Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

6 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

IMG_5659.thumb.jpeg.018bd415a4bfc70643d4ad2c6b506fee.jpeg

Meh. They could have done better.

I love it. Now rework the the rest of the uni with a darker blue, block numbers and a simple font for the names. I hope they use this logo as the primary going forward, because it's awesome.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I expect the NFL, as I do any corporate business, to properly explain and train its team members on its policies and procedures.

youre very anti corporate/anti authority.  as opposed to me, who loves authority!  and i'm more apt to blame the individual for not taking personal responsibility.  you always side with the players.

in reality, i dont think either of us know what was told to the players.  

I think it's fair to blame Coaching/Management for not clearly communicating the rules to the players. Yes they shouldn't have to babysit these players and it should be the players responsibilities to know what is legal and what's not but lets face it that is pretty unrealistic in this day and age. The players aren't going to read through everything like they should so you would think management knowing the severity of the crime and punishment that will be handed out would be as clear as possible with the players so there isn't any mistakes. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it's fair to blame Coaching/Management

That might well be a missing piece. A lot of the discussion has been about the league not communicating the policies, but If the league put out the policies to the teams and told the teams to communicate them, then it's easy to see why the league might have no guilt over enforcing the sanctions on a team that didn't do the job.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That might well be a missing piece. A lot of the discussion has been about the league not communicating the policies, but If the league put out the policies to the teams and told the teams to communicate them, then it's easy to see why the league might have no guilt over enforcing the sanctions on a team that didn't do the job.

But it seems it may be the case that across the league this was not communicated to players on most teams, not just the Lions.

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it's fair to blame Coaching/Management for not clearly communicating the rules to the players. Yes they shouldn't have to babysit these players and it should be the players responsibilities to know what is legal and what's not but lets face it that is pretty unrealistic in this day and age. The players aren't going to read through everything like they should so you would think management knowing the severity of the crime and punishment that will be handed out would be as clear as possible with the players so there isn't any mistakes. 

how do you know it wasnt clearly communicated to the players?

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

how do you know that?

Pride of Detroit: Player survey suggests NFL has done a horrible job teaching gambling policy

It's an incredibly small and maybe ultimately useless sample size in the Athletic's player survey. But my guess is that if they had expanded it out and surveyed 100, 200, or more players the results would be similar. They would show that NFL players were largely unaware of the NFL's gambling policies and where a bet can and cannot be placed.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Pride of Detroit: Player survey suggests NFL has done a horrible job teaching gambling policy

It's an incredibly small and maybe ultimately useless sample size in the Athletic's player survey. But my guess is that if they had expanded it out and surveyed 100, 200, or more players the results would be similar. They would show that NFL players were largely unaware of the NFL's gambling policies and where a bet can and cannot be placed.

do you think the players might have their own motivations in saying something wasnt explained well enough to them?  as if "well enough" can be defined.

you are responsible for yourself.  pay attention.

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

SI: Everyone is Saying Jameson Williams Suspension Should be Decreased

The more we learn about what your players didn't know about the NFL's gambling policy the more it's clear the Jamo suspension should be overturned or reduced.

It won't be though. Even though it is inconsistent, the NFL wants to make an example out of someone. They will not reduce it because it will make them look soft on gambling.

5 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Funny enough, when I saw that, I got a little excited and thought that I might be back on board!

Now is the time to do it!  There's a lot of hype and excitement all building up (which means the Lions will fall flat on their faces and piss us all off again).

• Haha 2

I like that helmet!!

How do you institute a set of rules that could potentially alter a person's career trajectory and not do everything in your power to explain those rules?  And how would the players know to read those rules if they don't know they exist in the first place?

20 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I like that helmet!!

How do you institute a set of rules that could potentially alter a person's career trajectory and not do everything in your power to explain those rules?  And how would the players know to read those rules if they don't know they exist in the first place?

what did the nfl tell them?

apparently...not enough. 

I've never worked for a corporation that didn't require proof of understanding re policies that can result in suspension or termination.  They usually require a signature on a document attesting to a complete understanding of the process and the disciplinary process should an employee violate them

Edited by Shinzaki

12 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

apparently...not enough. 

I've never worked for a corporation that didn't proof of understanding re policies that can result in suspension or termination.  They usually require a signature on a document attesting to a complete understanding of the process and the disciplinary process should an employee violate them

MOC baby! You live by it in the process industries, avaition, anywhere hazardous.

(management of change)

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

apparently...not enough. 

I've never worked for a corporation that didn't require proof of understanding re policies that can result in suspension or termination.  They usually require a signature on a document attesting to a complete understanding of the process and the disciplinary process should an employee violate them

or perhaps a few of the players didnt pay attention?  how close do you pay attention when new work rules are announced?  and how soon do you forget them?

a lot of employees dont really pay attention.

i dont know what the nfl did or didnt say, but the fact that a few kids out of college didnt know the rule (or claims they were never told) doesnt surprise me.