Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

or perhaps a few of the players didnt pay attention?  how close do you pay attention when new work rules are announced?  and how soon do you forget them?

a lot of employees dont really pay attention.

i dont know what the nfl did or didnt say, but the fact that a few kids out of college didnt know the rule (or claims they were never told) doesnt surprise me.

stepping back from the case details though, it *is* a stupid set of rules. What possible difference does it make to anything *where* you are when you place a bet? The wager either is, or is not an issue. Nothing could be more immaterial to any possible consequence of the wager than where it was placed. 

Maybe the basic illogic of the rules had something to do with why guys may have found them hard to make sense of or  take seriously.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

stepping back from the case details though, it *is* a stupid set of rules. What possible difference does it make to anything *where* you are when you place a bet? The wager either is, or is not an issue. Nothing could be more immaterial to any possible consequence of the wager than where it was placed. 

Maybe the basic illogic of the rules had something to do with why guys may have found them hard to make sense of or  take seriously.

i think youre giving young football players a little too much credit in their contemplation of the basis for rules.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i think youre giving young football players a little too much credit in their contemplation of the basis for rules.

IDK, I'd wager that a lot of these young athletes know a lot more about gambling than the average crossection of the population, and I'd probably do it without giving a thought to where I was.....

:classic_tongue:

13 hours ago, buddha said:

i hope so.  but none of those guys other than goff have done anything yet.  and stafford won a super bowl.

lots of potential for sure.

Quoted for Truth.

There's LOTS of potential there, no doubt. But so far it's only potential. Because this trade was so involved with draft picks it needs to be grades the same way drafts are graded: After 3 years or so.

That said, given how well Goff has played (at least last year) I would say just one of those players becoming a star player makes it worth it to us, and there's definitely potential for more than one of those to reach star status.

I will say the "Stafford won a SB" part isn't really apples to apples... what I mean is if the Lions don't win a SB in the next 3-5 years that doesn't mean the Lions lost the trade. Football is too much of a team sport and depends on too many factors to say that one key player (or even three key players) are the sole reason you win or don't win a SB.

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yet again it looks like they've unjustly excluded @buddha from entering into the competition. Surprised the footage of security dragging him out didn't make the cut for this video. 😉 

The Lions are well aware of Buddha's blatant hatred of Goff. Goff veto'd him from having a shot.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

Yet again it looks like they've unjustly excluded @buddha from entering into the competition. Surprised the footage of security dragging him out didn't make the cut for this video. 😉 

I have a friend who use to be a chearleader for the Lions. I didn't see her in this video.

How does the NFL discover the identity of the players who made bets? 

Does the NFL supply private identifying information about all NFL players to the sports books and require monthly reports on betting activity as a condition of partnerships with the NFL? 

Are the players reported by earnest whistleblowers at the sports books who are concerned about the integrity of the NFL?

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

How does the NFL discover the identity of the players who made bets? 

Does the NFL supply private identifying information about all NFL players to the sports books and require monthly reports on betting activity as a condition of partnerships with the NFL? 

Are the players reported by earnest whistleblowers at the sports books who are concerned about the integrity of the NFL?

My understanding is that the sports books are providing the info to the NFL. I believe that this is an agreement between the NFL and the sports book to do this.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RedRamage said:

My understanding is that the sports books are providing the info to the NFL. I believe that this is an agreement between the NFL and the sports book to do this.

Could this theoretically allow someone at the sports books to try get rich quick by providing information on certain players?

6 hours ago, djhutch said:

Could this theoretically allow someone at the sports books to try get rich quick by providing information on certain players?

This has been my issue all along. Unless there are massive checks in place, someone is using this info to play (or change) the odds.