2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

The more I think about it the more I want Bijan or Carter at 6 assuming we don't do any trades. I think they are the two most likely to make an immediate impact on the team and could take the team to another level. I know that's being shortsighted but when was the last time we were in this type of position in regards to where we were in the division and conference? I want to take advantage of that and get the guy that can help take us over the top even if they may or may not be the best long term solution. We can worry about that with our other picks. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

The Rams took Gurley 10th. He had a relatively short career but he was a big reason that Rams team went to a Super Bowl. I don't see anyone drafted after Gurley in the 1st round that would make me say yeah I would rather have that guy. 

Bijan’s ceiling appears to be universally considered higher than Gurley’s too. Though Gurley’s downfall of injuries could happen to any running back.

Good managed teams don't make decisions on these reports.  They make decisions on their own evaluation.  There is definitely an equation on talent, draft position, health, ceiling, floor, outside the game issues......etc that teams make.  Some put certain factors above others.  Holme's said that he wouldn't want anyone to know some of the things he did when he was young.  Randy Moss at 18 was different than Randy Moss at 25.  Although Charles Rogers shows the opposite can happen.  Its just refreshing having confidence in your GM to make the right decision.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Good managed teams don't make decisions on these reports.  They make decisions on their own evaluation.  There is definitely an equation on talent, draft position, health, ceiling, floor, outside the game issues......etc that teams make.  Some put certain factors above others.  Holme's said that he wouldn't want anyone to know some of the things he did when he was young.  Randy Moss at 18 was different than Randy Moss at 25.  Although Charles Rogers shows the opposite can happen.  Its just refreshing having confidence in your GM to make the right decision.

Reggie Rogers too.

The Carter situation is starting to become simple for me.  

He is completely off the draft board at 6.    Not worth the risk that high.

If he’s slips all the way down to 18, everyone else is off the board and you take him here.    Worth the risk at 18, especially with this being their 2nd first round selection.  

Edited by Hongbit

22 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I will believe this only when (if?) Carter is available at 7 and the Raider pass on him.  This very well may be a true story but this is the time of year where one could never take any comments coming out of an NFL front office at face value. I think it's just as likely that this is misinformation intentionally leaked vs. real info that slipped... heck, it's probably more likely that it was intentionally leaked.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I will believe this only when (if?) Carter is available at 7 and the Raider pass on him.  This very well may be a true story but this is the time of year where one could never take any comments coming out of an NFL front office at face value. I think it's just as likely that this is misinformation intentionally leaked vs. real info that slipped... heck, it's probably more likely that it was intentionally leaked.

To what end?

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

To what end?

It could be they want Carter and so by leaking this news they are trying to make it look like even the Raiders are so worried about his character that someone like the Lions, who usually avoid character issue guys, should really stay away. In other words trying to keep people ahead of the Raiders from drafting him.

It could be that the Raiders are trying to make it look more like they'll be drafting the guy that teams after them are targeting. If a QB falls past the Lions and Carter is still on the board if you don't think the Raiders are going to draft Carter and you do want that QB, you might try to trade up for fear the Raiders take the QB.

Are either of these things likely to massively sway an opposing front office to make the do what you want them too? Probably not. But if a front office was close to doing something anyway this might be the nudge that pushes them in the right direction for you... and it costs you absolutely nothing, so why not try?

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

It could be they want Carter and so by leaking this news they are trying to make it look like even the Raiders are so worried about his character that someone like the Lions, who usually avoid character issue guys, should really stay away. In other words trying to keep people ahead of the Raiders from drafting him....

I think this really only works if they want to trade up for him.

As long as Seattle or Detroit believe the Raiders have no interest in trading up for Carter... they might stick to their board and draft position... Allowing the Raiders to move up (if they are able to) and draft Carter ahead of Seattle and Detroit (if they truly believe one of the two want Carter...).

Just thinking out loud...

Moving the Chains from SiriusXM NFL Radio is having its mock draft. Pat Kirwan had the Lions taking Tyree Wilson at 6 and Joey Porter at 18. I could be content with this.

On Wilson, he said he would be an upgrade over Cominsky (“a lunch pail guy”) and give Hutch a bookend. Said Wilson would play at 280 and there aren’t a lot of guys that big with his athleticism. Cited 40+ plays behind the LOS in last 23 games.

Also said Carter was still on the board here but he wouldn’t take him at 6.