2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I was thinking that FA signings are even more of a pipedream. Chark at 2 yrs $20m? Jamaal at 2 yrs $7.5m? Wagner at 1 year $9m? Those guys would REALLY have to love Dan Campbell to sign at those prices.

I don't think the draft will probably actually go as perfectly as I mocked, but those aren't that far off. Spotrac has Williams at 2/8 and Chark at 3/28... Wagner isn't on there, but he's still getting paid from LA and he's going to be 33.

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think the draft will probably actually go as perfectly as I mocked, but those aren't that far off. Spotrac has Williams at 2/8 and Chark at 3/28... Wagner isn't on there, but he's still getting paid from LA and he's going to be 33.

I'll stop posting here for a month if Chark gets less than $10m/yr. It's a weak WR free agent class, Chark will be one of the more attractive options available and there's plenty of teams with more money to spend than the Lions so if he signs that cheap, it'll mean that he left money on the table which I don't see happening. I could see Williams taking a discount to stay so I suppose that one is possible. If Wagner signs that cheap, it'll be with a true contender IMO not here.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

I'll stop posting here for a month if Chark gets less than $10m/yr. It's a weak WR free agent class, Chark will be one of the more attractive options available and there's plenty of teams with more money to spend than the Lions so if he signs that cheap, it'll mean that he left money on the table which I don't see happening. I could see Williams taking a discount to stay so I suppose that one is possible. If Wagner signs that cheap, it'll be with a true contender IMO not here.

I agree it's possible someone treats him like Christian Kirk was treated last year, in which case I expect him to walk.

I disagree with the insinuation that the Lions are not a true contender.

I could possibly see Will Anderson sliding to the Lions but it probably would take Chicago trading all the way back to say Carolina's spot whether that be in one trade or trading back twice. Then you'd just need the 4 QBs to go off the board and have somebody like the Cardinals fall in love with somebody else.  Not an impossible scenario but would be a good one for the Lions.

Like I said before if Anderson is gone and all the QBs are gone so you are unlikely to be able to trade back then I'm basically open to picking anybody or position at 6. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree it's possible someone treats him like Christian Kirk was treated last year, in which case I expect him to walk.

I disagree with the insinuation that the Lions are not a true contender.

I think it's very likely that Chark takes the "bag" and walks.

The Lions had a nice season and could take another jump forward next season although development isn't always linear but, lets be honest, they aren't a Super Bowl contender. I don't think they have the cache right now to be on the short list for high end vets looking to win now.

Edited by NYLion

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think it's very likely that Chark takes the "bag" and walks.

The Lions had a nice season and could take another jump forward next season although development isn't always linear but, lets be honest, they aren't a Super Bowl contender. I don't think they have the cache right now to be on the short list for high end vets looking to win now.

With a quality offseason, I disagree. As crazy as that sounds to anyone from this area or has rooted for this team for an extended time, the stars are aligning for the Lions to be as good as they've been in at least 30 years. The Lions can be "sold" to any free agent out there, IMO and there is no team in the NFC that scares me.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I could possibly see Will Anderson sliding to the Lions but it probably would take Chicago trading all the way back to say Carolina's spot whether that be in one trade or trading back twice. Then you'd just need the 4 QBs to go off the board and have somebody like the Cardinals fall in love with somebody else.  Not an impossible scenario but would be a good one for the Lions.

Like I said before if Anderson is gone and all the QBs are gone so you are unlikely to be able to trade back then I'm basically open to picking anybody or position at 6. 

I think there are a few scenarios that could see Anderson fall into their lap, but it does probably start with Chicago dropping out of the top six. It's probably unlikely that four QBs go in the top five, as I would expect at least one of them to just be hype (probably Levis), and/or the Richardson talk to just be smoke. That said, it could be three QBs plus Wilson and Carter, or three plus Skonronski and Wilson.

I also wouldn't rule out the Lions moving up to get their guy if the Cardinals offer #3 for sale and it won't cost #18.

