2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

This such a bad trade for Carolina.   There are massive question marks on all of these Qbs.  Trading that much draft capital for one of them is insane.  It’s a complete shot in the dark.    David Tepper keeps stacking questionable moves in his short time as an owner.    His lack of any patience seems to know no bounds.  

I don't think it's a bad trade from the Panthers POV.

On the Bears side... we'll see what they do with these picks. Also, who said the Bears will draft Carter at #9? I'd be fine with that as I think he'll be a headcase (not dedicated to practice, the team, the coaching) and won't be as good as his talent dictates. We'll see about that... I'm just guessing...

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think it's a bad trade from the Panthers POV.

On the Bears side... we'll see what they do with these picks. Also, who said the Bears will draft Carter at #9? I'd be fine with that as I think he'll be a headcase (not dedicated to practice, the team, the coaching) and won't be as good as his talent dictates. We'll see about that... I'm just guessing...

I speculated that the Bears may be interested in him but that was just purely based on the rumors that were going around the past 2 months how they didn't want to drop to far cause they wanted either Anderson or him. 

Browsing the Bears and Panthers boards both sides seem to have a majority who are in favor of the move.

If I am a Bears fan, I like this deal, but I don't love it. A deal needed to be done, you could not stay at #1 under any circumstance. The deal gets you a good WR (who you will need to pay) and a 2024 1st that will probably be middle of the road. But also, you only net one additional pick in this draft, when you need talent across the board. The Bears still only have four picks across the first three rounds, and will still be dog shit next year unless they can find plug-and-play talent late, or spend a ton of money in free agency. The Bears may look to move back again, because they just have so many holes.

If I am a Panthers fan, I love this deal just as far as I love my team leadership. If I trust my GM to go get the guy, I love this deal. I'm confident that at least one of the four QBs will be a guy who pans out and it's now his job to figure out who that is. My gut says they fall in love with Bryce Young and regret it long-term.

If I am a Lions fan, I love it. One more QB going in the top five and one less defense-first team inside the top five. Now let's see either Holmes jump to #3, or a QB-needy team jump to #3. Win-win.

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I speculated that the Bears may be interested in him but that was just purely based on the rumors that were going around the past 2 months how they didn't want to drop to far cause they wanted either Anderson or him. 

Yeah... I don't know if they're still in love with Carter...

But it doesn't bother me if they draft him.

Until he proves me otherwise that is...

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Browsing the Bears and Panthers boards both sides seem to have a majority who are in favor of the move.

If I am a Bears fan, I like this deal, but I don't love it. A deal needed to be done, you could not stay at #1 under any circumstance. The deal gets you a good WR (who you will need to pay) and a 2024 1st that will probably be middle of the road. But also, you only net one additional pick in this draft, when you need talent across the board. The Bears still only have four picks across the first three rounds, and will still be dog shit next year unless they can find plug-and-play talent late, or spend a ton of money in free agency. The Bears may look to move back again, because they just have so many holes.

If I am a Panthers fan, I love this deal just as far as I love my team leadership. If I trust my GM to go get the guy, I love this deal. I'm confident that at least one of the four QBs will be a guy who pans out and it's now his job to figure out who that is. My gut says they fall in love with Bryce Young and regret it long-term.

If I am a Lions fan, I love it. One more QB going in the top five and one less defense-first team inside the top five. Now let's see either Holmes jump to #3, or a QB-needy team jump to #3. Win-win.

Just to be clear dj Moores cap hit is 20 million then 16 and 16.

No reason to worry about paying him

And the Bears have 80 million in cap space still after the trade. They will be able to sign some plug and play guys in free agency

Might have wanted to research your first half a bit better

Edited by KL2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Just to be clear dj Moores cap hit is 20 million then 16 and 16.

No reason to worry about paying him

And the Bears have 80 million in cap space still after the trade. They will be able to sign some plug and play guys in free agency

Might have wanted to research your first half a bit better

Should I amend my post to saying that "The deal gets you a good WR (who you will need to pay $20 million)"?

