2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

There must be something else he likes about Vick and Watson. Can’t quite put my finger on it. 

Precisely, I'm surprised that others didn't pick up on this sooner. Has nothing to do with their off the field stuff or their play style. it's more likely that it's a black athlete that is inspired by other black athletes at a position that's been predominantly white historically.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Precisely, I'm surprised that others didn't pick up on this sooner. Has nothing to do with their off the field stuff or their play style. it's more likely that it's a black athlete that is inspired by other black athletes at a position that's been predominantly white historically.

sure, but there are black qbs who dont murder dogs and sexually assault massage therapists.  lol.

but i agree with everyone who says this is nothing.  i just think its funny.  plus he's a buckeye so you know he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

sure, but there are black qbs who dont murder dogs and sexually assault massage therapists.  lol.

but i agree with everyone who says this is nothing.  i just think its funny.  plus he's a buckeye so you know he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Yeah he could have chosen better role models to inspire him but I just think it's a case of those two being the most identifiable modern black QBs. Mahomes has too much white in him.

Vick is probably the most athletic/ best running qb of all time(Lamar and Fields are getting close though) and Stroud has had some questions about his mobility so he probably said he inspires him as a  subtle strategic play to let teams know that he emulates more than just pure passers and is open to scrambling or running if need be. 

Turn on the radio and couldn't make it through 5 minutes without turning it off. Valenti and Mr. Lions Hater Rico Beard were hyping up Jalen Carter and talking about how stupid the Lions would be to pass on him at 6. Of course they know full well the Lions aren't going to pick him which is why they are saying this in the first place so they can spend the next 6 months trashing them over whoever they picked.

Then of course if somehow the Lions do pick Carter and something goes wrong again with the law or he disrupts the locker room etc. it will be "All the signs were there with him yet they still took him, they preach how meaningful the culture is yet had no problem taking somebody like this knowing full well that this could happen etc. etc."

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Yeah he could have chosen better role models to inspire him but I just think it's a case of those two being the most identifiable modern black QBs. Mahomes has too much white in him.

Someone send him VHS tapes of Warren Moon!

He’s a better comp anyway. 

I've been dismissive of the Lions drafting a WR or OL with their first pick in the first round, whether at #6 or if they trade back. But maybe I shouldn't be. Is there a realistic chance that Brad Holmes has either Quentin Johnson or Peter Skoronski rated highly enough on the Lions draft board that he would pick one of them at #6 or with a trade down to a few spots lower?

I originally would have dismissed this idea entirely. However, there are a few not very scientific things that make feel this isn't entirely a stretch. I do feel their draft board has changed with the recent Jalen Carter news and I think he has fallen down or completely off their board, opening up a spot for someone to rise up. They haven't resigned DJ Chark yet and clearly still need an outside, big-bodied, contested catch WR and Quentin Johnson fits that role perfectly given his height and style of play. As well, Brad Holmes has clearly shown he loves building in the trenches and dominating up front. It seems he feels the key to success is to have a dominate offensive line and Skoronski could become their long term starter to replace Vaitai or slide over eventually and replace Decker at Guard.

Should we be giving more credence to either one of these two at #6 or if they trade back a few spots?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

48 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Should we be giving more credence to either one of these two at #6 or if they trade back a few spots?....

I guess O-line is a position that is considered a reasonable choice for high picks nowadays. But when the #1 OT at the combine is projected to have to move to guard, that doesn't make for much ethusiasm.

I think I'm in the camp of trading up to insure you get Anderson(as long as it isn't too crazy like 18 or a future 1st) then go Johnston at 18 if he's there if not either the top CB or maybe top ILB like Jack Campbell but that may be a little too much of a reach..

I assume we'd have to give up atleast 1 of the 2nds to get Anderson so whatever one we don't trade Id be looking at a possible long term guard solution if there is a quality guy available. 

6th - get Anderson

18th - Johnston, CB or Campbell

2nd rd. Oline 

After that I really don't care what direction we go.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Actually I want to change that a bit, I would actually consider trading a future 1st if thats what it took to get Anderson.

