Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

In memory of Brian Bluhm. 17 years ago on April 16, 2007- we lost a treasured friend and member who was killed at Virginia Tech.

”And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.”
– Maya Angelou

RIP, Brian. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Brian was one of the mainstays in the Tiger Forum, I considered him among the most astute posters of the time. VaTech was basically in my backyard growing up. 
Thoughts with his sister and family and for all of those affected on that horrible day

• Like 1

Another Michigan parent probably going to jail...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=torkesp01&t=b&year=2024

An 8-year-old boy is in critical condition after police say he found a gun and shot himself in the head....

A new Michigan law went into effect in February that requires people to lock up their firearms in the presence of minors. Under the law, adults could face up to 10 years in prison if a minor shoots an unsecured gun and injures someone.

“There are laws now in place if you don’t keep your firearm secured and if things happen with them, you’ll go to prison. And unfortunately, this is a worse-case scenario and that’s why we have laws like this,” Warren Police Lt. Greg Booton

On 4/16/2024 at 5:08 PM, chasfh said:

I still think about his final post he made about Torii Hunter.

One of the last things I remember talking with him about was whether the Tigers should build a statue for Sam Crawford. 

Missed this one a couple of weeks ago. Grandparents this time.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/04/boy-was-shot-killed-with-gun-found-in-grandparents-home-state-police-say.html

NEWAYGO COUNTY, MI – A 5-year-old boy died in a shooting after he and another boy found a gun in their grandparents’ home, Michigan State Police said......

.......Police said a 6-year-old boy and 5-year-old boy found a firearm in their grandparents’ bedroom. ....

.......The 6-year-old had the firearm in his possession when it discharged and killed the 5-year-old, police said.

That's about 8 lives ruined by one bullet and an idiot that had to have a gun in the house.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Missed this one a couple of weeks ago. Grandparents this time.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/04/boy-was-shot-killed-with-gun-found-in-grandparents-home-state-police-say.html

That's about 8 lives ruined by one bullet and an idiot that had to have a gun in the house.

But how else is he going to defend his family when the woke Antifa BLM illegals invade his house?

• 2 weeks later...

Good guys with guns remain no match for bad guys with the initiative:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/04/29/charlotte-shooting-police-officers-nc/

Three members of a U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task force were fatally shot during a standoff Monday while trying to serve a warrant in Charlotte. Five other law enforcement officers were wounded, and the person they were pursuing was killed.

The task force members were attempting to serve a warrant for possession of a firearm by a felon when they were met with gunfire at a Charlotte residence, police said.

We're going after adults who don't secure their guns..........or actually supply them to their kids.  I think this is wonderful. 

Now,  lets start going after people who provide guns to people who are not allowed to legally own them.   Like the MSU killer.  Where did he get the gun?   He wasn't supposed to have it.  Where did he get it?    Did he steal it?  Buy it at a pawn shop?  Buy it on the street?   Don't know, but the person who sold or gave it to him needed to be prosecuted.  Just because that piece of **** is dead doesn't mean the investigation should end.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're going after adults who don't secure their guns..........or actually supply them to their kids.  I think this is wonderful. 

Now,  lets start going after people who provide guns to people who are not allowed to legally own them.   Like the MSU killer.  Where did he get the gun?   He wasn't supposed to have it.  Where did he get it?    Did he steal it?  Buy it at a pawn shop?  Buy it on the street?   Don't know, but the person who sold or gave it to him needed to be prosecuted.  Just because that piece of **** is dead doesn't mean the investigation should end.    

Fairly confident he legally purchased it from a pawn shop after the local prosecutor skirted the law to allow themselves to charge him with a misdemeanor when he was first found illegally carrying a gun.  

While I don't disagree with you either, this gets back to my next concern.  When prosecutors start using this new tool to go after parents and we find it's being used in inner cities more regularly and there is a demand from the democratic party to move away from it because it affects minorities disproportionately.  

23 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Fairly confident he legally purchased it from a pawn shop after the local prosecutor skirted the law to allow themselves to charge him with a misdemeanor when he was first found illegally carrying a gun.  

While I don't disagree with you either, this gets back to my next concern.  When prosecutors start using this new tool to go after parents and we find it's being used in inner cities more regularly and there is a demand from the democratic party to move away from it because it affects minorities disproportionately.  

