2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Question 1...would you rather fight 1,000 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck

Ted Lasso's conducting the interview. 

To me the big question on Carter is whether he's willing to buy into what Campbell, Glenn, Scott and the defensive coaches are developing here. I think Campbell and Glen have strong enough personalities for the job. 

The true test is whether Carter can truly buy into the program.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

Skoronski, everyone grades him as a star at either tackle position, he may profile better as a guard, but that doesn't diminish his prospects as a tackle.

lots of people grade him as the top tackle on the board, but im not sure nfl scouts see him as that.

i was listening to something the other day that said no one in the league at tackle has arms that short, and only three tackles were close.  one is a decent player and the other two are bench filler.  it would be unprecedented to have someone with arms that short play tackle in the nfl.

that said, they also brought up that hutch's arms are extraordinarily short for a de and he seems to be doing fine.  precedents are broken all the time.  they said similar stuff about rashawn slater and he's been great.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

lots of people grade him as the top tackle on the board, but im not sure nfl scouts see him as that.

i was listening to something the other day that said no one in the league at tackle has arms that short, and only three tackles were close.  one is a decent player and the other two are bench filler.  it would be unprecedented to have someone with arms that short play tackle in the nfl.

that said, they also brought up that hutch's arms are extraordinarily short for a de and he seems to be doing fine.  precedents are broken all the time.  they said similar stuff about rashawn slater and he's been great.

Rashawn Slater only has 33 inch arms, slightly bigger than Skoronski's 33 1/4th inch arms. I'm not in on taking Skoronski in the first round and certainly not at #6. That said, if the Holmes did draft him at #6, #18, or in a trade back, as a means to replace Taylor Decker long term, I would understand and accept it. I don't know how Slater and Skoronski compare athletically, but Skoronski had a good RAS at 8.89. In my extremely limited knowledge, he seems to look athletic and strong enough on tape to play LT in the NFL. But who knows, maybe he isn't and maybe his short arms will get him bullied around.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Rashawn Slater only has 33 inch arms, slightly bigger than Skoronski's 33 1/4th inch arms. I'm not in on taking Skoronski in the first round and certainly not at #6. That said, if the Holmes did draft him at #6, #18, or in a trade back, as a means to replace Taylor Decker long term, I would understand and accept it. I don't know how Slater and Skoronski compare athletically, but Skoronski had a good RAS at 8.89. In my extremely limited knowledge, he seems to look athletic and strong enough on tape to play LT in the NFL. But who knows, maybe he isn't and maybe his short arms will get him bullied around.

well....i did mention slater...

the shorter the arms the easier it is to get into your chest.

but not im an oline guru, what do i know?

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He doesn't have to be a LT.

Sewell is a natural LT so if the Lions were fine with Skoronski at RT and Sewell at LT (if the time comes to move on from Decker in a year or two...), they might still consider him.

But I don't think he's on their radar at #6.

IMO.

I think Skoronski would be an atrocious pick/ atrocious use of our draft capital. No thank you.

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He doesn't have to be a LT.

Sewell is a natural LT so if the Lions were fine with Skoronski at RT and Sewell at LT (if the time comes to move on from Decker in a year or two...), they might still consider him.

But I don't think he's on their radar at #6.

IMO.

I think Skoronski would be an atrocious pick/ atrocious use of our draft capital. No thank you.

I wouldn’t call it atrocious but I don’t think it makes sense. Between Sko, Glasgow, and Vaitai, 2/3 aren’t on the field and that’s a lot of wasted capital.

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn’t call it atrocious but I don’t think it makes sense. Between Sko, Glasgow, and Vaitai, 2/3 aren’t on the field and that’s a lot of wasted capital.

I think Sko ends up at Guard (just my 'pinion) so I absolutely believe that's an atrocious outcome for our #6 pick.

I believe there are better Guards that can be selected in the late 1st through the 3rd; and better RT's can be selected in the same area. So, yes, atrocious.

And better/ more impactful players (all OVER the place!!! Players I rank higher than Sko: Stroud, Gonzalez, Carter, Anderson, Tyree Wilson, Murphy, Bijan... that's SEVEN players and I can find more (Weatherspoon) so why would I even CONSIDER a guard at #6...? UGGGH!!!). I'd rather select a WR at #6. Or Anthony Richardson for upside...

