2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

PFF put out their latest mock and they have us taking Jalen Carter, but what really caught my eye is that they had the Raiders trading up to 3 with the Cardinals and all they had the Raiders give up is 7 and a 100. If that is truly all it would take I'd be making the trade right now if I was Holmes. 

44 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

PFF put out their latest mock and they have us taking Jalen Carter, but what really caught my eye is that they had the Raiders trading up to 3 with the Cardinals and all they had the Raiders give up is 7 and a 100. If that is truly all it would take I'd be making the trade right now if I was Holmes. 

The lynchpin in discussions for #3 surrounds the Colts. If the Raiders are in talks with the Cardinals, the Colts will certainly be given an opportunity to match…. I’m not sure Indy wants to be left with either taking the choice of either taking the 4th QB off of the board or waiting and hoping to get Hooker, McKee, or whoever else in the 2nd round.

If another team is involved though, like the Lions, Seahawks, Falcons, or whoever, the Colts might be willing to let it roll and hope that team takes Anderson instead of QB#3. But the Colts will still likely have the opportunity to match, and that’s what would drive the price up.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Arizona is in a great spot. They will take their pick of probably three trade options. 

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think you adjust the defense as needed for the talent you have. If Anderson is the pick, I would expect to see a lot of 5-1-5, blitz first / ask questions later nickel defensive looks.

Not as your base defense. If you are going to move up in the draft, you are going to do it for someone who really fills a hole and checks all your boxes. He doesn't, it just reduces his value to Detroit a bit. If your pick comes along and he's the top guy on your board, sure, take him, but trade up, nah.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Not as your base defense. If you are going to move up in the draft, you are going to do it for someone who really fills a hole and checks all your boxes. He doesn't, it just reduces his value to Detroit a bit. If your pick comes along and he's the top guy on your board, sure, take him, but trade up, nah.

Yeah, I haven't been clear whether there is a scheme fit either and I don't know why you trade up to get someone who doesn't fit your scheme.

I know people will say what about Aaron Donald. If Holmes thinks Anderson will become Aaron Donald, and he falls to them, then great, pick him. But even if he might become AD, you have to deal with: 1) Arizona might want him too; 2) Indy might trade up for a QB; 3) one or more surprise teams might want Anderson; 4) one or more surprise teams might want to trade up for a QB. I just don't see talk of a trade up as having any basis in any reality that Holmes is living in. 

Thinking out loud:

Lions' position needs still on the board and it looks like the draft will fill them (mostly backup spots):

Not ranked, just listed:

Backup QB - high-end options exist at the #6, and #18 through 3rd round spots, depending on evaluations and how the draft falls. Potential starters down the road include any of the top 4 QB's who fall to #6 (personally don't wanna trade up for a QB...); and I also believe Hooker could become a starter, uncertain about McKee, although I have absolutely no idea where he falls to in this draft... 2nd? 3rd? Does someone reach in the late 1st? I've seen him mocked a couple times at the back end of the round... We'll see if Holmes does anything in the draft with this spot... or not.

Backup RB - Swift is not a guarantee to be healthy the entire season and, more importantly, in the playoffs. I am perfectly fine with drafting another RB to back up Swift... I'll leave it to Holmes to decide who and when. I like Bijan in the 1st and Charbonnet in the 2nd/ 3rd-ish round area... Also several others in the 2nd/3rd round area but those two are my top favorites. Would Holmes be so wild and crazy guy from Czechoslovakia (err, sorry, went into a tangent there) as to draft Bijan at #6? I hope not... let's see what Holmes comes up with...

X-Receiver - This spot could actually be a starter at this point... until/ if/ when they get Chark back into the fold. I haven't really researched the draft at all in this area except that I spotted a boatload of potential draftees that could fit into this spot across rounds 1 through 5... This could go in any direction including drafting a backup for depth, after signing Chark, to using a 1st round pick on a guy... Another "have no idea" so let's just see what Holmes comes up with in the draft...

Backup TE - Developmental guy here if Holmes/ Campbell sees a guy that they like... could be anything. But please... no 1st round pick on this position. If a 1st round selection is used my auto-response will be "Are you freaking KIDDING me?!?!" No exceptions.

Depth O-Line - could be anything here too... including a potential starter in the 1st if that's the way they wanna go (I desperately hope not). I'd rather they use a 2nd-5th rounder on a depth guy who can back up for now and EVENTUALLY become a starter. 

Defense: 

D-Line depth, mostly DT - They don't NEED another outside pass-rusher but I won't rule it out, especially Anderson if he falls. I have no idea what they think of him. But I do NOT want to trade up for Anderson... I am not 100% in his camp as others on this board are... feel free to disagree. I think their bigger need is DT. A run-stopper would be a later pick (2nd to 6th...). A 3-technique rusher would be even better, IMO. (Maybe both if a 3-tech is drafted early and a run-stopper drafted later for depth...). The guy I like more than anyone else would be a starting run-stopping DE who can also rush the passer from the edge AND rush from the 3 (basically, someone who can play all over the D-Line...) and the guy I like who fits that more than anyone else is Myles Murphy. But he's my personal favorite and others like Tyree Wilson more for doing the same thing, and others prefer Anderson who would not be a 3-technique but is the superior edge pass-rusher.

