2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I haven't heard anything that seemed official, or that seemed like it was from official sources, relating to Carter. All I've heard is speculation that Sheila would be uncomfortable with him. 

They will do their due diligence on him. I could see it going two ways.

One, an aggressive DA wanted to make a point to Kirby Smart to get his players under control by embarrassing his top NFL prospect with the most aggressive possible set of charges right during the combine. If that's the case, Carter is guilty of very bad judgment for racing, but didn't drive the car that crashed, didn't force the other driver to race, and didn't get cited for being under the influence. In this case, you pretend to walk slow to the podium and take him. 

The other is that they turn over the rocks a bit more and find out that Carter is full of problems and undraftable. 

I suspect it's number one. 

he's 21 years old.  21 year olds make errors of judgment.

i'll leave it to holmes and others to find out if those are really youthful indiscretions or if there are larger concerns about character and work ethic.

if he is truly off their board, i assume that there are other concerns that im not aware of and if thats the case dont take him.

but if not, you better snatch that talent up!

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

I haven't heard anything that seemed official, or that seemed like it was from official sources, relating to Carter. All I've heard is speculation that Sheila would be uncomfortable with him. 

They will do their due diligence on him. I could see it going two ways.

One, an aggressive DA wanted to make a point to Kirby Smart to get his players under control by embarrassing his top NFL prospect with the most aggressive possible set of charges right during the combine. If that's the case, Carter is guilty of very bad judgment for racing, but didn't drive the car that crashed, didn't force the other driver to race, and didn't get cited for being under the influence. In this case, you pretend to walk slow to the podium and take him. 

The other is that they turn over the rocks a bit more and find out that Carter is full of problems and undraftable. 

I suspect it's number one. 

FWIW, I don't think it's Sheila that is the primary concern with taking Carter, I think it's Dan, his staff, and the locker room culture he has assembled of no-nonsense, hardworking, kneecap biting football dudes. They're two years into this complete tear down and rebuild, and the rebranding of the Detroit Lions is still a work-in-progress until substantial and tangible differences are seen (e.g., winning a playoff game)... I don't think they are to the point of the Steelers or Patriots, where they can take a Jalen Carter and know that no matter what happens, the culture you've instilled will withstand. In New England and Pittsburgh, the culture and winning ways have been around since before Carter was born and - so long as Belichick and Tomlin are there - will still be there if Carter has to get labeled a bust and cut by 2026. In Detroit, if Carter is toxic to locker room morale, it could be a substantial flaw in what is being built... That's kind of the way I think Allen Park is looking at it at least.

It's not exactly the Ford family's MO to sign character concerns, but I get the impression that SHF would not stand in the way of drafting or signing a player who doesn't piss sunshine and rainbows, if that's what Dan and Brad think is best.

• Thanks 1

I've said it before, but I don't think it's even judgment flaws per se that are the fatal flaw to Carter being drafted by the Lions. I think it's the totality of the rumors leaking that he's not a big off-the-field workout machine, followed a month later by this situation, followed by a complete and total lack of accountability... He's immature and relies on his freakish athletic abilities, rather than putting 110% into being the best football player he can be.

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That wasn't the first time he was pulled over for speeding. He was also pulled over for doing 90 in a 45 and the police basically let him off the hook. 

Yeah, but the subtext of the whole situation is that lots of people in the UGA program are doing this. As I recall, when the police let him off the hook the first time, the cop told him to tell the rest of the team not to speed. 

It is not an excuse for Carter having done it, but I suspect that the timing of the charges being announced was calculated by the DA as a shot across Kirby Smart's bow. Get your program under control.

43 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have to say when I was 21 my errors of judgement didn't lead to people dying. 

he was speeding.  you never drove a car really fast when you were young?  i bet you did.  whether or not someone who was driving fast next to you got into an accident doesnt mean youre somehow a bad person or a risk that a company shouldnt hire.

i bet there's a massive list of young men who were involved in all sorts of risky behavior that resulted in injury when they were young and dumb.  some of them grow up.