I would HATE the pick.

As much if not moreso than the Ebron and Hockenson selections. And if Okudah can't figure it out... he ends up in that same boat. Rogers, Williams, Harrington, etc... we are wasting way too many high in the first round draft picks... When is this going to stop?

Oh yeah... Holmes looks at draftees differently. I hope he has no interest whatsoever in Sko.

He would be an atrocious pick.

IMO.

Just say NO to SKO!!!

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Sko ends up at Guard (just my 'pinion)..

I guess I'm so totally burned out by those years locked into mediocrity by a not quite fit for his position O-lineman in the form of Dom-yeah-undersized-but wasn't-he-a-great-signal-caller-Riaola,  that I don't want to see them risk getting anywhere near that possibility ever again.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Sko ends up at Guard (just my 'pinion) so I absolutely believe that's an atrocious outcome for our #6 pick.

I believe there are better Guards that can be selected in the late 1st through the 3rd; and better RT's can be selected in the same area. So, yes, atrocious.

And better/ more impactful players (all OVER the place!!! Players I rank higher than Sko: Stroud, Gonzalez, Carter, Anderson, Tyree Wilson, Murphy, Bijan... that's SEVEN players and I can find more (Weatherspoon) so why would I even CONSIDER a guard at #6...? UGGGH!!!). I'd rather select a WR at #6. Or Anthony Richardson for upside...

I would HATE the pick.

As much if not moreso than the Ebron and Hockenson selections. And if Okudah can't figure it out... he ends up in that same boat. Rogers, Williams, Harrington, etc... we are wasting way too many high in the first round draft picks... When is this going to stop?

Oh yeah... Holmes looks at draftees differently. I hope he has no interest whatsoever in Sko.

He would be an atrocious pick.

IMO.

Just say NO to SKO!!!

I’m not going to say you’re wrong, it’s your opinion and we just differ slightly. It’s certainly unique to be a hell no on an offensive lineman but to each his own.

19 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m not going to say you’re wrong, it’s your opinion and we just differ slightly. It’s certainly unique to be a hell no on an offensive lineman but to each his own.

I'm not hell no on an offensive lineman...

I'm hell no on the WRONG offensive lineman.

Especially if there are many, many more, better, and more impactful, players... at any position.

Replace Skoronski with Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace and now you have my attention...

I'm with G2: I think Sko is closer to Raiola than (IMO) Pace or Ogden.

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Especially if there are many, many more, better, and more impactful, players... at any position.

This just isn't true. Gradewise, talentwise, valuewise, Skoronski fits right in with any pool of players who might be available at 6. To downgrade him simply due to arm length is ignorant.

20 minutes ago, Longgone said:

This just isn't true. Gradewise, talentwise, valuewise, Skoronski fits right in with any pool of players who might be available at 6. To downgrade him simply due to arm length is ignorant.

This is another version of the same question about receivers  - do you have to be 6'4" to be line-up at 'Z'? 

There is a always a physical prototype for a given position - if a player doesn't meet that prototype, that leaves three questions: How much does the prototype matter, how much does the player deviate, and how well has the player proven he overcomes the difference?

The bottom line in a this case is that Skoronski will be going against DEs that on average are bigger than the ones he faced at NW, so having less reach gives a additional level of uncertainty in his projection. So if you are interested you look at every snap he's played, hope there are enough against NFL grade opposition to evaluate and then decide for yourself if you think he projects, but you are still faced with a higher level of uncertainly than you would have had if he fit the prototype for successful OTs better. But it's exactly those 'out of the box' kind of decisions that good FOs gets right and bad ones get wrong.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is good to hear, though this time of year you take it with a grain of salt. It has not been clear where he slots in next to the two blue chip defenders. Many mocks go in many different directions after pick 5, indicating question marks.

When you read about him more you see things like “not fully polished” and that he will start as a “rotational player.” PFF has his best graded game against Murray State but with a pedestrian rating against Oklahoma State. Is that worth a 6?