2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i would think the best you could do is #6, #55 and a second next year.  seems like a lot to give up.  but if he's micah parsons it might be worth it.

I agree. If the only hold-up was #48 vs. #55, I'd probably do #48, because it wouldn't take but a future late round pick to jump back to the mid-40s if needed. But generally, I agree.

Unless they start getting cute and want to send stuff back. I would probably do #6, #18, and #81 (or a future 3rd) for #3 and #34. At that point you have the capital to move back into the 1st if needed, or stay put and get three really quality players in the 2nd round (assuming we can break the 2nd round curse).

I will say after thinking about it a little more one thing that gives me a little hesitation about dealing a 1st next year is I think next year Is the year I would target your young qb of the future(if the Lions do feel that Goff isn't that) and without a 1st that would make it damn near impossible. 

If Anderson is everything everyone thinks he is, don’t you think Arizona will just pick him at 3? And if Arizona doesn’t think he is great enough to take at 3 and is entertaining trades, doesn’t that make us wonder if he is worth giving up a massive trade package for? And if Arizona has the pick for sale, don’t we think they are looking for a QB hungry team to make a QB hungry trade? If Arizona trades the pick they will be expecting a mid-round first this year and at least a first next year with multiple other picks. 

Anderson is not happening unless QBs go 1-4 and Pete Carroll falls in love with Carter (less likely after the workout) or Wilson. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

If Anderson is everything everyone thinks he is, don’t you think Arizona will just pick him at 3? And if Arizona doesn’t think he is great enough to take at 3 and is entertaining trades, doesn’t that make us wonder if he is worth giving up a massive trade package for? And if Arizona has the pick for sale, don’t we think they are looking for a QB hungry team to make a QB hungry trade? If Arizona trades the pick they will be expecting a mid-round first this year and at least a first next year with multiple other picks. 

Anderson is not happening unless QBs go 1-4 and Pete Carroll falls in love with Carter (less likely after the workout) or Wilson. 

i think its more likely that qbs go 1-4 and seattle takes wilson or carter.  historically, carroll likes big defensive ends.  i read that somewhere, i have no idea if its actually true.

if so, maybe they like wilson?  if a guy's comp is ziggy ansah is that a good thing?  ansah was decent but always hurt and there seemed to be a significant motivation issue there.  is a healthy ziggy worth #5 or #6 this year?  

and remember, seattle signed ansah after the lions let him walk.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think its more likely that qbs go 1-4 and seattle takes wilson or carter.  historically, carroll likes big defensive ends.  i read that somewhere, i have no idea if its actually true.

if so, maybe they like wilson?  if a guy's comp is ziggy ansah is that a good thing?  ansah was decent but always hurt and there seemed to be a significant motivation issue there.  is a healthy ziggy worth #5 or #6 this year?  

and remember, seattle signed ansah after the lions let him walk.

Yes, that’s the only route I see to Anderson. Sure Detroit could try to trade up but they’d have to outbid one or more teams desperate to trade their draft future for a QB in a box. It would be an insane price  

But Pete is a wild card. 

45 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I trust Holmes' valuation of talent far more than I do a new Cardinals GM.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I think some of the concerns with a qb needing team trading up are overblown. At best they are getting the third rated qb. They will have the same concerns all of us have about the guys. Are they really gonna mortgage the future on that guy?

Plus I can't remember a year where there were a bunch of trade ups into the top five for four qbs. This ain't the 2004 class.

12 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I think some of the concerns with a qb needing team trading up are overblown. At best they are getting the third rated qb. They will have the same concerns all of us have about the guys. Are they really gonna mortgage the future on that guy?

Plus I can't remember a year where there were a bunch of trade ups into the top five for four qbs. This ain't the 2004 class.

Fine but you are responding to something I didn’t say. 

14 minutes ago, KL2 said:

2021 class had the top 3 being qbs and the niners trading 3 #1s.  that was pretty close.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

2021 class had the top 3 being qbs and the niners trading 3 #1s.  that was pretty close.

Yeah nobody is disputing that trades happen. And nobody is diputing that ther have been draft when qbs go high.

But both at the same time? Can't think of it.

I just don't envision this bidding war others do with 6 teams clamoring to move up to three to get the third rated qb on their board.

Other than the big question of what they will do at pick six, what are the big questions in this draft? 

