2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont know what youre on about.  as usual.

you draft jalen carter because he's one of the only people on the planet who can do what he does.  the fact that someone he left a bar with, in a car next to him, crashed and died is not a reason not to draft him into your team.  not in my opinion.

nobody is dressing up sport as a moral resorative exercise or whatever psychobabble youre preaching.  jalen carter is a huge dancing bear who can get to a quarterback in less than three seconds.  that's what this is all about.

No, you don't draft him if he is immature, unfocused, unreliable and uncommitted, despite his physical talent.

• Thanks 2

The guy has some red flags but I see a lot of people jumping to conclusion and even convictions without having very much evidence. 

If Carter is off the Lions draft board that is fine with me. If he’s not off it yet, I feel confident that Holmes and Campbell, and almost certainly Sheila and Spielman, will do all the digging and interviewing they can. If they get comfortable with him, I’ll be ok with it. If they find more character concerns, or can’t resolve what’s already out there, they’ll move on and I’ll be ok with it. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

The guy has some red flags but I see a lot of people jumping to conclusion and even convictions without having very much evidence. 

If Carter is off the Lions draft board that is fine with me. If he’s not off it yet, I feel confident that Holmes and Campbell, and almost certainly Sheila and Spielman, will do all the digging and interviewing they can. If they get comfortable with him, I’ll be ok with it. If they find more character concerns, or can’t resolve what’s already out there, they’ll move on and I’ll be ok with it. 

lions are meeting with jalen carter this weekend.  one of their 30 visits.  so i doubt he is "off their board."

oh, so are the raiders.  so much for that report.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

This is where I am at, exactly to a "T".

The accident wasn’t ideal judgment but that’s not really an issue for me.   

I’m far more concerned that he essentially skipped the combine and then used the next 2 weeks ahead of his crucial pro day workout to put on 10 pounds and not be fit enough to finish positional workouts.   That’s a huge red flag that needs to be overcome and also gives credence to some of those unknown source rumors that we’ve all heard about him.    

Again, I’d take him at 18 but not willing to take the risk at 6.

Edited by Hongbit

It’s not like he’s some world beating athlete or freak of nature obvious top choice either. He came in as a good DT in a draft relatively void of high-end defensive talent. Because he’s considered the top pass-rushing DT I think a lot of people are imagining that we are talking about the next Ndamukong Suh or Aaron Donald, but Carter only recorded 6 sacks across 3 seasons of play.

If he was the next Suh or Donald, I think I might be a little more torn on taking him. But I don’t think he’s the type of generational prospect that you throw away your blueprint for organizational success for. There are plenty of other options out there that have a similar ceiling and arguably a higher floor. Hell, I would argue that Calijah Kancey is one of those players.

33 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It’s not like he’s some world beating athlete or freak of nature obvious top choice either. He came in as a good DT in a draft relatively void of high-end defensive talent. Because he’s considered the top pass-rushing DT I think a lot of people are imagining that we are talking about the next Ndamukong Suh or Aaron Donald, but Carter only recorded 6 sacks across 3 seasons of play.

If he was the next Suh or Donald, I think I might be a little more torn on taking him. But I don’t think he’s the type of generational prospect that you throw away your blueprint for organizational success for. There are plenty of other options out there that have a similar ceiling and arguably a higher floor. Hell, I would argue that Calijah Kancey is one of those players.

There's also a dark-horse guy extremely similar to Kancey in Adetomiwa Adebawore:

Almost exact same size, faster, more athletic, longer arms... but more raw, and played more DE than DT so he is a tweener until coached up to a 3-tech DT. But I think that's where he ends up and he looks like a higher upside than than Kancey, with a bit more roadway...

That's the guy I hope the Lions are targeting. 2nd round? Maybe even #18, but I don't know how that goes in the draft.

I'll leave that part up to Holmes...

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

There's also a dark-horse guy extremely similar to Kancey in Adetomiwa Adebawore:

Almost exact same size, faster, more athletic, longer arms... but more raw, and played more DE than DT so he is a tweener until coached up to a 3-tech DT. But I think that's where he ends up and he looks like a higher upside than than Kancey, with a bit more roadway...

That's the guy I hope the Lions are targeting. 2nd round? Maybe even #18, but I don't know how that goes in the draft.

I'll leave that part up to Holmes...

kancey is small for an nfl dt and wont be a de. adebawore is an end, not a dt.  only a dt in 3rd down pass rush situations.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

i dont know what youre on about.  as usual.

you draft jalen carter because he's one of the only people on the planet who can do what he does.  the fact that someone he left a bar with, in a car next to him, crashed and died is not a reason not to draft him into your team.  not in my opinion.

nobody is dressing up sport as a moral resorative exercise or whatever psychobabble youre preaching.  jalen carter is a huge dancing bear who can get to a quarterback in less than three seconds.  that's what this is all about.

Would you have drafted Reggie Rogers?

it looks like 4 QBs in the top 5 is more and more possible, leaving Carter (likely) or Anderson (possible but not likely) there for Holmes. If the QBs are all gone (and Holmes did not move up to take one), doubtful anyone is motivated enough to trade up to 6 considering lack of other elite talent in the draft.

Anderson seems to be a guy that gets at least a brisk walk if not a job to the podium.

Carter makes too much sense to pass up.

Staying put might just be the best and easiest decision.

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Charles Rogers? Titus Young?

Charles Rogers had a drug problem. Titus Young had psychiatric problems.

As far as we know Jalen Carter drives too fast and may be depressed over his connection with a fatal car crash — in which he was not the driver and he did not collide with the other vehicle. Not every red flag is the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Charles Rogers had a drug problem. Titus Young had psychiatric problems.

As far as we know Jalen Carter drives too fast and may be depressed over his connection with a fatal car crash — in which he was not the driver and he did not collide with the other vehicle. Not every red flag is the same. 

I'm just countering Budda