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think there are a few scenarios that could see Anderson fall into their lap, but it does probably start with Chicago dropping out of the top six. It's probably unlikely that four QBs go in the top five, as I would expect at least one of them to just be hype (probably Levis), and/or the Richardson talk to just be smoke. That said, it could be three QBs plus Wilson and Carter, or three plus Skonronski and Wilson.

I also wouldn't rule out the Lions moving up to get their guy if the Cardinals offer #3 for sale and it won't cost #18.

you never know.  a team could fall in love with any player and take them over anderson.  a corner, a tackle, anorher type of defensive end,  definitely a qb.

as much as i think its unlikely, its certainly not impossible that anderson is there at 6.  

53 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I could live with this mock draft:

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/lions-post-combine-mock-draft-detroit-projections/

#6 Chris Gonzalez, CB

#18 Keion White, DT

2nd Trenton Simpson, LB

2nd Hooker, QB

3rd Charbonnet, RB.

i could live with that, but white is not a dt, he's an end.  i'd rather see a bigger dt there.  id take mazi smith before white.

I think my post combine Lions big board for each of their 1st round picks looks something like this. I kept Jalen Carter off of it because I don't think this front office is taking him. I also kept QBs off the board because I don't think they are drafting one this high. There were only 6 guys, with Jalen Carter and a QB off the board, that I feel are truly worth picking at #6 and whom I think the Lions would actually take. A guy like Peter Skoronski is probably worthy of being picked at #6 but I don't think we are taking an OL that high. Assuming Anderson is gone by then, I would try and trade out of the pick. For the pick at #18 I tried to put realistic names on my list, so nothing too unrealistic like Will Anderson slipping to #18. I actually like Porter better than Witherspoon given his size and lengthy body type, but something tells me this organization probably likes Witherspoon better.

Pick #6

1. Will Anderson

2. Tyree Wilson

3. Christian Gonzalez

4. Myles Murphy

5. Devon Witherspoon

6. Quentin Johnston

Pick #18

1. Christian Gonzalez (I expect him to be gone)

2. Devon Witherspoon (I expect him to be gone)

3. Quentin Johnston (I expect him to be gone)

4. Joey Porter Jr.

5. Calijah Kancey

6. Bijan Robinson

7. Bryan Bresee

8. Nolan Smith

9. Kelee Ringo

10. Lukas Van Ness

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I’m really starting to warm to the Lions waiting for the Bears to trade out of #1 and then calling the Cardinals and doing what it reasonably takes to move from 6 to 3.

I wouldn’t give up #18 or get into a bidding war with a QB-needy team, but I would probably do [#6, #55, and our 2024 2nd] for [#3 and #104] or something similar.

It opens up our options considerably and puts a lot more in our control without taking too big of a hit in stock. If you’re in the QB camp, one of Stroud/Richardson/Young will be there. If you’re in the defense camp, Anderson/Carter/Wilson will likely all be there. I maintain that there is a greater than zero chance of Anderson being there at #6, but I’m definitely in favor of not leaving it to chance and going and getting your guy if you can.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m really starting to warm to the Lions waiting for the Bears to trade out of #1 and then calling the Cardinals and doing what it reasonably takes to move from 6 to 3.

I wouldn’t give up #18 or get into a bidding war with a QB-needy team, but I would probably do [#6, #55, and our 2024 2nd] for [#3 and #104] or something similar.

It opens up our options considerably and puts a lot more in our control without taking too big of a hit in stock. If you’re in the QB camp, one of Stroud/Richardson/Young will be there. If you’re in the defense camp, Anderson/Carter/Wilson will likely all be there. I maintain that there is a greater than zero chance of Anderson being there at #6, but I’m definitely in favor of not leaving it to chance and going and getting your guy if you can.

why would the cardinals do that and not take two #1s from carolina or vegas?  or the vikings or bucs?

i dont mind the lions moving up for anderson, but not if the price is multiple #1s....and i think it will be.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

why would the cardinals do that and not take two #1s from carolina or vegas?  or the vikings or bucs?

i dont mind the lions moving up for anderson, but not if the price is multiple #1s....and i think it will be.