Not if the kids keep getting shot with loose guns.  I think a lot of people in the minority population are actually clamoring for that. I think a lot of people are sick of idiots giving everyone else a bad rep.    Storing something up high where a kdi can't reach doesn't seem to be too much to ask.     Don't see too many minority mass/spree shooters.    A few here and there but it's mostly white people (who seem to believe that are entitled to have everything they want and when they don't get it - someone needs to suffer for it, usually some kind of targeted group - minorities, gays, women).     I don't think a lot of minorities have that kind of expectation to start with.    Candians have more guns per person than we do and they don't have this problem because I think they tend to be more pragmatic about life (and Canadians aren't nearly as greedy as Americans, but that's starting to change). 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not if the kids keep getting shot with loose guns.  I think a lot of people in the minority population are actually clamoring for that. I think a lot of people are sick of idiots giving everyone else a bad rep.    Storing something up high where a kdi can't reach doesn't seem to be too much to ask.     Don't see too many minority mass/spree shooters.    A few here and there but it's mostly white people (who seem to believe that are entitled to have everything they want and when they don't get it - someone needs to suffer for it, usually some kind of targeted group - minorities, gays, women).     I don't think a lot of minorities have that kind of expectation to start with.    Candians have more guns per person than we do and they don't have this problem because I think they tend to be more pragmatic about life (and Canadians aren't nearly as greedy as Americans, but that's starting to change). 

That is a whole lot of WTF

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Depends on how you define mass shooter.  Based on how the federal government is defining it, there are more mass shootings in Chicago on most weekends then there are "mass shootings" based on how it sounds like you describe it in a year.  

And I do agree that a lot of the minority population are looking for gun control.  Many are looking for more police as well, despite louder voices saying less cops or no cops at all. 

Can't believe i'm blanking on the name of the podcast, but I remember one where they looked at a minority community that was pushing to have traffic laws enforced more as pedestrian deaths were too high.  The police began to do it and deaths and injuries significantly dropped, but more tickets and arrests were made based on the more strict traffic enforcement and the police backed off, resulting in the pedestrian injuries and deaths returning to previous norms.  

I'm just saying I think it's a good tool for prosecutors, but I won't be surprised if there is some pushback someday from the same folks cheering it on today.

• 3 weeks later...

Some good stuff from JVL especially on the Fortson killing

https://www.thebulwark.com/p/the-killing-of-roger-fortson?utm_source=substack&publication_id=87281&post_id=144801506&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&utm_campaign=email-share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=false&r=45wcm&triedRedirect=true

Notable quotes 

What good is the Second Amendment if you can be in your home, peacefully existing, and using a firearm exactly as intended for personal protection—and still be shot dead by police?

Finally: Guns aren’t really about guns. They’re about the culture war.

The NRA held its annual convention on the same weekend that Roger Fortson’s family laid him to rest. You would think that people invested in the gun rights of law abiding citizens would have made a big deal about Fortson’s killing. After all, he was an active duty airman. He had been trained in the use of firearms. He had used his firearm exactly as he had been taught. And the police had killed him.

I did not watch all of the festivities from tip to tail, but I did not hear any mention of Fortson. (If I’m wrong, put a link in the comments and I’ll update this story with it.)

Likewise, you would have thought that the NRA would be angry about Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s pardon of Daniel Perry. We talked about Perry on Friday: He murdered Garrett Foster, another Air Force veteran, because Foster was legally and responsibly exercising his Second Amendment rights. A jury found Perry guilty of murder and held him responsible. Then Abbott stepped in and set him free.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The plain truth is that the police cannot exist in a society prone to violence *and* and an armed population. It just can't work. The police cannot, will not, and can't reasonably be expected to give a presumption of their own safety in this society when facing an armed citizen - the infamous trope "shoot first and ask questions later" is always going to apply. That's the ultimate fly in the ointment. The Swiss may be armed, but the US isn't Switzerland, the cops there don't have reasonable fear of shots coming through the door when they knock that they do here. We can dream that every cop has the training of a ninja, the reflexes of a cat, and the sagacity of Buddha that enable him to assess every situation with perfect equanimity and skill, but a dream is all that will ever be. We just saw mashalls killed on their way to the door trying to serve a warrant the other day.

Argue the fine points of law any way you want, that won't change that we have created a situation where tragedy is always the most likely outcome. And the only way out of it is fewer guns. A lot fewer guns. So many fewer guns that the police can stop seeing mortal threat level in every citizen.

Edited by gehringer_2