2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Two of the top ten Tight Ends in the NFL were first round picks. One of them was just traded and didn't even complete his full rookie contract with the team. Stop drafting first round Tight Ends!!!!!

Travis Kelce - 3rd Round

George Kittle - 5th Round

Darren Waller - 6th Round

Mark Andrews - 3rd Round

Kyle Pitts - 1st Round

Dallas Goedert - 2nd Round

Dalton Shultz - 4th Round

TJ Hockenson - 1st Round

Hunter Henry - 2nd Round

Dawson Knox - 3rd Round

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm starting to come around on drafting Carter. They addressed the secondary issue so there isn't a glaring need now. They have the 18th pick and two 2nd round picks so I may be willing to gamble a little with the 6th pick. 

The only thing Im afraid of is if he will effect our culture if the rumors of him being lazy are true, but if Holmes and Campbell draft him that tells me they have enough confidence he won't so that would be good enough for me. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

The only thing Im afraid of is if he will effect our culture if the rumors of him being lazy are true, but if Holmes and Campbell draft him that tells me they have enough confidence he won't so that would be good enough for me. 

yes; they absolutely deserve the benefit of the doubt, no matter which way they fall on Carter

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I will say Holmes and Campbell are more about tape than workouts. The character they are looking for is more on the field than off. CGJ punched Michael Thomas in the face. James Houston had the credit card fraud issue. They want players who eat and breathe football. I'm not sure Carter is that guy. He really gives me Nick Fairley vibes, however, I think the Lions are in a better position to gamble on Carter than they were with Fairley. 

Mcshay did bring up one positive point about Carter on the radio today and that was that he injured his ankle mid way through the season and it caused him to miss a couple games, he was already considered a top 5 pick at that point so he easily couldve sat out the rest of the season like so many other top guys have done in the past instead he not only came back but busted his ass and played his best football of the season down the stretch.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's nice of McShay to do a 180 on his Carter has charcter issues. 

I only heard clips of the interview but the clips they played he did double down on his stance that he heard that he doesn't give it all in practice which is what made him bring up that point I mentioned to try to balance things out for him I guess. 

2 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

If this is the board after 5, who do you take at 6?

26213629-FDFA-4FBD-A96A-0B7408CB56AA.jpeg

If trading down isn't an option I am probably taking Tyree Wilson, the Edge from Texas Tech. I'd also be ok with the Lions taking anyone of Christian Gonzalez, Devon Witherspoon, Quentin Johnston there. I wouldn't take Peter Skoronski this high, but if they did so I would understand the logic behind it and wanting to continue to have the very best OL in football.

I now want the Lions to trade down. Everything I'm reading about Carter tells me to pass. He may be a great player, but if he gets arrested in a year, what the heck do we do then? So I'll pass on him.

Let's trade back and just draft what we can. Get as many assets as possible at this point. I would love to get another pick in the teens and do something like a CB and Bijan in the teens and then have maybe another 2nd or 3rd rounder to play with for a LB. I'd also be happy if they got one of the two Linebackers that are supposed to be good (jack Campbell is the only one I know but theres another rated higher than him....). At this point, lets just get overall depth.

Tyree Wilson is who I want now at 6 if we don't trade out. Maybe I'm crazy. But Pass on Jalen imo.

Kiper still has Carter number 1 on his latest big board. I don't know what type of connections he actually has but he said something to the effect that from all the intel he is getting Carter hasn't dropped at all on NFL teams boards which is why he still has him number 1 on his.

If there is any truth to that I think that's good news for the Lions in my eyes, just one more premium prospect that a team ahead of us might be interested in picking which could drop somebody like Anderson to us. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Carter fits a need better than Anderson. If Holmes isn't concerned with Carter's character than you have to draft him. 

I agree.  If Character is not an issue (which as an outsider it seems like it very much is) then Carter is a perfect fit for the Lions need.  He's talented enough to be worthy of a high pick and fits in a spot that the Lions need help with.  Can't ask for more than that.

But again... I worry seriously about his off the field stuff.  Yes kids do stupid things, but his stupid things seem more stupid than normal. And not being in better shape for your pro-day after having to leave the Combine seems a big red flag.

• Like 1

I don’t think the issue is character as much as it’s work ethic.   They are not the same.  The car incident was tragic but that’s not what’s weighing him down.  

Does he really love football and is he willing to work and study to get better as a football player.  That’s the issue.  

Every top guy has talent but they also work tirelessly and are driven to compete and get better.  Most of the guys that bust out of the league weren’t able to take every part of their preparation to that next level needed. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think the issue is character as much as it’s work ethic.   They are not the same.  The car incident was tragic but that’s not what’s weighing him down.  

Does he really love football and is he willing to work and study to get better as a football player.  That’s the issue.  

Every top guy has talent but they also work tirelessly and are driven to compete and get better.  Most of the guys that bust out of the league weren’t able to take every part of their preparation to that next level needed. 

It was interesing/funny to here Jansen talk about this the other morning. You suddenly have a lot of money and opportunity but if you are going to be good you still just have to resign yourself that it's going to be a pretty boring life for as long as you are playing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It was interesing/funny to here Jansen talk about this the other morning. You suddenly have a lot of money and opportunity but if you are going to be good you still just have to resign yourself that it's going to be a pretty boring life for as long as you are playing.

It kinda makes me think of something Blake Griffin said when he was here, he was doing an interview and somebody asked him what it was like going from a city like LA to Detroit and he said something to the effect of "I practice, workout, play in games and any free time I spend at home staying out of trouble so it doesn't matter to me whether I'm in Detroit or LA it's all the same." Basically echoing the fact that atleast during the season that you live or should atleast live a pretty boring life if you are a pro athlete.