If they get it of course. Have your limit and don’t cross it… But it’s not going to be a real big seller’s market unless you’re the Bears, and the Cardinals would probably like to stay within striking distance of the top defensive players.

40 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If they get it of course. Have your limit and don’t cross it… But it’s not going to be a real big seller’s market unless you’re the Bears, and the Cardinals would probably like to stay within striking distance of the top defensive players.

I predict Levis to be available at #6.

The Raiders will want him. I think the Falcons will too. 

And the Panthers will be desperate to move up to #6 so they can draft Levis, specifically.

I have no interest in trading up.

It will be a seller's market, at certain draft spots, depending on if the right guy is available...

Just say no to trading up.

Stay at 6, or get lucky with the right guy to trade out of at 6...

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I predict Levis to be available at #6.

The Raiders will want him. I think the Falcons will too. 

And the Panthers will be desperate to move up to #6 so they can draft Levis, specifically.

I have no interest in trading up.

It will be a seller's market, at certain draft spots, depending on if the right guy is available...

Just say no to trading up.

Stay at 6, or get lucky with the right guy to trade out of at 6...

At the end of the day it (like this whole thread really) boils down to what Holmes’ board looks like. I don’t remember the exact quote, but I know Holmes said something last year about the Jamo trade that he had Jamo as one of X number of players who they had in the highest tier of grades, and that’s why he went up and got him.

For me - if it’s not already obvious by my post history - I see a mile and a half difference between Anderson and the next best non-QB in the draft class. Point blank. I look at Hutchinson’s double team rate last year and can only imagine the havoc that the one-two punch of Anderson and Hutch could wreck on the NFC North for the next decade. After all, who needs a secondary when the QB is eating turf before the receivers reach the secondary? I kid… kind of. But if Holmes feels the same way, I don’t think he will sit on his hands while his guy goes three spots too soon.

In a similar vein, if you’re open to a QB, I think I see Stroud as a sure-fire quality starter in the NFL with a pretty enormous upside. If Holmes feels the same way, or falls in love with Richardson and says he wants one of Stroud/Richardson/Young, going up is the way to do it. Don’t watch him become the next Pat Mahomes on the Colts while you say “damn, I really wanted him and probably could have had him”

And then of course, if neither of those are the case, and he doesn’t want a QB, or is pretty equal on all of the defensive options, or really wants a corner with the first pick, then yeah absolutely - stand pat and move back if you can.

CBS latest mock has us taking Levis. Here's how the crack staff came to that conclusion. 

"Here's how I'd link Levis to the Lions: Detroit's GM Brad Holmes was with the Rams organization forever -- dating back to the St. Louis days -- before taking the job in the Motor City. Guess who he spent three years with in Los Angeles? Liam Coen. Who's Liam Coen? Levis' former offensive coordinator at Kentucky. [Michael Scott voice]: Boom. Roasted."

id give them an A for sleuthing but that's about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

CBS latest mock has us taking Levis. Here's how the crack staff came to that conclusion. 

"Here's how I'd link Levis to the Lions: Detroit's GM Brad Holmes was with the Rams organization forever -- dating back to the St. Louis days -- before taking the job in the Motor City. Guess who he spent three years with in Los Angeles? Liam Coen. Who's Liam Coen? Levis' former offensive coordinator at Kentucky. [Michael Scott voice]: Boom. Roasted."

id give them an A for sleuthing but that's about it. 

Holy crap... is CBS playing a weird version of 6-degrees of Kevin Bacon to do their mock drafts?

At pick 15 this team will pick this player because the current director of scouting's daughter is best friends with a girl who's mother once dated the uncle of this player's former Special Teams assistant coach from two years ago.