2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

they have one corner on the roster signed past next year.  they need corners badly.  take gonzalez or witherspoon before skowronski.

again, skowronski at 18 is ok.  trading down to the middle of round one?  ok.  but 6?  6 is a difference maker at a difference maker postion: quarterback, wide receiver, pass rushing dlineman, offensive tackle, play maker on offense, corner.

not a guard, not a linebacker, not a safety, not a tight end.

I don't love Skoronski at 6, but I would understand it. If Carter hadn't disqualified himself as a prospect it would be out of the question. 

Skoronski is sliding down a bit in some mocks. Early on it seems he was in the 7-12 range. Now some mocks have him going as late as 16 to Tennessee. He won't be around at 18.

He's similar to his predecessor, Rashawn Slater, maybe not quite athletically as gifted (9.28 RAS to Slater's 9.96). But he could easily be a Pro Bowl player at OG then kick to RG at the end of 2024 when Decker's contract is up and Sewell gets paid. And again, you have Vaitai at RG who has back issues, Ragnow who has foot issues, and Glasgow backing up both spots. Skoronski would play at a high level for ten years.

Maybe they like one of the DL better at 6, but I would get it if they went for Skoronski. 

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

they have one corner on the roster signed past next year.  they need corners badly.  take gonzalez or witherspoon before skowronski.

again, skowronski at 18 is ok.  trading down to the middle of round one?  ok.  but 6?  6 is a difference maker at a difference maker postion: quarterback, wide receiver, pass rushing dlineman, offensive tackle, play maker on offense, corner.

Yes, I would take Gonzalez (but not Witherspoon) before Skoronski. And I would be surprised if Holmes takes the WR at 6. But maybe that's why they let Clark walk.

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

I don't love Skoronski at 6, but I would understand it. If Carter hadn't disqualified himself as a prospect it would be out of the question. 

Skoronski is sliding down a bit in some mocks. Early on it seems he was in the 7-12 range. Now some mocks have him going as late as 16 to Tennessee. He won't be around at 18.

He's similar to his predecessor, Rashawn Slater, maybe not quite athletically as gifted (9.28 RAS to Slater's 9.96). But he could easily be a Pro Bowl player at OG then kick to RG at the end of 2024 when Decker's contract is up and Sewell gets paid. And again, you have Vaitai at RG who has back issues, Ragnow who has foot issues, and Glasgow backing up both spots. Skoronski would play at a high level for ten years.

Maybe they like one of the DL better at 6, but I would get it if they went for Skoronski. 

Or else they have someone one their board at 6 or higher that other people don't.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or else they have someone one their board at 6 or higher that other people don't.

His name is Calijah Kancey.  Take him at 6 and hope you have a stud DT under control for the next 5 years.  The top ones are getting $20M a year now too. 

Edited by Hongbit

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

I would take one of the Corners before Skoronski too. Gonzalez being my first choice. It's just that I don't believe Dave Birkett is way off base with his take that they could take him at #6. Especially if they believe he is capable of being a Tackle too or if they view him along the lines of a Quenton Nelson type of a Guard. The Lions and this regime values really good offensive lineman and players who give them versatility. Skoronski could give them both.

I feel like taking a corner at 6 is similar to when the Lions took Okudah at 3. None of these corners seem to be the next coming of Sauce Gardner, and it would be at least a little bit of a reach in both positional and player value to take one of them there. It’s kind of the problem with being at #6 in this draft. Skoronski provides better positional value only if he projects to tackle in the future. I’m not convinced one way or the other on that. 

I think Holmes does something with #6 other than take a less-than top tier player. Will Anderson and maybe Tyree Wilson are the only two who I think are in that elite group both position and value wise. I think a trade up or down is very possible, even if a trade down is on its face favorable to the other team.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I feel like taking a corner at 6 is similar to when the Lions took Okudah at 3. None of these corners seem to be the next coming of Sauce Gardner, and it would be at least a little bit of a reach in both positional and player value to take one of them there. It’s kind of the problem with being at #6 in this draft. Skoronski provides better positional value only if he projects to tackle in the future. I’m not convinced one way or the other on that. 

I think Holmes does something with #6 other than take a less-than top tier player. Will Anderson and maybe Tyree Wilson are the only two who I think are in that elite group both position and value wise. I think a trade up or down is very possible, even if a trade down is on its face favorable to the other team.

did you think sauce gardner was "sauce gardner pro bowl cb" at this time last year?

i'd be happy with christian gonzalez, will anderson, tyree wilson, or jalen carter at 6.

