2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I did a post combine, post trade mock draft for our Lions. I did what I don't want them to do and went ahead and took Bijan Robinson in this draft. While I certainly see the immense talent Bijan has, there is simply similar value to be had later on in the draft at the RB position. I had Joey Porter Jr. available to me at #18 and thought about doubling down on corner but went Bijan instead.

image.png

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I think Bryce Young is a bust.  ...

I don't think Young will be a bust at all.

I just think he'll have a short shelf life if he takes off running too much. Or has a bad offensive line that allows him to get beat up all to hell...

On that basis, if you wanna call that a bust I would agree. But as long as he's standing upright I think he's more Drew Brees than bust...

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think Young will be a bust at all.

I just think he'll have a short shelf life if he takes off running too much. Or has a bad offensive line that allows him to get beat up all to hell...

On that basis, if you wanna call that a bust I would agree. But as long as he's standing upright I think he's more Drew Brees than bust...

Brees' playing weight is listed at 210 and he carried that well. There seems to be some question as to whether that +200lb number Young showed up with at the combine is real or not. But someone is going to pick him and at some point they will be able to look back and see whether it was a mistake or not, but that won't until long after they have made the call on the pick. 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I did a post combine, post trade mock draft for our Lions. I did what I don't want them to do and went ahead and took Bijan Robinson in this draft. While I certainly see the immense talent Bijan has, there is simply similar value to be had later on in the draft at the RB position. I had Joey Porter Jr. available to me at #18 and thought about doubling down on corner but went Bijan instead.

image.png

what did the eagles supposedly want at 6 to trade two first round picks for?

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Brees' playing weight is listed at 210 and he carried that well. There seems to be some question as to whether that +200lb number Young showed up with at the combine is real or not. But someone is going to pick him and at some point they will be able to look back and see whether it was a mistake or not, but that won't until long after they have made the call on the pick. 🤷‍♂️

bryce young is probably 180 soaking wet at his actual playing weight.

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

that actually makes sense.

I made the trade instead of drafting Carter because I still don't feel convinced that Holmes is taking Carter. I feel that the drag racing incident he was allegedly apart of and Carter's subsequent statement and behavior will keep him off or very low on the Lions board. He won't be a culture fit for them I feel.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I made the trade instead of drafting Carter because I still don't feel convinced that Holmes is taking Carter. I feel that the drag racing incident he was allegedly apart of and Carter's subsequent statement and behavior will keep him off or very low on the Lions board. He won't be a culture fit for them I feel.

I think he was crossed out in pencil even before the drag racing and that incident put it in Sharpie.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'd take carter.  

I'm on the fence. He wasn't driving the car that crashed. He didn't force anyone to race him. As I understand it the officer who spoke to him the night of the crash did not report any evidence of alcohol impairment. (Doesn't mean he wasn't impaired, of course.) And I've only heard of one other prior citation for reckless driving. At that time apparently the officer told Carter to tell his teammates to slow down, as if this was a problem the cops thought was widespread amongst the Bulldogs. This indicates it is as much a Kirby Smart issue as a Jalen Carter one. 

But usually when you turn over the stones you start to see a lot more that wasn't evident before. I won't be surprised if more "character issues" appear, and if they do I wouldn't want to draft him.

21 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Unless they get a CB in free agency I have to think that is the direction they go at 6. They just have to get much better there. 

However if they just have a much higher grade on one of the DL maybe they wait.

There are just so many good corners in this draft that I think they will trust themselves to find the diamonds that remain in rounds 2 and/or 3. The only exception I could see is if one of those top three corners (Gonzalez/Porter/Witherspoon) takes a Gardner-like leap. Certainly Sauce Gardner is an unrealistic expectation to have for any rookie corner, but if Holmes sees that kind of player in one of them, I could see that player being taken at #6... I don't see that in any of the three right now though.

This is stupid. Who are you going to trade with? The Texans have no incentive at this point, and the Cardinals want to go down not up.

Unless they want to trade with the Colts, and hope one of their favorites is there at #4 (instead of hoping he’s there at #9?), or wait until the Cardinals trade down and hope someone wants to trade up twice, this is just lip service that admits “maybe we will regret this trade”

It would be stupid for Carolina to move down any lower than 4th having made this trade. I suppose they could have all four of Young, Stroud, Richardson, and Levis valued high on their draft board. But it would be malfeasance on their GMs part to have made this trade, gotten rid of DJ Moore, and then either not draft a QB period or trade back to a spot where you miss out on one of your two highest rated QBs. 

With the addition of Sutton, I think my target board is something like:

1.6 Will Anderson (EDGE - interest in trading up), CJ Stroud (QB), and Tyree Wilson (EDGE)

1.18: Bijan Robinson (RB), Brian Branch (DB), Paris Johnson (OL), Calijah Kancey (DT), and Jack Campbell (LB)

2nd and 3rd Rounds: Remainders of 1.18, Antonio Johnson (DB), O'Cyrus Torrence (OG), Cody Mauch (OG), Darnell Washington (TE), Bryan Bresee (DT), Mazi Smith (DT), Cam Mitchell (DB), Quan Martin (DB), Byron Young (DT), Trenton Simpson (LB), Daiyan Henley (LB), and Clark Phillips (CB)

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

With the addition of Sutton, I think my target board is something like:

1.6 Will Anderson (EDGE - interest in trading up), CJ Stroud (QB), and Tyree Wilson (EDGE)

1.18: Bijan Robinson (RB), Brian Branch (DB), Paris Johnson (OL), Calijah Kancey (DT), and Jack Campbell (LB)

2nd and 3rd Rounds: Remainders of 1.18, Antonio Johnson (DB), O'Cyrus Torrence (OG), Cody Mauch (OG), Darnell Washington (TE), Bryan Bresee (DT), Mazi Smith (DT), Cam Mitchell (DB), Quan Martin (DB), Byron Young (DT), Trenton Simpson (LB), Daiyan Henley (LB), and Clark Phillips (CB)

First, I don't think adding Sutton, and just heard Emmanuel Mosely from the 49'ers... changes draft strategy on a CB. Talent still rules so if the right CB is available then just draft him...

I looked at the way I would draft:

1.6: Wilson & Murphy were my top picks from day 1 (assumed Anderson & Carter wouldn't be there... now assumes Anderson won't and Carter has been removed from Lions board), they're still my 1st choices. Then Gonzalez (which I think would be early) because he's my #1 CB and, I have no idea if he's a Sauce Gardner or not but, I rank top CB's pretty highly in the draft and again, he's my #1.

1.18: I had Gonzalez (again, my #1 CB), then Trenton Simpson (I love his coverage ability as a LB'er on TE's... we suck there and have sucked there for so long...). I don't think Glenn values LB's as much so c'est la vie. A secondary CB like Weatherspoon or Cam Smith if Porter & Gonzalez are gone. And then maybe Bijan Robinson because he's dominant and who knows when a good RB gets selected nowadays?

2nd and 3rd Rounds: I like a lot of the same guys you do... Antonio Johnson (DB), O'Cyrus Torrence (OG), Cody Mauch (OG), Darnell Washington (TE), Daiyan Henley (LB), and ... (you listed a lot of guys I don't think make it to our 2nd round picks, and a few that I have other preferences over...) and there are a boatload of others I like (Safeties like Jordan Battle), I like Charbonnet at RB, Adetomiwa Adebewore at DE/DT (3-tech), Hendon Hooker at QB, lots of O-Lineman and we just need to add one...).

I think 2nd/3rd you can add both need plus BPA whereas 1st it's closer to straight up BPA.