Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

On 6/30/2023 at 2:09 PM, djhutch said:

Could this theoretically allow someone at the sports books to try get rich quick by providing information on certain players?

Do you mean that the NFL would reward the person providing that information? I doubt that would be the case. I think it's built into the contracts that they need to report this to the NFL.  Again, this is all based on my memory of what I've read, so don't treat it as gospel.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, gehringer_2 said:

I still don't understand the theory behind making betting in a certain *place* against the rules. The NFL appears to be the only sports org with that twist.

Totally agree.

Someone might counter by saying: "Well, I can't drink when I'm at work, but it's perfectly fine when not at work." Sure, okay... but the reason for that is because being under the influence at work is not good and potentially dangerous... it's certainly a liability to the company.

Gambling on non-NFL games, if allowed, certainly isn't a liability thing. It's more of a: "We don't want you doing is during work time thing because you should be working." Kinda like some places have strict no-cellphone usage when on the clock. But no company would ban you from using your cellphone while at the place of business even if you're not on the clock. If you're on break they aren't going to say you can't use your cellphone. If it's after your shift but you haven't left the building yet (or parking lot) they aren't going to say no cellphone. And CERTAINLY if you're on a business trip and chilling at the hotel after the meetings/training/whatever is over they're not going to say no cellphone.

37 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Jay-Mo may be really really stupid.  

If you're referring to the fireworks, I think fireworks themselves are really really stupid, and are something a lot of 20-somethings do. I don't think it's any cause for specific concern regarding Jamo.

I think if we had already seen what he's capable of on an NFL field, no one would bat an eye about any of this stuff, and would just want to see him back on the field. But because he was out most of last year, there is a sense of impatience that leads to us looking for signs that he is more (a star) or less (a bust) than an unknown. 

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If you're referring to the fireworks, I think fireworks themselves are really really stupid, and are something a lot of 20-somethings do. I don't think it's any cause for specific concern regarding Jamo.

I think if we had already seen what he's capable of on an NFL field, no one would bat an eye about any of this stuff, and would just want to see him back on the field. But because he was out most of last year, there is a sense of impatience that leads to us looking for signs that he is more (a star) or less (a bust) than an unknown. 

It'd be our luck that he would have a Jason Pierre-Paul type of injury. Unlike JPP though, who is a DLineman and can get by with the hand injury he sustained, a WR cannot. Luckily Williams is ok and intact for his own sake.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

he set off some fireworks like many americans do.  i dont think that means he's stupid, it just means he likes fireworks.  he's young and rich, he's gonna do a lot of the things young men do.

that said, his agent should probably have a conversation with him about risk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buddha said:

he set off some fireworks like many americans do.  i dont think that means he's stupid, it just means he likes fireworks.  he's young and rich, he's gonna do a lot of the things young men do.

Or even just about social media. This is not a story if he doesn’t post about it.

16 hours ago, buddha said:

Agree here. Its not like he went skydiving or cliff diving or even riding a motorcycle. I have lit those boxes up for about 7 years in a row as a PART of a large overall display. Me and 7 others.  Not a single problem, we all still have all fingers.  If risk is an issue, without taking any time to cite studies (not doing it) if seems there's lots of everyday activities he needs to avoid also.  Social Media outrage...nothing more. 

Edited by KnoxP
  • Like 1

Meh on the fireworks story, who cares, much ado about nothing.

Meanwhile, Lions have been featured on the NFL network most of the day, so far all W's. Currently trailing the Raiders by six with 3min left; current game under HC Schwarz.  Another game after this one.

Two players in the supplemental draft, both WRs: https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/07/05/nfl-grants-eligibility-supplemental-draft-milon-wright-malachi-wideman?fbclid=IwAR0wxfhVctav4zNW1KpWzWyKSGuClJxvFGSW5WeKS9aQRA_LqCewS9JvVmE

If you're not familiar with the supplemental draft, the short version is teams submit bids on what round they want a player. For example, if the Lions wanted player A from the draft, they might submit a 4th round pick for him. If everyone else bid a 5th or later pick, the Lions would get him. The Lions would then forfeit a 4th round pick in next years draft. Obviously if Ravens submitted a 3rd round pick they'd get him instead and forfeit a 3rd round pick next year.

The order they go in if multiple were to submit a 4th round pick (in my example) is a bit convoluted. Teams are separated into 3 groups: Playoffs Teams, non-playoff teams with >6 wins, non-playoff teams with <=6 wins. Each group then goes through a weighted lottery and that determines draft order.'

Given that both players are WRs, I don't see the Lions doing anything crazy here... maybe a 6th or 7th? But who knows, given Jamo being out for the start of the season if they like one of the guys maybe they give a higher pick?