Reason being first and foremost I think he is a notch above his peers and perhaps a couple notches above where they are RIGHT NOW and he's definitely the guy in the class that could make a Hutch or better like impact in 23 which is what I'm looking for.

A guy like Wilson on the other hand I think will be more like a Walker or KT was this year, that's not to say in the end he won't be equal or better but I think he wont make near the impact in the beginning. 

Also I'm banking on us being good so that pick should be in the 20s atleast which makes it easier to part with. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think Anderson is the exception, ...

I don't believe that he is. 

No thanks.

I'd be extremely pleased with getting one of Anthony Richardson (I'll take the lotto ticket here... if Holmes decides he's the right guy), Bijan Robinson, Tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy, or Christian Gonzalez at #6. I would be extremely displeased if we trade up for Anderson, and it's not even close.

To each their own but to me I could see Anderson making a Micah Parsons like impact right out of the gate. Well maybe not to that extent but you get the picture. He's been viewed as a premium All Pro like prospect since he stepped foot on college so no reason to suddenly back pedal on that. 

Dude has 35 sacks, 60 TFLs in 41 games while playing in the toughest conference and division in college football. 

I think Anderson is the exception, this time last year he was seen as a generational defensive prospect but then he has a slightly down year and people just forget about it. 

depending on the draft value chart you use, #6, #55, and #81 could do it.

I think Anderson is the exception, this time last year he was seen as a generational defensive prospect but then he has a slightly down year and people just forget about it. 

I agree, and I love the idea of moving up for him (or Stroud) at #3, but I don't think I would give up a 1st (either #18 or a future) to do it. As buddha said, I would look to give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd either this year or next year. I would consider doing two 2nds (preferably one this year and one next year). But I don't think the Cardinals are going to get an offer that comes with a 1st and lets them stay in the top ten this year.

As it is, the Cardinals could drop to #6 and probably have three of Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson, Quentin Johnston, or Peter Skoronski waiting for them. Might not be true if they go any further. They have holes everywhere. We are in a spot to look for elite talent, with draft capital to spare.

Id definitely prefer Buddha's deal and would do that in a heartbeat but if they insisted on it being 6 and a 1st next year I don't think I would pass it up but that's just cause I feel Anderson is in his own tier and I want to collect top tier players even if it means losing a hopefully/likely late 1st in the future. 

Now if Holmes is of the view that there is no or very little diff between him and say Wilson then yeah makes no sense to trade up. 

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree, and I love the idea of moving up for him (or Stroud) at #3, but I don't think I would give up a 1st (either #18 or a future) to do it. As buddha said, I would look to give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd either this year or next year. I would consider doing two 2nds (preferably one this year and one next year). But I don't think the Cardinals are going to get an offer that comes with a 1st and lets them stay in the top ten this year.

As it is, the Cardinals could drop to #6 and probably have three of Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson, Quentin Johnston, or Peter Skoronski waiting for them. Might not be true if they go any further. They have holes everywhere. We are in a spot to look for elite talent, with draft capital to spare.

i would think the best you could do is #6, #55 and a second next year.  seems like a lot to give up.  but if he's micah parsons it might be worth it.

Holmes stayed put in 21 and 22 and the guys he wanted were still available and 7 and 2. Maybe that is just luck. But it is not impossible to believe that Anderson will be there at 6. If not, would be nice to trade down because the talent pool seems to be deep and wide but without elite players outside of Anderson and Bijan (and possibly Richardson).

Of course, Holmes is obviously not afraid to move up when he wants a guy.

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

Holmes stayed put in 21 and 22 and the guys he wanted were still available and 7 and 2. Maybe that is just luck. But it is not impossible to believe that Anderson will be there at 6. If not, would be nice to trade down because the talent pool seems to be deep and wide but without elite players outside of Anderson and Bijan (and possibly Richardson).

Of course, Holmes is obviously not afraid to move up when he wants a guy.

I think the difference between then and now is that you can justify saying "one elite presence on this team (particularly on this defense) can take this team to the next level"... That wasn't the case last year (and it was only one spot), and it definitely wasn't the case two years ago.

• Like 1