The Bears have to pay DJ Moore $20MM... In other words, 9% of the entire 2023 salary cap.... Nothing about my post was incorrect. He is not on a rookie contract and the Bears have to pay him a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Should I amend my post to saying that "The deal gets you a good WR (who you will need to pay $20 million)"?

The Bears have to pay DJ Moore $20MM... In other words, 9% of the entire 2023 salary cap.... Nothing about my post was incorrect. He is not on a rookie contract and the Bears have to pay him a lot of money.

You said they would have to pay him when anyone ever in hsitory writes that it's implied it's about a big jump in pay. Trying to argue you meant like somehow the Bears weren't aware of his cap hit when making the trade is just silly.

The Bears knew they would have to pay him because he was under a contract player and it stops them from making 0 other moves given their ample cap space. So it's really moot to say they have to pay him like it's some hindrance. 

It's OK to just say crap I should have researched my post better.

Edited by KL2

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I understood the post. KL2 is infamous at mischaracterizing people's posts and being a douchebag about it. 

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, KL2 said:

You said they would have to pay him when anyone ever in hsitory writes that it's implied it's about a big jump in pay. Trying to argue you meant like somehow the Bears weren't aware of his cap hit when making the trade is just silly.

The Bears knew they would have to pay him because he was under a contract player and it stops them from making 0 other moves given their ample cap space. So it's really moot to say they have to pay him like it's some hindrance. 

It's OK to just say crap I should have researched my post better.

I never insinuated that the Bears weren't aware of the cap hit. I said that if I was a fan, I would like not love the move, in part because the WR they acquired has to be paid (i.e., is not on a rookie contract / is not a draft pick). I don't think the Bears management is good, but they're not incompetent. I even agree with your second point. It doesn't stop them from making more moves, it's just something to be considered.

It's OK to just disagree with a post or feel you could have made a point better without being a jerk about it.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This such a bad trade for Carolina.   There are massive question marks on all of these Qbs.  Trading that much draft capital for one of them is insane.  It’s a complete shot in the dark.    David Tepper keeps stacking questionable moves in his short time as an owner.    His lack of any patience seems to know no bounds.  

i think carolina could be a decent team next year with bryce young at qb.  solid running game (ask the lions), good defense, bad division.  they can win 9 or 10 games with young.

then again, they better have a decent backup, lol.

anybody want to deal a 6th round pick for matt corral?  we have two of them...

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

... anybody want to deal a 6th round pick for matt corral?  we have two of them...

I doubt Carolina would offer Corral out for a 6th... but if they were, I'd absolutely say yes.

I view him and Hooker as nearly identical... both running QB's, Hooker a couple inches taller, a year older, and both were hitting a completion rate of about 67% in college. Both topped out in college (best year) at around 600 yards and 4 yards a pop. With some minor variances between the two. The Lions want a running QB for backup so they can get different looks during the week... especially when facing an upcoming running QB...

So the short answer is: absolutely yes.

But... I think there's a 0% chance Carolina offers Corral for a 6th... Nice fever dream though. I could buy into it.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think carolina could be a decent team next year with bryce young at qb.  solid running game (ask the lions), good defense, bad division.  they can win 9 or 10 games with young.

then again, they better have a decent backup, lol.

anybody want to deal a 6th round pick for matt corral?  we have two of them...

I think Bryce Young is a bust.  His best hope is to continue what he’s done his entire life and seek out a superstar team with elite talent and ride their coat tails.  Carolina isn’t it.

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think Bryce Young is a bust.  His best hope is to continue what he’s done his entire life and seek out a superstar team with elite talent and ride their coat tails.  Carolina isn’t it.

maybe so.

and it looks like carolina is all in for cj stroud.

speaking of which, here is mike tanier on cj stroud:

"An interesting median comparison for Stroud, with his pocket touch/timing and habit of getting antsy in a collapsing pocket: Highly Mobile Jared Goff. If you think about it, a dual-threat version of Goff would be one heck of a quarterback."

• Like 1