2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I think the ideal would be to trade back a few spots. Obviously this requires finding a partner but there seems to be many players that there general conscious is: "Yeah, he's a good player and I'd like him on the team, but... not sure he's quite worth a #6 pick."

I mean if we could move back to the 8-12 range, pick up some more picks and still get either Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Wilson, or Skoronski... I wouldn't be opposed to that.

i'd trade down for a first rounder next year.  not sure if i want more picks in this draft, the lions have a lot of picks already.

i'd almost rather have them trade up.

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'd trade down for a first rounder next year.  not sure if i want more picks in this draft, the lions have a lot of picks already.

Yes, and Chicago has two firsts next year. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the ammunition that may make it possible to interfere with their draft plans in 2024?

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn’t go to bed after 18 tonight. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them package the two 2nds and come back up for a 3rd 1st

There would either need to be a major drop or Holmes' board would have to be alot more generous than the pundits. Reason I say that is me personally I haven't seen anybody have more than 20 players with 1st round grades so if Holmes is the same there may not be any player available at the end of the 1st that he feels is worth trading up for.

I think back to last year where Jamo was the last guy he had as a 1st round grade, during the war room video you can hear Holmes and Campbell say something like "Well are night is over" after the Jamo pick. They said that cause there was no need for them to watch the rest cause no matter how it shook out or who dropped there wasn't a prospect with a grade high enough that they would be willing to trade up for. 

49 minutes ago, NYLion said:

How is that idiotic? Witherspoon is the most likely pick at 6 (just about everybody is mocking him to the Lions now) and Torrence seems reasonable if they trade down.

Neither will be starters.  It doesn’t make sense.  Take a CB with a 2nd rounder. Don’t use a 1st on that position. And a guard in the first round? Gross. 

5 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Neither will be starters.  It doesn’t make sense.  Take a CB with a 2nd rounder. Don’t use a 1st on that position. And a guard in the first round? Gross. 

Outside of Anderson or Carter(who both are gone in these scenarios) who could they pick at 6 that you could confidently say would start from day 1? Maybe an outside WR or off ball linebacker but none appear to be worth picking that early. I think Bijan could make an immediate impact despite getting limited snaps at the beginning but unless Swift and Montgomery got hurt he wouldn't be starting or getting the lions share of the snaps. 

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Outside of Anderson or Carter(who both are gone in these scenarios) who could they pick at 6 that you could confidently say would start from day 1? Maybe an outside WR or off ball linebacker but none appear to be worth picking that early. I think Bijan could make an immediate impact despite getting limited snaps at the beginning but unless Swift and Montgomery got hurt he wouldn't be starting or getting the lions share of the snaps. 

Kicker

24 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Vaitai is nowhere close to a sure thing to make this roster much less start.    I’d give Torrance a great shot to beat him out if they drafted him.  

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Probably one of the TEs.

*DUCKS* 

34 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

You draft for long term stability at a position, not for next year. The Lions have one corner signed beyond next season in Sutton so it's a long term need even if Witherspoon might not start right away.

With that said, I agree that I'd pass on corner at 6 but Witherspoon might very well be BPA with all of Anderson, Carter and Wilson likely gone so I wouldn't hate it. Guard is another long term need, not a fan of taking one in the 1st but if it's in a trade down scenario I don't think it's that bad.

I honestly don't see many scenarios that will make the fanbase really happy outside of Anderson or Carter being taken. The draft is bereft of high impact players and one of the few high impact players available is Bijan Robinson which most would hate because he's a RB but I personally would be fully onboard with at 18.

If Anderson and Carter are gone I'd be fully onboard with Bijan at 6 and taking somebody like Porter at 18.(This is infact what I just did in the PFF mock I just did) It's redundant but it just comes down to how the Lions graded the players. It seems like there is no consensus online on who the best DB is and several all with 90+ grades so that's what I go by when I say to wait till 18 to get one but if Holmes has one or 2 clearly ahead of the rest then it makes sense to take them at 6 cause chances are they aren't going to be there at 18. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn’t go to bed after 18 tonight. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them package the two 2nds and come back up for a 3rd 1st

don't know how much safeties are valued, and he's just an average athlete, but a great football player, and if Brian Branch falls to the late 20s, he might be worth trade up

I think if Holmes does trade back into the 1st it would be shortly after we pick at 18. Like if there are a few guys he has his eye on there I think he would take the one he likes best then almost immediately try to trade back up to get the next one. I don't see him waiting till say 27-31 to see if he drops there before trying to get him.  He just strikes me as the type of guy that if he really wants somebody he isn't going to sit around and wait unless he is either really confident he is going to drop or if there are multiple guys he likes the same and can wait it out until it gets down to just that 1 player.