I‘m curious if they do anything at LB with one of their top five picks. I expect that top five will include DL, guard, at least one DB, and pending Chark’s next move, maybe a WR. But it seems like LB is their weakest position group at this point. Wonder if Holmes has been filling othet holes first, or if he really, really devalues the position. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just sign some other team's wasted 6th round pick to be a backup. Top backups don't want to come to a team where the starter is firmly entrenched, didn't miss a single snap the entire season, and has only missed 3 games due to injury over 6 years. 

Yeah get a camp cut. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just sign some other team's wasted 6th round pick to be a backup. Top backups don't want to come to a team where the starter is firmly entrenched, didn't miss a single snap the entire season, and has only missed 3 games due to injury over 6 years. 

Umm... I show Sudfeld had at least 6 snaps in 2022, so... I'm only joking... I get what you're saying.

I would prefer to have someone other than someone's wasted 6th round pick, but I also don't want to overspend.  I'm not opposed to drafting a QB early if they think someone is the next franchise QB (I don't see if with any current players, but I'm also far from an expert). 

I'm also not opposed to drafting a QB later if they see someone they think could be coached up to be either a competent backup they don't have to pay a lot of money for or even a diamond in the rough that will shock the league.  I don't know that I target backup QB in the sense of: "Well, I really would prefer dude-A or dude-B, but I need a backup QB so I guess I'll draft dude-E or dude-F instead."  But if at any given point in the draft dude-A or dude-B is a QB, I wouldn't not draft him just because Goff appears to be the QB for now and the near future.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

In other words, we're in the same situation as last year when we had crap as our backup QB until we picked up Sudfeld, another team's wasted 6th round pick that was slightly better than crap?

Holmes promised us better than that this year.

To me, that means Richardson in the 1st or Hooker in the 2nd... right?

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

In other words, we're in the same situation as last year when we had crap as our backup QB until we picked up Sudfeld, another team's wasted 6th round pick that was slightly better than crap?

Holmes promised us better than that this year.

To me, that means Richardson in the 1st or Hooker in the 2nd... right?

He could just re-sign Sudfeld. Sudfeld was superb in the 6 kneel downs he had last year. I'm not sure who is better at kneeling down than Sudfeld. 

Isn't Hooker supposed to miss most of this coming season? And while I like Richardson as a prospect he is just that a prospect and shouldn't see the field for atleast a season so I wouldn't consider him a reliable backup if he had to get thrown into duty if something were to happen to Goff.

Despite Goff's durability thus far I am of the camp of wanting a better backup just in case something were to happen. I feel like we have a real solid squad and I don't want our season to be ruined if Goff were to get some freak injury that sidelined him for a month or 6 weeks. Of course there is the mentality of crossing that bridge when it comes even if it means giving up draft capital for a team's backup.

• Like 1

i dont want to break the bank for a backup qb.  it would be nice to have a solid backup you could trust.  as san francisco showed last year, if you have a good OC and good team structure, you can put a decent game manager at qb and be fine.

that said, i'd feel a lot better about it if teddy bridgewater were the backup than nate sudfeld or some rookie.  just because goff has been durable for his career doesnt mean he wont get injured.  its football.  i dont want one bad hit to ruin the lions best chance to win the division in a decade. 

heck, the way the rams are going, stafford might end up a viable backup for detroit this year...

• Like 2

Circling back to Anderson real quick, out of curiosity I wanted to see how he graded to prior prospects and using Scouts inc.(unfortunately that's the only one I'm a member to) his 95 has only been topped 3 times in the past 10 drafts and none since 2016. The players were Leonard Floyd with a 96, Khalil Mack with a 96 and Clowney with a 98. There hasn't been any that matched that 95 since Chase Young in 2020 and before him Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett so he's in elite company and not your standard top prospect.

Edited by RandyMarsh

40 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Circling back to Anderson real quick, out of curiosity I wanted to see how he graded to prior prospects and using Scouts inc.(unfortunately that's the only one I'm a member to) his 95 has only been topped 3 times in the past 10 drafts and none since 2016. The players were Leonard Floyd with a 96, Khalil Mack with a 96 and Clowney with a 98. There hasn't been any that matched that 95 since Chase Young in 2020 and before him Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett so he's in elite company and not your standard top prospect.

Clowney at 98! Elite prospect!