2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think just as many of those guys spend a lot of time at clubs and bars and partying as those who refrain.

And you always end with the Mickey Mantle question - how much better might a guy have been? Or maybe worse.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think just as many of those guys spend a lot of time at clubs and bars and partying as those who refrain.

In 06 I ran into Nate Robertson and Curtis Granderson at 5th Avenue in Royal Oak. I can't remember if there was an off day for them the next but it was during the summer I know that. Considering Granderson(was of course super nice) is known as about as squeaky clean as you can get and even he was out drinking tells me that they probably all do the same to atleast some extent.

I do think there are some though that do what Blake Griffin claims he did and that's for the most part lead a boring life but may step out and have a drink on off days, not a huge deal if you're responsible about it. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

And you always end with the Mickey Mantle question - how much better might a guy have been? Or maybe worse.

mantle was one of the ten best players of all time, and he wasnt higher probably due more to his knee injury than hia drinking.

but the drinking didnt help, im sure.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

mantle was one of the ten best players of all time,

of course. The question of 'how much better" was possible is most interesting if you're talking about someone already near enough the top to enter GOAT consideration. 

But psychologically you also have to admit the othe opposite premise. As noted, the life of a pro athlete can be pretty damn boring if taken to a coach's recommended nose to the grindstone endpoint. How many guys would end up losing enough psychological/motivational edge that that effect exceeded the physical toll of whatever deviations from the straight and narrow they took. Unanswerable question, but not one I would dismiss. That said, if you are talking straight up addiction level alcohol abuse, there is no upside in that - but there is a lot of lifestyle choice in play short of that.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

of course. The question of 'how much better" was possible is most interesting if you're talking about someone already near enough the top to enter GOAT consideration. 

But psychologically you also have to admit the othe opposite premise. As noted, the life of a pro athlete can be pretty damn boring if taken to a coach's recommended nose to the grindstone endpoint. How many guys would end up losing enough psychological/motivational edge that that effect exceeded the physical toll of whatever deviations from the straight and narrow they took. Unanswerable question, but not one I would dismiss. That said, if you are talking straight up addiction level alcohol abuse, there is no upside in that - but there is a lot of lifestyle choice in play short of that.

I've never gotten this premise; that the only way to have fun, that the opposite of boring, is to drink.

23 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

If this is the board after 5, who do you take at 6?

26213629-FDFA-4FBD-A96A-0B7408CB56AA.jpeg

I think that's the likely top 5 with Richardson being taken before Levis. In this case, I take Tyree Wilson and he's the type of player this staff would fall in love with with all the size and athletic traits to go with versatility. He's kind of like the Travon Walker of this class with more college production.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

today's Athletic mock: 6 Wilson (DE); 18 Banks (CB); and 27 Washington (TE). Guy is a unicorn but that is a lot to pay. Pass.

Lions trade No. 48, 55, 183 and 194 to the Bills for 27 and 137

Surprise, surprise. Folks in Detroit might still be scarred by first-round tight ends, but I’m not. 

Not sure if I like the trade or not, but the price doesn't seem too high to me really.  We're essentially trading two mid-second rounders to get a late 1st round pick, and then trading two early 6th round picks to get an early 5th round pick.

I think I'd tend to want more picks for Holmes to work his magic, but I'd be tempted especially if they really like Washington.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He runs really fast and can throw the ball really far in a controlled environment. Never mind his 53% completion percentage. 

Small sample size alert. He needs about a thousand attempts in the NFL before you can really tell. /s

Chris Simms' put out his QB rankings for the draft and he has CJ Stroud 1 and in his own tier, in tier 2 he has Bryce Young and Hendon Hooker, tier 3 Richardson, tier 4 Dorian Thompson Robinson followed by Levis. 

I don't think Simms' is heavily respected among the NFL or scouting community so this probably isn't worth much but I just thought it was worth sharing since I believe this is the first one I seen that has Hooker ranked ahead of both Richardson and Levis and for DTR to be ranked this high. 

Matt Dery had Lions Beat Writer Justin Rogers on his Locked On Lions podcast today. Rogers threw in his opinion of the Jalen Carter to the Lions situation. He said he got the vibe from talking to people at the combine and based on Carter's terrible Pro Day that the Lions would pass on drafting Carter. He thinks Carter is not a character fit for what this team is trying to build from a culture standpoint and feels his work ethic isn't up to par for what they are looking for.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1