

4. Stroud 

wait, are you actually saleagreeable2834?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Levis one of those guys that teams salivate over what he could be based off his physical talents despite the red flags in other areas namely decision making. 

I think they are of the mindset that stuff like that can be corrected or coached and maybe in a sense in can be but Id imagine if you look back on history it isn't as easy to do that as teams think or hope. Once in awhile you do get the Josh Allen so I think just that hope is what drives teams to still take a shot with guys like this. 

nobody wants to miss out on the next lamar jackson or josh allen or patrick mahomes...

but everyone would like to miss out on the next mitch trubisky, who was also a great athlete who just needed some refining...

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

wait, are you actually saleagreeable2834?

Ha, maybe.

For me on these QBs it comes down to college systems and the talent that the players had around them in comparison to who they’re playing. Levis played in a conference where in half their games or more are playing against elite athletes that many time outmatched his teammates. Stroud and Young played in friendly systems where they had the better talent at every position then there opponents. They didn’t need to lead or to make their teammates around them better. 

Stroud limitations sounds like it could be the ability to process defenses. He didn’t have to do that in college. Youngs issues are his size for me. Richardson is time playing the position and inconsistent results. Levis to me is an accuracy and decision making. The last two guys could benefit in Detroit because we have the luxury of them riding the bench and being coached up for a year. 

I’ve never meet with any of them and have only watched a handful of games. I’d pass on taking all of them. But I’m not going to be to upset if one of them is our first pick either.