LB'er Depth - Could definitely use another guy here and I like guys in each of the 1st three rounds like Trenton Simpson (I like all the coverage LB'ers because that is our WEAKEST spot in the LB corps, especially covering TE's...!!!); Daiyon Henley, and DeMarvion Overshown...

Safety & Cornerback depth - I could see a developmental pick for each of these positions... do they like Brian Branch in the 1st? Or Jordan Battle in the 3rd? Lots of guys available here in the early rounds and someone will slip to the 5th or 6th that they might like to add to the secondary room. As for CB, I still see the possibility of using anything from the #6, to #18, to early (2nd/3rd) to late (5th/6th) selection(s) on one or TWO CB's to add competition and depth to the room... there are a lot of nice CB's in this draft so I'll be disappointed if they don't grab a high-end/ high-round talent to add to the team. Later round flyers are great but... I want an early round selection used here on one guy.

Kicker competition - really wanna see them use a 6th on another kicker to compete with Badgley. I don't think I'm the only guy here on board with that... I know a team is not supposed to draft a kicker, but, we've successfully done it before and... let's see what Holmes does...

The dline depth chart I believe is: WDE -Hutch/Romeo, 3T -McNeil, Nose - Buggs/Jones, SDE -Cominsky, Paschel. A stand-up edge isn't a part of their base defense but that depth chart is Houston, Harris. 

Cominsky and Paschel can move inside on passing downs and they have a NASCAR package where they have multiple DE's and edges in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The lynchpin in discussions for #3 surrounds the Colts. If the Raiders are in talks with the Cardinals, the Colts will certainly be given an opportunity to match…. I’m not sure Indy wants to be left with either taking the choice of either taking the 4th QB off of the board or waiting and hoping to get Hooker, McKee, or whoever else in the 2nd round.

If another team is involved though, like the Lions, Seahawks, Falcons, or whoever, the Colts might be willing to let it roll and hope that team takes Anderson instead of QB#3. But the Colts will still likely have the opportunity to match, and that’s what would drive the price up.

Agree with all this. I think everyone is looking at the Colts to move. They have the most to gain moving up. Their fan base isn’t buying the “Get washed up QB and give them one more chance”. Since Luck they have gone Rivers, Wentz, Ryan. Crazy ass Jim Irsay is the trailer park trash version of Jerry Jones. I think they are the most willing to over pay to move up and land a QB.

It’s possible the kid is just depressed after everything that went down. Maybe being in an NFL locker room with a bunch of grown men to help him get his mind right is what he needs. 

Or maybe he’s been coasting on his talent thinking the rules don’t apply to him. 

Either way, I think Holmes and Campbell will have a good read on him. 

Speaking of the wisdom of men like Holmes, Campbell, and Glenn, here’s CGJ on AG. Said he would text AG every time he screwed up to get encouragement. “…I remember him telling me, ‘By the time I get you again, where I’m going to be at, you’re going to be exactly where I need you to be.” That’s really profound from AG. And an under appreciated reason why players want to play for these guys. Who wouldn’t want a mentor like that?

https://www.motownlions.com/2023/03/20/lions-c-j-gardner-johnson-helps-usher-in-revamped-corps-of-defensive-backs/

Edited by Jason_R

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

jalen carter's talent is what this team needs.

but....

I keep hoping there will be some explanation that comes out that explains the whole Carter thing(not just the racing bit but how he showed up to Pro Day) because from an on field stand point I'd probably want him even more than Anderson if there were no off the field questions but unfortunately there are. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

It’s possible the kid is just depressed after everything that went down.

I think this is a very possible explanation for the weight gain. He’s a 21yo who’s coasted to this point, and he’s watching his every mistake get scrutinized by tens of millions on a daily basis. Has to be really hard.

If it was just the weight gain and poor Pro Day workout, that would be one thing and I don’t think I would hold it against him. The lead-up to that though - between the report and the racing and the response - is what crosses him off in my mind. He’s just not the kind of guy I want to bet my regime on, and the guys who are are the kinds of guys you take at #6 overall.

I wouldn’t put it past Seattle to take him, maybe even above Anderson. Pete Carroll doesn’t have a regime to be concerned about at this point in his career, and he’s taken “character concerns” before. If he thinks the reports are just reports and that he can get Georgia Jalen Carter, he’ll take him without a second thought. That’s not the Lions situation though.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Probably.

And I agree with the superior (college) talent...

But I'm bettin' $1,000 (not really.... just theoretically) he is off Holmes draft board and he's off mine too.

What a shame.

i'll take that bet (not really...theoretically).