6 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Two players in the supplemental draft, both WRs: https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/07/05/nfl-grants-eligibility-supplemental-draft-milon-wright-malachi-wideman?fbclid=IwAR0wxfhVctav4zNW1KpWzWyKSGuClJxvFGSW5WeKS9aQRA_LqCewS9JvVmE

If you're not familiar with the supplemental draft, the short version is teams submit bids on what round they want a player. For example, if the Lions wanted player A from the draft, they might submit a 4th round pick for him. If everyone else bid a 5th or later pick, the Lions would get him. The Lions would then forfeit a 4th round pick in next years draft. Obviously if Ravens submitted a 3rd round pick they'd get him instead and forfeit a 3rd round pick next year.

The order they go in if multiple were to submit a 4th round pick (in my example) is a bit convoluted. Teams are separated into 3 groups: Playoffs Teams, non-playoff teams with >6 wins, non-playoff teams with <=6 wins. Each group then goes through a weighted lottery and that determines draft order.'

Given that both players are WRs, I don't see the Lions doing anything crazy here... maybe a 6th or 7th? But who knows, given Jamo being out for the start of the season if they like one of the guys maybe they give a higher pick?

Almost no supplemental pick nowadays is worth anything. No reason to give up any pick for either of these guys. There are a million of em available as udfa or on the cut wire.

31 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Almost no supplemental pick nowadays is worth anything. No reason to give up any pick for either of these guys. There are a million of em available as udfa or on the cut wire.

Wright seems mildly interesting to me based on what very little I know. I might consider a 7th rounder on him. But that would be heavily contingent on more research and an interview with him. He apparently was ruled academically ineligible for the next year so he's not the smartest guy when it comes to academics, but that doesn't mean he can't be "football smart." IF Holmes thinks he could be a contributor at the NFL level AND be ready to play a part Week 1, then it might be something to consider with Jamo out.

But, those are two big conditions that would have to be met.

For those who put stock into what the site thinks, WalterFootball released his postseason predictions today. 

Has the Lions going 12-5 (losses to the Chiefs, Packers, Bears, and Vikings x2). Winning the North and being the #3 seed. Beating the Vikings 34-24 in the Wildcard Round, beating the 49ers 38-34 in the Divisional Round, beating the Eagles 41-38 in the NFC Championship, and losing to the Bengals 31-24 in the Super Bowl.

I guess I'd be okay with that.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

For those who put stock into what the site thinks, WalterFootball released his postseason predictions today. 

Has the Lions going 12-5 (losses to the Chiefs, Packers, Bears, and Vikings x2). Winning the North and being the #3 seed. Beating the Vikings 34-24 in the Wildcard Round, beating the 49ers 38-34 in the Divisional Round, beating the Eagles 41-38 in the NFC Championship, and losing to the Bengals 31-24 in the Super Bowl.

I guess I'd be okay with that.

no way their losses split 4 -1 div/non-div. Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, buddha said:

the lions have become one of the most overrated teams in the league.  

I don’t think so. They are very hyped but I don’t think it’s without reason. There are a lot of reasons to be excited.

The offense was one of the best in the league last year. They return their OC, QB, and 4/5th of the O-Line, and on paper they improved at RB and TE. OG too if Vaitai plays to his past self. They will also eventually get another first round WR on the team in Jamo.

The defense steadily improved last year and certainly improved with an overhaul of the secondary this offseason. The interior defensive line isn’t good, I’m still not sure who will start next to Alim McNeill and I’m sure there will be games where the line gets bullied by opposing offensive lines and running backs. But they should generate a consistent pass rush from the outside, and their linebackers look pretty decent if Jack Campbell can start from week one.

Their depth is lacking, and injuries could derail them, but that’s the case for any NFL team. It’s also definitely possible that paper improvement doesn’t translate to wins. Comparing football to baseball, we see it this year with the Mets and Padres. Great on paper, mediocre on the field. It’s always a possibility that upgrades and a new 53-man don’t mesh how is planned and new players don’t play how they used to or are expected.

When you look at the NFC though, I’ll take those concerns over any team but the Eagles. I’d rather be the Lions than the 49ers, they don’t have a QB. I’d rather be the Lions than the Cowboys, they don’t have a real coach. I’d certainly rather be the Lions than the Vikings, Packers, or Bears.

They were 9-8 last year and look better comparing apples to apples. The hype is real and reasonable, I just hope they can live up to it.

Agree. Not overrated but probably overhyped.

Being overhyped is a byproduct of them having finished the season as hot as any other team in the league and having had perhaps the best offseason of any other team in the league. 

NFL media being what it is, someone is overhyped every offseason. Might as well be Detroit.