36 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I've said it before, but I don't think it's even judgment flaws per se that are the fatal flaw to Carter being drafted by the Lions. I think it's the totality of the rumors leaking that he's not a big off-the-field workout machine, followed a month later by this situation, followed by a complete and total lack of accountability... He's immature and relies on his freakish athletic abilities, rather than putting 110% into being the best football player he can be.

the question will be whether he can be motivated.  again, if there are other issues with his character that we are not privy to, that's a different story.

i dont see the speeding incident as indicative of anything other than a young man's poor judgment.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

he was speeding.  you never drove a car really fast when you were young?  i bet you did.  whether or not someone who was driving fast next to you got into an accident doesnt mean youre somehow a bad person or a risk that a company shouldnt hire.

i bet there's a massive list of young men who were involved in all sorts of risky behavior that resulted in injury when they were young and dumb.  some of them grow up.

When I was in college I couldn't afford a car that went 90. I drove a 1989 Ford Ranger. From what I read, they weren't just driving fast but weaving in and out of traffic and even go the wrong way at times. 

40 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think this is the relevant issue.

A pattern of behavior is a problem. And would take Carter off the board, unless the team felt he would grow up quickly and not be destructive problem.

A lack of commitment to the team/ football/ practice/ giving 100% all of the time, is also a problem. And would take Carter off the board, unless the team felt they could inspire him somehow. 

I think Carter is off their board primarily due to problem #2. Problem #1 probably clinches it. 

And maybe the team could even absorb a player of Carter's talent and hope they could inspire him somehow... But I don't think they want that on this team... at this point in time. Like MC's earlier post... once DC has enough cache in the NFL (a couple Supers or so...); they might be open to drafting/ challenging a Carter... I just don't think they're there yet.

But what do I know? Watch them draft Carter and take their chances...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

the question will be whether he can be motivated.  again, if there are other issues with his character that we are not privy to, that's a different story.

i dont see the speeding incident as indicative of anything other than a young man's poor judgment.

I think all of these points are correct.

When I was 19 I took a bend on a country road that was marked at 35mph at 80 in a 1978 Ford Fiesta.  I spun out on gravel and lost control.  The car started flipping and rolling (cut the wheel hard because I was heading into a tree line). Came to a rest facing the opposite direction than when it started.  Thankfully..I didn't hurt anyone but me (compression  fx's in my thoracic spine).

I get the whole  "hey I'm A kid..I'm bullet proof" thing..so I'd draft Carter at6...if he was my BPA.

Sheila has been around a long time...she may be thinking "Reggie Rogers 2.0...no thanks".

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

When I was 19 I took a bend on a country road that was marked at 35mph at 80 in a 1978 Ford Fiesta.  I spun out on gravel and lost control.  The car started flipping and rolling (cut the wheel hard because I was heading into a tree line). Came to a rest facing the opposite direction than when it started.  Thankfully..I didn't hurt anyone but me (compression  fx's in my thoracic spine).

I get the whole  "hey I'm A kid..I'm bullet proof" thing..so I'd draft Carter at6...if he was my BPA.

Sheila has been around a long time...she may be thinking "Reggie Rogers 2.0...no thanks".

I had a fast car and I used to drive pretty hard but ironically (and mostly luckily) enough I always ended up with the car under control after someone else's accident. Funniest one was one night late coming back from A^2 as a student I had gone via Brighton (the current southern route of I96 wasn't in yet) and I was on Grand River instead of I-96 and all of sudden there are headlights on the ground in front of me. A guy had fallen asleep at the wheel, careened off the FW and rolled over ending up with his car upside down on GR Ave right in front of me. The guy was just crawling out of the window (had used his seat belt!) - seemed to be alright. I put a warning flasher I had on the car and drove the guy - 35ish upperclass by all appearance - over to the Mobil station that used to be at KentLakeRd. So the funny thing was when the State Troopers showed up they immediately start interviewing me - the long haired scuffy looking kid, about how I totalled my car. I took it as one of the great moral victories of my young life to be able to point the cops across the room to my rescued Yuppie.

So maybe Carter is alright....maybe.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Yes, and the Lions shouldn't draft us either.

• Like 2