2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

If we sign Ray, would the Tigers use Mize or Skubal to get their next SS from a team that has minor league options, ie, Yanks and Padres?

Mize could be the next Rick Porcello (high GB%, pretty effective, always more upside) or the next Verlander, if he can use his Splitter to bolster his K rate from 7 ish to 9 ish.  The mystery should enhance his tradd value, but for many reasons (including the fact that he wad a 1st overall pick, and they dont want to be seen as selling out on him), I dont think they consider him tradeable at this point.

• Like 1

A lot of Robbie Ray’s future success is going to be tied up in whether he can keep his career low BB rate as low as it was last year. But even if he does, one big red flag is how much luck factored into his Cy Young success this season. His .268 BABIP ranks 9th luckiest out of 39 qualified starters, but even more starkly, his strand rate of 90.1% is the highest full-season rate in big league history. These two data points are a key reason his RA9-WAR, which reflects actual on-field results, is 7.1, while his regular WAR, which is predictive based on fielding-independent results, is only 3.9. That’s a big enough difference that I would be cautious in taking a $200MM chance on him.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

A lot of Robbie Ray’s future success is going to be tied up in whether he can keep his career low BB rate as low as it was last year. But even if he does, one big red flag is how much luck factored into his Cy Young success this season. His .268 BABIP ranks 9th luckiest out of 39 qualified starters, but even more starkly, his strand rate of 90.1% is the highest full-season rate in big league history. These two data points are a key reason his RA9-WAR, which reflects actual on-field results, is 7.1, while his regular WAR, which is predictive based on fielding-independent results, is only 3.9. That’s a big enough difference that I would be cautious in taking a $200MM chance on him.

good take

Beware one year wonders.

(and Rick-Cy-Young-Porcello says 'Hi')

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

seems like this, along with the other 3 signings, could knock the Mets out of pursuing a Baez reunion, but Cohen is such a wild card that it's foolish to predict.

The reporting that Baez will supposedly let the Mets make a final offer has me a bit concerned on his front, although that may be more bluster than fact.

22 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I'd be okay with Baez, but I'd prefer Story if we're not signing Correa.  I think it'll get done before the deadline on Wednesday, because I don't think Avila wants to wait to see what happens.  I wonder if Correa's agent wants him to wait it out?

Correa may be waiting to see what happens with Seager

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Correa may be waiting to see what happens with Seager

If that's all it's about for him, that he has to have more, then I am not sure he's the guy.    I mean, if you got paid 30 a year and Seagar got 32, that's not acceptable?    To me that doesn't scream "team guy".   How much is enough?  Ego guys like that don't really get the fanbase on their side should they struggle.         Or is it that he really doesn't want to come here and only will if he gets more than every other shortstop, then I am not sure I'd want him either.   He's good, but is he that good?    I want him to WANT to be here.   If that's not the case, go for Story or Baez.   

There is another angle to consider here.  If you want to keep this manager around after this season, I think you'd better get a real upgrade because there's probably 3-5 good teams that are close that might come after him after this season.    

It never fails to get a good laugh out of me when I see slappy fans dramatically overrate players within their own teams and systems. As if a mid- to back-of-rotation starter fresh off of his underwhelming rookie season could pry the #1 major-league-ready shortstop prospect from a loaded farm system, straight up.