2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Clowney is the cautionary tale of putting too much stock in physical tools and not actual production cause his production was never elite. 

One of the reasons I like to read Charlie Campbell is that he seems to be talking to guys who get paid to make the picks. Scouting services have no skin in the game and can more easily be pulled into hype. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i dont want to break the bank for a backup qb.  it would be nice to have a solid backup you could trust.  as san francisco showed last year, if you have a good OC and good team structure, you can put a decent game manager at qb and be fine.

that said, i'd feel a lot better about it if teddy bridgewater were the backup than nate sudfeld or some rookie.  just because goff has been durable for his career doesnt mean he wont get injured.  its football.  i dont want one bad hit to ruin the lions best chance to win the division in a decade. 

heck, the way the rams are going, stafford might end up a viable backup for detroit this year...

Agree 100%

And to RM's point on not relying on a rookie as the backup, especially Hooker with his ACL... I agree... But I also wouldn't exclude drafting one of them based on that reason. I'd be OK with drafting one of them if Holmes grabs one; but ALSO would still want a better backup than the Blough and Boyle show we were treated to last year.

I have no idea if Sudfeld can actually play a decent QB since he's thrown close to zero passes in his career. Or at least not very many. But he's going to sign soon also... with us or someone else? If it's another team we are left with "nothing" again as backup QB? I doubt Bridgewater would sign here to be a backup. But great if he does.

But seriously Holmes... wtf? You can't do the same thing as last year on a QB. And you even SAID so...

Mason Rudolph is still available. I feel the Lions were connected to him a year or two ago. You have bigger names like Wentz and Ryan although I don't think Wentz is a fit culturally. Brian Hoyer has also been a good career backup but I'm not sure if he is healthy. Flacco is available but he is 38. Tom Brady is still listed as a free agent. There's some good options. 

I heard on the radio that some QBs like to wait till after the draft to sign which makes sense, especially with the Lions sitting at 6. I mean what if they indeed did draft a QB then that may push the veteran down to the 3rd spot or at best give him a short leash if he did get in the game. 

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I do think we need to be thoughtful about getting a good backup.  A serious injury to Goff would submarine what should be a very promising season.

There is almost no backup in the league who could come in and carry this team onward to a deep playoff run. What San Francisco did with Brocky Purdy was an anomaly. Most backups can and should be counted on only for a game or two. If Goff goes down our season goes with it likely. How many teams survive a season ending injury to their starting QB and end up winning a playoff game, let alone in them?

I do agree though that we need to get a better backup and having an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater on the roster would be nice. I don't know who we could conceivably get at this point though.

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

There is almost no backup in the league who could come in and carry this team onward to a deep playoff run. What San Francisco did with Brocky Purdy was an anomaly. Most backups can and should be counted on only for a game or two. If Goff goes down our season goes with it likely. How many teams survive a season ending injury to their starting QB and end up winning a playoff game, let alone in them?

I do agree though that we need to get a better backup and having an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater on the roster would be nice. I don't know who we could conceivably get at this point though.

you could get.....teddy bridgewater.

There were rumors during training camp last year the Lions were interested in trading for Mason Rudolph. He's a free agent now. He would be a perfectly fine backup. Rudolph is another example of a team wasting a draft pick. Pittsburgh wasted a 3rd round pick on Rudolph. In the same draft just six pick later the Lions selected Tracy Walker. Even Bob Quinn knew better. He at least wasted 6th round picks on QBs. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

Green Bay had a few years in the Mike Holmgren era and just before when they would take late round QBs, try to coach them up, and trade for higher draft picks. But that started in the era of the 12 round draft. They picked up Don Majkowski with a 10th round pick in 1987, another 10th rounder in 1988, a 3rd AND a 4th on forgettable names in 1989, a nobody in the 10th in 1990, then got Ty Detmer in the 9th round in 1992, Mark Brunell in the 5th in 1993, Matt Hasselbeck in the 6th in 1998 (with a couple of nobodies late in 1995, 1996, 1997), then that strategy seems to have ended around when they picked Aaron Brooks in the 4th round in 1999. 

For their most successful years running this strategy -- 1992 through 1998, when they bought low and sold high on Brunell and Hasselbeck, -- they had Sherman Lewis as OC and Andy Reid on the offensive staff. 

If Holmes believes that Ben Johnson is capable of coaching up a QB drafted in the late rounds then arbitraging him for a higher draft pick three years later, I'm OK with that, but even in GB that strategy doesn't appear to have been all that successful. Otherwise, I prefer them not to spend draft capital because "we need a backup QB." Instead, make sure you have solid backups on the OL so your running game and pass protection don't suffer if one of them gets dinged.

• Like 1

The more success the Lions have in free agency, the more I’m in favor of trading up for a top player on their board. Two weeks ago, five picks in three rounds really needed to fill at least four holes. Now though, it seems more of a luxury.

If you like Stroud/Young, I bet one will be there at #3. If you like Anderson, he’ll definitely be there.

45 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The more success the Lions have in free agency, the more I’m in favor of trading up for a top player on their board. Two weeks ago, five picks in three rounds really needed to fill at least four holes. Now though, it seems more of a luxury.

If you like Stroud/Young, I bet one will be there at #3. If you like Anderson, he’ll definitely be there.

I'm kinda sorta maybe leaning this way too.  Obviously we don't know how the Lions are viewing the options here but it might be a possibility.

Unless intel comes out prior to the draft that there is a good possibility of him dropping to us my option A is trading up for Anderson and pairing him with Hutch to wreak havoc on qbs for the foreseeable future. Also I think Anderson is versatile enough to help in other areas other than just being a pure pass rusher.

Admittedly though Im just not as big of believer in guys like Wilson or Gonzalez as others are so Id be slightly disappointed if we "only" ended up with one of them at 6.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Anderson and pairing him with Hutch to wreak havoc on qbs for the foreseeable future.

People keep saying this, but they both profile for the open end position in Detroit's base defense, the only time you would pair them is on 3rd and long.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Clowney is the cautionary tale of putting too much stock in physical tools and not actual production cause his production was never elite. 

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about. 

47TFL 24 Sacks in three years. That blows out the totals Adian had in four years. 

Edited by KL2

Just now, KL2 said:

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about. 

47TFL 24 Sacks in three years. 

I was talking relatively speaking, considering he was the highest graded de in 25 years you figured he'd have a higher production. Hell He only had 3 sacks his final year.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was talking relatively speaking, considering he was the highest graded de in 25 years you figured he'd have a higher production. Hell He only had 3 sacks his final year.

Yeah cause he wasn't being tripple teamed or anything like that. 

I'm sorry his production in 3 years blew out Adian's production in four. Get out of here with his stats were never elite. 

Edited by KL2

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

People keep saying this, but they both profile for the open end position in Detroit's base defense, the only time you would pair them is on 3rd and long.

I think you adjust the defense as needed for the talent you have. If Anderson is the pick, I would expect to see a lot of 5-1-5, blitz first / ask questions later nickel defensive looks. It highlights the strength of the defense (edge rushers) and hides the relative weakness (linebackers). On 3rd and longs, there can be occasions where they don't even put a coverage linebacker on the field, rush six, and surrender that short pass to the corner and safeties.

DL: Paschal / McNeill / Cominsky (Buggs, R.Okwara)

EDGE: Hutch / Anderson (Houston, C.Harris, J.Okwara)

LB: Anzalone (Rodrigo, Rookie)

DB: Sutton / Okudah / Gardner-Johnson / Walker / Joseph (Moseley, W.Harris, Rookie)