I doubt Anderson falls but if he does that’s great. Gonzalez has the athletic profile, tape, and upside to take at 6. Carter… if they think he can find his footing under their watchful eyes, then fingers crossed. Wilson… he seems like one of several lesser DL who are interchangeably mocked to us. I just don’t know. Skoronski arguably has the highest floor of any player in the draft. 

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

did you think sauce gardner was "sauce gardner pro bowl cb" at this time last year?

i'd be happy with christian gonzalez, will anderson, tyree wilson, or jalen carter at 6.

No, and I suppose if Holmes sees that in Gonzalez, of course I would be happy taking him. Though I’m not sure they would have made three free agent additions to the defensive backfield if that was the case.

I wouldn’t draft Skoronski at 6 if Tyree Wilson is on the board.   He’s best player available at a very valuable position.    Best player available should outweigh any short term positional needs.  I’d also question drafting a future RT that high.   Sewell was a different story as he was drafted to be a future LT.  

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I wouldn’t draft Skoronski at 6 if Tyree Wilson is on the board....

I would like to add to that:

I wouldn't draft Skoronski at 6 if:

Will Anderson is on the board.

Tyree Wilson is on the board.

Myles Muphy is on the board. (He's just a favorite of mine - with size (6' 5" 275 #'s) and speed (4.55 40), pass rush abilities, and the ability to slide all along the line, something Holmes/ DC/ AG love... Also, he's the best edge-setting (against the run) DE in the draft. Further refinement needed, but I take him for multiple reasons. Over Skoronski, EASILY.

Christian Gonazalez is on the board.

Bijan Robinson is on the board. 

Jalen Carter is on the board. (But ONLY if Holmes/ DC/ AG give their Seal of Approval.)

Devon Witherspoon is on the board. (But ONLY if Holmes/ DC/ AG agree with this.)

Will Levis is on the board. (But ONLY if Holmes/ DC/ AG agree with this.)

29 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Holmes doesn't draft for floors...

He drafts for upsides...

It sounds good as a slogan but he has had two drafts in which arguably the top prospect in each draft fell in his lap. We don’t know what he will do in this draft where there are so many question marks at his draft slot. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

My Preferences at #6 ranked
1. Trade up

2. CJ Stroud

3. Will Anderson

4. Trade Down 

5. Tyree Wilson

6. Quentin Johnston

7. Bijan Robinson

8. Peter Skoronski

9. Christian Gonzalez

10. Anybody Else

anderson

carter

gonzalez

wilson

richardson

I want to either trade up for Anderson or trade down. If we stay at 6 and both those options are gone then I'm really open to anybody including Carter. Yeah I share the concerns about his work ethic but I feel there are concerns about any other guy we would take as well whether it be on the field or value of position in the case of Skoronski and Bijan.  

In the stay at 6 and no Anderson scenario I'd probably go Johnston, Carter, Gonzalez, Wilson, Bijan.  The reason I put Johnston 1 over somebody like Gonzalez is that I feel we can get a similar CB prospect at 18 where as I don't think Johnston will be there at 18 and I really like the thought of getting that potential big X receiver. 

Same reasons with Carter over him, I think Carter as an on field talent is in his own tier among DTs and we wouldn't get somebody of his caliber and fit at 18. There may be guys like Clancy but I think he's a little smaller so doesn't fit what we need as well as Carter.

I am perfectly fine with someone who has similar skills as a Johnston, but is a lower round guy without the fanfare. And at WR there are a boatload of WR's with similar groupings of skills that, if you wanted to go to the ladder example and state that each WR is also a rung below the other ones, from Quentin Johnston on down, I wouldn't disagree. But I believe the rungs at WR are much, much closer together and are small steps down rung to rung where at CB they are much larger steps down rung to rung.

I rank CB as a more skilled/ valuable commodity in this draft. And don't want to go down too many rungs. Whereas I rank WR as a much easier get/ and a much lesser valuable commodity than CB.

Shorter version: I don't want to spend a 1st round draft pick on a WR. I do want to spend one on a CB.

Hearing all of the negatives about Carter is alarming but we're talking big money. Certain factions start rumors that may not be true. He got winded at the combine? He may have been sick. We just don't know the truth. Holmes and Campbell will do their job and feel comfortable with whoever they pick.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Hearing all of the negatives about Carter is alarming but we're talking big money. Certain factions start rumors that may not be true. He got winded at the combine? He may have been sick. We just don't know the truth. Holmes and Campbell will do their job and feel comfortable with whoever they pick.

Wow 

Talk about giving him every benefit of thr doubt. Impressive