2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

33 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think there's a parallel because Carter is showing a lot of immaturity with his choices just as Jamo is. This recent incident just might reinforce that they can't afford to burn another high pick on another potential problem child. Then again, they knew about the gambling incident BEFORE meeting with Carter so maybe it won't make a difference. 

Maybe some parallels related to the maturity, but I don’t think Carter’s immaturity is what got him knocked off the Lions board. Though it didn’t help, and may have been the final straw, I think way back in January when the reports came out that Carter didn’t have a strong work ethic, that’s what did him in for the Lions.

Jameson may have made a dumb decision (like Carter), but I firmly believe he’s going to work his ass off until week seven and come out of the gate to be an instant difference maker. Carter OTOH makes a mistake and he shows up at his pro day overweight and completely out of shape to run basic drills.

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Maybe some parallels related to the maturity, but I don’t think Carter’s immaturity is what got him knocked off the Lions board. Though it didn’t help, and may have been the final straw, I think way back in January when the reports came out that Carter didn’t have a strong work ethic, that’s what did him in for the Lions.

Jameson may have made a dumb decision (like Carter), but I firmly believe he’s going to work his ass off until week seven and come out of the gate to be an instant difference maker. Carter OTOH makes a mistake and he shows up at his pro day overweight and completely out of shape to run basic drills.

why do you think carter is off the lions board?

I want Carter just cause I think he potentially has the most upside to help us immediately but with that said even though I personally think that it's not like he is a Suh, McCoy or Warren Sapp like level prospect, hell  he may be not even be Nick Fairley level atleast according to all the pundits pre draft grades so it's not unreasonable to pass on him if you have some doubt about his off the field issues. It's not like teams passing on a once in a decade plus type WR in Randy Moss because of it. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I want Carter just cause I think he potentially has the most upside to help us immediately but with that said even though I personally think that it's not like he is a Suh, McCoy or Warren Sapp like level prospect, hell  he may be not even be Nick Fairley level atleast according to all the pundits pre draft grades so it's not unreasonable to pass on him if you have some doubt about his off the field issues. It's not like teams passing on a once in a decade plus type WR in Randy Moss because of it. 

I think it is this combined with the work ethic concerns. If Carter was a Ndamukong Suh once-in-a-generation type prospect, this might be a different conversation, because even if Suh didn't give it 100% (which was never a problem), his 80% was good enough to dominate and his 50% was probably still good enough. Carter is one of the best players in the draft, but he's not generational. His 80% will probably find him struggling, and his 50% will have him out of the league.

30 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Were people talking about Carter being lazy and uninterested in football prior to the drag racing thing coming out?

McShay ran a pretty ambiguous "character concerns" story on Carter in December (before the drag racing had even happened) and was largely vilified for it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/todd-mcshay-georgia-jalen-carter-character-criticism/n3rve8vllbzkmuvclyfcelcf 

I wonder if the ambiguous "character concerns" was about the speeding stuff prior to the street racing incident. I know he could've sat out the rest of the season after his injury, but he came back and balled-out, which doesn't seem like what a lazy dude who is uninterested in football would do. But I'm just a dummy on the internet.

23 hours ago, holygoat said:

Were people talking about Carter being lazy and uninterested in football prior to the drag racing thing coming out?

Yes, there's been talk for years of Smart having to stay on him, and Davis and Dean working to keep him focused and motivated.

What’s exciting about this draft is that we have an adult with a great track record in charge.  With an already good team, we’re going to add at least 3-4 players who will improve it, as soon as next season. And cap space to plug holes, post-draft.

The Eagles added Matt Patricia to fix their D. SF does not have a clear cut starting QB they can count on right now.

NFC Champs or bust.

#bluekoolaid #ohyeah

Edited by Tenacious D

On 4/22/2023 at 5:50 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

2nd Round,  two picks (as of now)     If they can nab WR Cedric Tillman of Tennessee, it might be one of the steals of the draft.    A WR could have been on their list anyway.     Tillman is underrated.   

I'm not as interested in Tillman as I am in Phil Hiatt from Tennessee, who's one of the best burners from this class.

To me Tillman appears to be a perfect fit for our future x receiver. He may not fill the Jamo void as the burner that can kill defenses with the crossing route or going vertical but I think he would thrive as the guy that could move the chains for us by bringing in tough contested balls on the sidelines. Also has the ability to go deep and get up and get the ball at its high point.

Btw Raymond started to be a decent deep threat towards the end of the season so perhaps he can help fill that role till Jamo gets back. 

It may look like a terrible guy to be comped to now but I think Tillman could be alot like Kenny G was for us when he was healthy and at his best. 

Edited by RandyMarsh