Just a reminder that cancer sucks...

Cruzer1

My wife Mary (27th anniversary was a couple of weeks ago) has breast cancer. She found out she had it on the same day she found out that I likely gave her Covid, in late April. She was detected early, thank god, but it took 2 surgeries for them to get rid of the cancer, and now she is going through chemo. She's now more than halfway done with the chemo, so she's rounding 2nd base in a way. We are holding up well. It's been a big help having my son home during this trying time.

We appreciate any thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

• Like 13

You're not wrong! My mom was diagnosed in May 2020, so right in the middle of all the COVID nonsense. She had her surgery in Feb and now will have her last treatment at the end of October. In some ways, the pandemic helped. Since so much was shut down during that period, she didn't actually miss out on much. On the other hand, not being able to really see her and spend time with her really sucked. It's been a long, bumpy, uncertain road but better days are ahead. My thoughts are with you Cruzer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

My wife Mary (27th anniversary was a couple of weeks ago) has breast cancer. She found out she had it on the same day she found out that I likely gave her Covid, in late April. She was detected early, thank god, but it took 2 surgeries for them to get rid of the cancer, and now she is going through chemo. She's now more than halfway done with the chemo, so she's rounding 2nd base in a way. We are holding up well. It's been a big help having my son home during this trying time.

We appreciate any thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

Will do man. You’re the first person who was ever nice to me at MTS. That’s something I don’t forget, and there are other reasons to like you as well. Glad to have you aboard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Good to know things are going well. My wife caught her diagnosis very early. Lumpectomy found everything. Two years later still clean.

The follow up drugs tend to knock her flat however.

This.  Just finished five years on Letrozole.  Oncologist wanted me to go two more years, but made an executive decision to stop taking it a few weeks ago.  So far, very happy with the decision.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

a friend of mine went through this over the summer.  Family history of it.  They saw something they didn't like, did a biopsy, came back ok but they said she was at increased risk due to the results... so she had a double mastectomy.  Afterwards they did find cancer in what they removed.  She was going back and forth about whether she was making the right decision and that confirmed it.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 8:24 AM, oblong said:

a friend of mine went through this over the summer.  Family history of it.  They saw something they didn't like, did a biopsy, came back ok but they said she was at increased risk due to the results... so she had a double mastectomy.  Afterwards they did find cancer in what they removed.  She was going back and forth about whether she was making the right decision and that confirmed it.

That is such a tough choice, but the right one to make. My wife had no family history that she knows of, and luckily she only needed 2 lumpectomies. It was microscopic, so they couldn't find it the first time. She only has two more treatments left, then she'll be done with chemo.

• Like 3