2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

There are many more impactful CB in this draft than there are interior lineman.  I personally also don’t see as much difference between the top corners as I do the top DT’s.  It’s a bigger drop off.     That’s why I’d jump at Kancey at 6 over any of the corners.   You can pick up a starting CB at 18 or any of the 2nds in this draft.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This is a pretty weak draft at the top. It’s definitely the reason that some of these outlier names keep getting brought up so early.

This is precisely why I'd rather trade down than anything.  See if the Rams or another team that may wanna go QB wants to move up because 3 of them are already off the board - Get a couple more picks later or next year.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

decent mock here, expect for one pick

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-three-qbs-first-three-picks-colts-christian-gonzalez

3. DETROIT LIONS (VIA ARI): QB ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA

Trade: Detroit sends Nos. 6, 48, 81, 2024 1st, 2024 4th; Arizona sends No. 3

I want what they’re smoking if they think jumping three picks costs that much.

47 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I want what they’re smoking if they think jumping three picks costs that much.

Their suggestion is more realistic than the 6 and a second rounder. 

Arizona is open for business and probably has multiple trade offers on the table that they will play against one another. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

decent mock here, expect for one pick

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-three-qbs-first-three-picks-colts-christian-gonzalez

3. DETROIT LIONS (VIA ARI): QB ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA

Trade: Detroit sends Nos. 6, 48, 81, 2024 1st, 2024 4th; Arizona sends No. 3

on the modern draft value chart, the value of the #3 pick is 514 points.

under the same chart, the value the lions gave up in that trade above is 829 points.

the panthers gave up 745 plus dj moore to go from 9 to 1.  the lions would be giving up more draft capital just to move up 3 spots and not get the top pick.  

pff is full of crap.  theyre the same outlet that had us taking malik willis for months last year.

18 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Their suggestion is more realistic than the 6 and a second rounder. 

Arizona is open for business and probably has multiple trade offers on the table that they will play against one another. 

The Lions traded up 20 spots last year in the first round and didn’t surrender a future 1st. It’s a bit much to say that 365 days later they would give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, future 1st, and future 4th for a 3-spot jump.

For Arizona, yes it’s possible they will drive the price up by bidding the Colts, Raiders, and/or Titans against each other, but I don’t see it. I think at least two and possibly all three of those teams would be content to stay where they are at rather than trading serious value for the 3rd QB off the board. I think it would behove the Lions to engage Arizona in discussion about the #3 pick, but if there is a bidding war and the price is even remotely close to this I don’t think you even say goodbye, you just hang up.

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Lions traded up 20 spots last year in the first round and didn’t surrender a future 1st. It’s a bit much to say that 365 days later they would give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, future 1st, and future 4th for a 3-spot jump.

For Arizona, yes it’s possible they will drive the price up by bidding the Colts, Raiders, and/or Titans against each other, but I don’t see it. I think at least two and possibly all three of those teams would be content to stay where they are at rather than trading serious value for the 3rd QB off the board. I think it would behove the Lions to engage Arizona in discussion about the #3 pick, but if there is a bidding war and the price is even remotely close to this I don’t think you even say goodbye, you just hang up.

Trading to 12 is nothing like trading to 3, especially when you will be competing with multiple teams desperate for a QB lottery ticket, and also competing with Arizona’s interest in the draft’s blue chip defensive prospect. Throw the draft chart out the window. This is an auction with an exorbitantly high reserve. 

11 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Trading to 12 is nothing like trading to 3, especially when you will be competing with multiple teams desperate for a QB lottery ticket, and also competing with Arizona’s interest in the draft’s blue chip defensive prospect. Throw the draft chart out the window. This is an auction with an exorbitantly high reserve. 

FWIW the difference between #32 and #12 on the chart (610) is actually remarkably close to the difference between #6 and #3 (600). If it becomes a bidding war though, I think we agree that the ask could go sky high. I just don’t think it will.

40 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious. Are there any good QB's coming out next year? A lot of people are going for these 4 guys. But whose next year? (I'm assuming JJ McCarthy is 2 years away). Would be interesting to see though. Maybe next years the year we trade for a QB......

Caleb Williams from USC is the BIG prize next year

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Quinn Ewers are very likely to be ranked higher than any of the QB prospects this year come draft time in 2024. 

Looks like Williams and Maye are ranked in the top 3 next year at this early juncture...

Ewers plus 3 others have early 2nd round ranks, with another 6 getting 3rd round ranks.

Movement up and down all subject to results in the 2023 season...

Here a question then.  Would you trade with a team this year for the 6th pick for maybe a 2nd or 3rd in this draft and #1 next year?  The thought is you would be trading with a team that probably isn't going to be that good because they will have a rookie QB under center and then end up with a very good pick next year.  And then you can get your franchise QB next year and still have a great season.  Just a thought.  Maybe Tennessee or the Raiders.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Probably true, but OTOH, if his guys get drafted high and then bust wouldn't that be a bad look for the program also? I guess maybe it's a short term/long term cost thing.

I don’t see any way that a you man picking a college wants their perspective coach to sell out one of his players. Every player thinks they won’t bust and every player wants to be a top pick.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Are you allowed to weigh players on pre draft visits? 

Absolutely.  In-person medical and physicals by team doctors is a huge part of this process.  They can’t do any on field stuff but they can watch film and go over playbook stuff.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm sure these meetings are important, but this meeting is really important - more important for the Lions than Carter.

Holmes and Campbell have the franchise pointed in the right direction. I'll trust what ever call they (and Glenn) make on Carter.

• Like 1