Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

49 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Agree. Not overrated but probably overhyped.

Being overhyped is a byproduct of them having finished the season as hot as any other team in the league and having had perhaps the best offseason of any other team in the league. 

NFL media being what it is, someone is overhyped every offseason. Might as well be Detroit. 

most "power rankings" seem to have them in the middle, and many have them below the vikings.

walterfootball has been hyping them for two years now.

im always wary about lions hype.  its the lions, something inevitably goes wrong.  we'll see it when goff goes down in week one.  😞

Walter Football is a little bit of a cartoon. Still he was almost right in hyping Detroit last year. If not for a few painful late losses early in the season he might have been seen as clairvoyant. 

I don’t expect Detroit to make the Super Bowl, but if Goff only throws 7 picks next year, anything could happen. 

If we evaluating how meritorious WF’s predictions are (which is a dumb exercise, but what else are we supposed to do until Training Camp?)

2022 Prediction: Eagles v. Bills, Chiefs out in Wildcard Round (Actual: Eagles v. Chiefs)

2021 Prediction: Chiefs v. Buccaneers, Rams out in NFCCG, Bengals finishing 7-10 (Actual: Bengals v. Rams)

2020 Prediction: Chiefs v. Buccaneers (Actual: Chiefs v. Buccaneers)

2019 Prediction: Eagles v. Chiefs, 49ers out in Divisional Round (Actual: 49ers v. Chiefs)

I’m not going further so it’s possible it gets worse. But predicting four of the last eight appearances is pretty decent. And only one outlier, being the Bengals, and no one saw Burrow coming the way he did.

While I certainly don't think the Lions are the best team in the NFC I don't think it's egregious to pick them to go to the Super Bowl particularly if you factor in the division they play in.

Like you may feel that in a vacuum the Eagles are the better team than the Lions but given the Eagles play in a tougher division you may feel more confidently that the Lions will win their division and in turn have a better chance at the 1 seed, 1st rd bye and HFA. 

In that case the Lions would only have to win 2 home games to get to the SB vs. say the Eagles, Cowboys or Niners having to win 3 including atleast 1 road game. That difference could be enough for you to feel more confident in them than those 3 even if you feel that as a whole they are better teams. 

On 7/14/2023 at 12:45 PM, RandyMarsh said:

In that case the Lions would only have to win 2 home games to get to the SB vs. say the Eagles, Cowboys or Niners having to win 3 including atleast 1 road game.

Even that is a tough ask. But who knows with injuries and deadline trades.

I do believe the Vikings being left for dead, is a mistake. I could see the Vikings winning the division. Obviously, I hope the Lions win. But I think it is 50/50. No one has a clue how the Bears will be given all the offseason additions. I presume they will be a near .500 team 8-9 or 9-8.

5 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Even that is a tough ask. But who knows with injuries and deadline trades.

I do believe the Vikings being left for dead, is a mistake. I could see the Vikings winning the division. Obviously, I hope the Lions win. But I think it is 50/50. No one has a clue how the Bears will be given all the offseason additions. I presume they will be a near .500 team 8-9 or 9-8.

I agree about the Vikings but I think we're in the minority, it seems that many of the national folks are kinda leaving or at the very least thinking they will take a major step back. I can understand that viewpoint cause they did have a flukey record in 1 score games, had a terrible defense and lost some good players but the fact is they won 13 games last year so even if that luck doesn't repeat itself they may very well still win alot games. With that said I do think it's fair to say that they aren't as good as the competition the Eagles have in the East or the 9ers have with the Seahawks. 

I read that the Jets are trying to trade WR Denzel Mims but if they can't find any suitors they will just waive him. I haven't really kept up with him much in the NFL but he was somebody I had my eye on in the 2020 draft where the Jets took him in the 2nd round. He's a big WR at 6'3 225lb who can play on the outside which is something that we could use.  I know he hasn't produced in the NFL but he also hasn't had the best QBs or coordinators to work with, perhaps a change of scenery would help him. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I read that the Jets are trying to trade WR Denzel Mims but if they can't find any suitors they will just waive him. I haven't really kept up with him much in the NFL but he was somebody I had my eye on in the 2020 draft where the Jets took him in the 2nd round. He's a big WR at 6'3 225lb who can play on the outside which is something that we could use.  I know he hasn't produced in the NFL but he also hasn't had the best QBs or coordinators to work with, perhaps a change of scenery would help him. 

according to zierline, coming out of college mims was a speed burner who had issues getting off press coverage and questionable "compete."

maybe the compete level just isnt there to make it in the nfl?

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

reportedly the lions and jets are having trade talks on mims...

6 hours ago, buddha said:

according to zierline, coming out of college mims was a speed burner who had issues getting off press coverage and questionable "compete."

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

reportedly the lions and jets are having trade talks on mims...

Well, if any coach could get some compete out of him, hopefully that would be a player's coach like DC...

or rather, just, DC.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

One could argue the entire Jets organization has questionable compete after their decision to start Zach Wilson the last 2 years. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

and there it is.  lions trade a 6th round pick to the jets for mims and a 7th round pick.

hopefully this isnt another trinity benson situation.

I remember when Mims burned MSU for a long td when he was a freshman.

Benson was a flash in the pan during preseason that just never translated to play against the first string. This is definitely different from that (not that that means this will work).

We were lacking depth at the position after half the group decided to gamble their careers away. I think it makes sense.

Or Antoine Green had the worst first day of training camp for any rookie ever.

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

and there it is.  lions trade a 6th round pick to the jets for mims and a 7th round pick.

hopefully this isnt another trinity benson situation.

Seems like Brad leaned from Benson and moved back rather than trading the late round pick.   

Hopefully Mims is something but the league is littered with fast guys that couldn’t run routes and get open.  

From Profootballrumors.com

JULY 20: NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero tweets that the pick swap is conditional on Mims making the Lions’ 53-man roster. As a result, the deal is essentially a short-term free trial for the Lions as they look to finalize their WR depth chart in the coming weeks. A strong performance in camp and the preseason will go a long way in determining the former second-rounder’s fate as he enters the final year of his rookie contract.

19 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

The below article is a year old but man is it brutal.

Wow... Obviously they're highlighting some of the worst plays there, but man... that is brutal. Mims just does NOT look like a Holmes/Campbell type of guy honestly.

Now, the price paid for this flyer is very low... moving from 6th to 7th if Mims makes the roster... so I I don't mind the taking the shot. Maybe a new coaching staff and a chance of scenery motivates him and we get something for virtually nothing or... we cut him and we apparently lose nothing. That's a risk I'm more than willing to take. I'm just really, really not expecting much. That article really seems to paint Mims as the anti-ARSB.

26 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

The below article is a year old but man is it brutal.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/06/01/denzel-mims-ny-jets-wr-film-stats/

The penalty stuff is bad, poor discipline and looks like in a lot of those he either never got the snap count or couldn't remember it. I think the catching on the body critique was a little overplayed, some of those were poor lead throws where he didn't have a lot of choice. Definitely a project for the staff though. To me the most worrisome thing about a change for the worse in having his head in the game would be that it immediately makes you question whether there is a substance issue. You hope they did their homework on that already

Edited by gehringer_2