2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I guess if we sign our SS this month, most of the shopping will be complete, which will make for a boring rest of the offseason.  I'll take it.

I would like them to get a real first baseman instead of moving Schoop there and using Willi Castro/Isaac Paredes at 2B.  I know that they are keeping the spot open for Torkelson, but they shouldn't be relying on him to contribute this year.  I hate giving a prospect a starting job when he has proven nothing at the ML level.  

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The Yankees haven't had a losing record since 1992 and they make the playoffs most years, including the last five years.  I would bet that the correlation between payroll and wins over several years is quite high.  

My feeling is a team is not hurt by signing good players to big contracts.  They get hurt when they sign the wrong players.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I would like them to get a real first baseman instead of moving Schoop there and using Willi Castro/Isaac Paredes at 2B.  I know that they are keeping the spot open for Torkelson, but they shouldn't be relying on him to contribute this year.  I hate giving a prospect a starting job when he has proven nothing at the ML level.  

in what is really still a rebuilding year, I'm fine with giving Paredes some extended playing time.  Need to know what we have with him, because otherwise, he's not going to get any MLB AB's.  I'm still hopeful that he can be at least major league average good. 

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

My feeling is a team is not hurt by signing good players to big contracts.  They get hurt when they sign the wrong players.  

that's fair - I guess the counter argue is that it's somewhat impossible to know if you've signed the wrong player because what does in most players on long deals is injury and those are unpredictable. We probably would have had no complaints even about Cabrera's contract if he had had Nelson Cruz's health and he had been chasing his 600th HR this year instead. So maybe it's just safe to assume a certain percentage of your long term deals will go South no matter who you sign, and that becomes an argument for at least limiting your exposure with them. Or try offering a premium for taking fewer years - but I don't know how many players that would temp.

47 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Tony Paul is doubling down on them getting a second FA pitcher (possibly JV) and the big ticket 9 figure shortstop.   Hopefully, the Tigers don't cause the US to devalue the dollar to pay all these salaries. 

He’s flailing now. 

19 minutes ago, davidsb623 said:

Hot 'n Ready going up a $1 as soon as a SS is signed!!

Ha!. But you know they can make $50M/yr easily just with attendance increases if they put a playoff contenting team on the field. A good Tiger team should draw 1,500,000 more fans in '22 than in '21. If you figure the take per fan is in the $50 dollar range that's actually $75Million.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ha!. But you know they can make $50M/yr easily just with attendance increases if they put a playoff contenting team on the field. A good Tiger team should draw 1,500,000 more fans in '22 than in '21. If you figure the take per fan is in the $50 dollar range that's actually $75Million.

this.  this city is starved for a competent local team to get behind.  Wings are showing glimmers, much like the Tigers did this past season.  Pistons are on the right track, but young and inexperienced.  The Lions are in perpetual rebuild mode.

Fans will flock back to the CoPa if this team becomes a contender, which is not that far-fetched with a few more moves.  Also, knowing that we are only paying Eduardo Rodriguez $14M next season, I don't think Paul's prediction is that far off--I can now see them signing a solid SP and elite SS.