2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This discrepancy is what I was referring to earlier. It feels like those who scout based off of film are head over heels about the guy, while those who love their numbers, measurements, and analytics are more hesitant.

For me, I think the tail end of that quote Campbell got from an AFC exec is a bit laughable. “Are these sack numbers inflated?” He put up 37.5 sacks in 39 games in the SEC West. Was that too many for you? I think the numbers guys can get so far wrapped up in what their numbers say a player should be rather than what their eyes tell us they are. Some guys - especially the elite ones - can just defy your numbers and flat out ball.

Like you, I would love to see a top pairing with Hutchingson, but the lions like that opposing end to be a larger, edge holding, blocker absorbing type like Romeo or Paschal or Cominsky, until 3rd down, not a speed rusher like Anderson. In this especially deep draft, I'd like them to keep their higher draft picks for additional needs.

Sorry if this has been answered. I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything.

With the last two signings of CB's, do you think the Lions should trade down from 6? With this being a deep draft, if a QB falls to them, I'm sure there phone will ring. If they can get a pick in the teens and a 2nd rounder wouldn't that be worth it? At this point they can draft the BPA and since this is a deep draft, I think having more capital would be good. Do you guys think they should trade back from 6 now with the signings? 

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Sorry if this has been answered. I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything.

With the last two signings of CB's, do you think the Lions should trade down from 6? With this being a deep draft, if a QB falls to them, I'm sure there phone will ring. If they can get a pick in the teens and a 2nd rounder wouldn't that be worth it? At this point they can draft the BPA and since this is a deep draft, I think having more capital would be good. Do you guys think they should trade back from 6 now with the signings? 

Not before draft day. If Anderson is gone, & they decide not to move up to ensure they get him, I'd be fine with them moving down.  He's the only one worth moving up for, IMO.  I think I'd rather grab some more draft capital from another draft year. 

8 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

if they can get a #1 for next year they should trade down.

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

What would this look like (sorry I don't know value's of NFL draft picks)? Something like pick 18-30 + a 1st next year or is that too high?

if theyre getting a first next year, it would probably be a pick in the mid to late teens and maybe a 3rd this year.  but i dont have "the chart", i know there are a lot of different draft value charts out there.

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

BREAKING NEWS - A lot of people think that what they did isn't wrong.  

Watson maybe...... Vick spent nearly two years in federal prison after pleading guilty to dog fighting though, hard to justify a claim that that wasn't wrong.

All the same, this is a non-story. Stroud can cite Vick as an inspiration to his game while also abhorring what he did off the field. 

4 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I heard a few minutes on the radio and when someone called in to ask what the Lions were doing, Karcsh said that he thought they wanted to use free agency to pre-patch all the potential glaring holes (CB, RB, DL) so that when the draft comes, they won't feel any pressure to draft to need but will be free to go BPA no matter how the picks before them went down. Seemed like a take that matched the evidence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

It seems less likely since Carolina traded to #1. (I thought they might pick up the fourth QB at 6, giving Detroit the 9 and a second for the privilege. Instead they traded their next three drafts because the owner and and GM and coach don't seem to agree on who they want.) They will pick a QB, Houston will at 2, the Colts will at 4. If someone wants to trade up for a QB, they will likely trade up to 3 rather than 6.

But maybe Arizona stays put and takes Anderson and Richardson is hanging out there when the Lions go on the clock. And maybe something crazy happens with Baltimore and they suddenly need a QB. 

OTOH, I've seen a mock draft that has QBs going 1, 2, 3, 4, and Seattle taking Tyree Wilson at 5, leaving Anderson at 6. We can keep our fingers crossed. 

Edited by Jason_R

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Watson maybe...... Vick spent nearly two years in federal prison after pleading guilty to dog fighting though, hard to justify a claim that that wasn't wrong.

All the same, this is a non-story. Stroud can cite Vick as an inspiration to his game while also abhorring what he did off the field. 

Oh, its wrong, but there are a lot of people that think dog fighting is just fine.   

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

the thing is, stroud is nothing like mike vick.  vick was the greatest athlete to play qb, stroud is.....not.  and he plays nothing like mike vick.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, its wrong, but there are a lot of people that think dog fighting is just fine.   

Vick also did a lot more than dog fighting. He tortured and killed quite a few.

I guess put another way if Stroud was to say “Vick did nothing wrong” I would have an issue… as it is though, non-story.

I think it should be obvious he was just talking about players, with that said I see very few if any similarities between him and Vick. As Buddha mentioned Vick was an absolute athletic freak along with having one of the strongest arms to ever play in the NFL, Stroud is not like that. 

Now Watson on the other hand I could see and wouldn't be totally shocked if he hits that ceiling at all. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Vick also did a lot more than dog fighting. He tortured and killed quite a few.

I guess put another way if Stroud was to say “Vick did nothing wrong” I would have an issue… as it is though, non-story.

Here's you can see a video of his comments: https://nypost.com/2023/03/03/cj-stroud-says-he-looked-up-to-deshaun-watson-michael-vick/

FWIW, I think this is all very, very overblown.  He said that Vick, as an AA QB inspired him and he thought Vick was underrated as a passer, that Vick showed an AA QB can be a pocket passer.  What he didn't say was that he felt his game was similar to Vick.

For Watson he said thought his playing style was similar to Watson's style.  He did say he looked up to him, but that was right before he talked about the playing style so it seems clear he was referencing that he looked up to his playing style.

He also said that Joe Burrow inspired him... that he doesn't actually need to be the fastest guy on the field to still be effective with his athleticism.

It may not have been the smartest thing in the world to reference two QBs who had/have major off the field issues, but I think it's very clear in his (very brief) comments that he was talking about their on field actions that inspired and motivated him.  I think Stroud kinda got taken out of context because it made such a good headline.

I got a speeding ticket like 15 years ago for going 83 on the freeway and in exchange for no points on my record I had to go to one of those defensive driving courses. 

Giant waste of time, was there for only like an hour and it basically just told you things you already learned in driver's training. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I got a speeding ticket like 15 years ago for going 83 on the freeway and in exchange for no points on my record I had to go to one of those defensive driving courses. 

Giant waste of time, was there for only like an hour and it basically just told you things you already learned in driver's training. 

youre off the lions draft board.

The driving issue was the least of his problems with NFL teams.  The prior whispers about love of football and work ethic, the added weight post-combine and the terrible pro day workout are much bigger red flags.

I wouldn’t take him off the board but he’s moved down to a day 3 guy. 

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

The driving issue was the least of his problems with NFL teams.  The prior whispers about love of football and work ethic, the added weight post-combine and the terrible pro day workout are much bigger red flags.

after that workout i would be surprised if he's a top 5 pick now.  the bears may pick him at 9 but they seem to be leaning skoronski.  he may even be there at 18 now, but i doubt it.  he's too good of a prospect.  then again, randy moss fell to the 20s (not saying he's randy moss, but guys fall on character concerns).

just to echo MB on the bears, it is hilarious to see them think theyre suddenly super nowl contenders.  but these are the same folks who had them being over 500 last year so....