2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Good news for the Lions actually. 

*EDIT*

Thought they would get more to be honest. 

Seems reasonable to me. Moore is like a first round pick so he gets them help immediately to go along with 9 and still like 80 million in cap. 

Plus no wr is as good as him.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Probably to trade back but Chicago was a serious contender for one of Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. 

I suppose this improves our odds to get one of Anderson or Carter as the Bears were likely to take one of the two players. I do think though that Holmes and Campbell will hesitate to take Carter.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I suppose this improves our odds to get one of Anderson or Carter as the Bears were likely to take one of the two players. I do think though that Holmes and Campbell will hesitate to take Carter.

I think they will pass on Carter. There are still teams further down the line like Washington. I'll bring up Minnesota. They are cutting salary. Cousins is turning 35 and entering the last year of his contract. They are looking at a rebuild. Holmes has not been afraid to deal with Minnesota. Will he do it on a bigger trade? 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:
Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Does this also take the Bears out of the running for Chark? They still got a lot of money to throw around. 

I would say yes. They'll sign an rb draft an olineman and load up on defense. 

I know it's never going to happen cause this isn't the way NFL teams operate but if I were the Texans I'd be shopping my pick, particularly if there was a specific QB they had their eye on that they may miss out on. Load up on more draft capital, tank next season and draft your QB then whether it be Caleb, Maye, Ewers or whoever. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I know it's never going to happen cause this isn't the way NFL teams operate but if I were the Texans I'd be shopping my pick, particularly if there was a specific QB they had their eye on that they may miss out on. Load up on more draft capital, tank next season and draft your QB then whether it be Caleb, Maye, Ewers or whoever. 

They've been awful for a lot of years and tried to tank this year and screwed it up. At some point you have to start building

Just now, KL2 said:

They've been awful for a lot of years and tried to tank this year and screwed it up. At some point you have to start building

Definitely true, which is why I know it won't happen but in a perfect world I think it would be in their best interests unless they are really high on a couple of QBs in this draft. But like you said in the NFL it's hard to tank even if you try so the safer option is to just take the QB while you have the chance.  

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I don’t know why Chicago needed to do this now. Seems like a mistake not to wait until draft day. But I’m happy for Chicago to make mistakes. 

Probably did the feelers and didn't think it would get better, now you can set up your scouting and free agency knowing the plan.

Is holding out another three weeks really gonna push the colts to give up four first rounders for a non-luck type draft?

7 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I don’t know why Chicago needed to do this now. Seems like a mistake not to wait until draft day. But I’m happy for Chicago to make mistakes. 

It seems like these trades into the top 5 tend to happen well before the draft. Happened twice two years ago with the San Francisco and Miami trades. I also remember the RGIII and Goff trades happening well before the draft way back when.

In any event, this is probably good for the Lions because it enhances the chance of 4 QBs going top 5 depending on what Seattle does and one of Anderson and Carter dropping to 6 although I don't see the Lions taking Carter. 

I thought the Bears would get at least two 1sts in addition to dropping that far to 9 but they did get two 2nds and I'm sure they value Moore pretty highly so it seems fair.

Edited by NYLion

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Carolina may have more than one QB they like and would have been fine backing away from the trade and trading with another team. This locks you into the return. 

Yes Carolina may have just traded its next two drafts for the QB in a box. It seems strange that they would make this trade not knowing who they want but you might be right that they don’t know who they want. 

Maybe Chicago wanted the certainty of DJ Moore, whom both Chicago and Carolina can check off from their free agency to do lists. 

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

In any event, this is probably good for the Lions because it enhances the chance of 4 QBs going top 5 depending on what Seattle does and one of Anderson and Carter dropping to 6 although I don't see the Lions taking Carter. 

Yes, now Chicago is out of the running for a blue chip defender. We’ll see what Arizona does. 

On 3/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

My Mock Draft 3.1

1. Carolina Panthers (Trade w/ CHI): Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

2. Houston Texans: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

3. Tennessee Titans (Trade w/ ARI): CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

4. Indianapolis Colts: Peter Skoronski, OT/G, Northwestern

5. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech

6. Detroit Lions (from LAR): Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

7. Las Vegas Raiders: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

8. Atlanta Falcons: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

9. Chicago Bears (Trade w/ CAR): Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

10. Philadelphia Eagles: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

11. Arizona Cardinals (Trade w/ TEN): Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

12. Houston Texans (from CLE): Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

13. New York Jets: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

14. New England Patriots: Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama

15. Green Bay Packers: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

16. Washington Commanders: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

18. Detroit Lions: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa

20. Seattle Seahawks: Tuli Tuipuloto, EDGE, USC 

21. Los Angeles Chargers: Calijah Kancey, DT, Pitt

22. Baltimore Ravens: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

23. Minnesota Vikings: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jordan Addison, WR, USC

25. New York Giants: Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

26. Dallas Cowboys: Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

27. Buffalo Bills: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

28. Cincinnati Bengals: Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

29. New Orleans Saints (from DEN thru SF): Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame

30. Indianapolis Colts (Trade w/ PHI): Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

31. Kansas City Chiefs: Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland

Lions

2.18: Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M

2.26: Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

3.18: Cody Mauch, OG, North Dakota State

3.28 (Trade w/ BUF for D'Andre Swift): Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

5.18: Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton

6.5 (from DEN): Jake Moody, K, Michigan

6.18: Max Duggan, QB, TCU

Relevant Free Agency: Jamel Dean, CB (3/$50MM, $25MM guaranteed); Bobby Wagner, LB (1/$9MM, fully guaranteed); Andy Dalton, QB (1/$3MM, fully guaranteed)

Relevant Re-signings: DJ Chark (2/$20MM, $10MM guaranteed); Jamaal Williams (2/$7.5MM, $5MM guaranteed)

Relevant Release: Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OG; Romeo Okwara, EDGE

Restructure: Jared Goff, QB

MichiganCardinal Logic: The Panthers-Bears trade happened, so everything else will happen too. 😉 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Holy shit, that really sucks for us and our prospects to trade back doesn't it?

46 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

... There are still teams further down the line like Washington. I'll bring up Minnesota. They are cutting salary. Cousins is turning 35 and entering the last year of his contract. They are looking at a rebuild. Holmes has not been afraid to deal with Minnesota. Will he do it on a bigger trade? 

I think our trade down options are limited to only if one of Will Levis or AR being available at #6, and a few teams wanting to draft that QB (Raiders?, Falcons?, Vikings?).

So yeah, our prospects to trade back dropped a bit with the Panthers jumping to #1.

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

As Lions fans lets hope Carolina is drafting Stroud or Young who I think are most NFL ready, I don't want them to draft a developmental guy like Richardson and suck next year so Chicago gets another top pick or God forbid the 1st pick and Caleb Williams sweepstakes. 

The Panthers have stated that they are NOT interested in AR. They do NOT want a developmental QB but want an NFL-ready QB only. They have publicly stated that they had interest in 3 QB's only, based on those parameters. My guess is that, that order would be Stroud/ Young/ Levis. So I think they're drafting Stroud.

IMO.

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bears fans had been talking about getting three 1sts from the Lions. This has to be a let down. 

They drop from #1 to #9, get two 2nd round picks from the Panthers, and a WR taken 24th overall in 2018 and who catches approximately 58% of his targets but is good for 1,200-ish yards with a good QB...

And a Panthers 1st next year that, if they improve as much as they think they should, would end up mid-1st or later for the Bears...

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be as much as I thought it might be...

I am not afraid.