Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

38 minutes ago, Archie said:

I agree that running is the best and should always be the first option. Unfortunately its not always a choice.  I've never had my life in danger so I can't say what is like.  I assume all of us would try to do whatever we could and use any possible weapon to fight back.  

But the hypothetical of walking down the street one day and being attacked is a lot different than the Rittenhouse situation where, setting aside the value judgment on motives, he made choices that put himself into that situation.

As you yourself said above, none of them should have been there despite the fact that they may have all been legally within their right to be there.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

We just had a meeting at work where students and staff could express their feelings about the Rittenhouse verdict.  Every Black at the meeting is scared that we now have a license to be vigilantes.  I don't blame them.  It sets a terrible precedent.  

You missed a great opportunity.  You should have taken the time to explain the law and self defense.  No wonder people are scared when they are uninformed.  Everyone acts like Rittenhouse was the first person to ever use lethal force to defend themselves. Its been happening forever and is more common than the uninformed folks are aware of.

9 minutes ago, Archie said:

You missed a great opportunity.  You should have taken the time to explain the law and self defense.  No wonder people are scared when they are uninformed.  Everyone acts like Rittenhouse was the first person to ever use lethal force to defend themselves. Its been happening forever and is more common than the uninformed folks are aware of.

given the history of vigilanteism in this country against black people, i can understand their concern.

it will be interesting to see what happens in the arbery trial in georgia, which appears to be a much clearer case of vigilanteism.

19 minutes ago, Archie said:

Yes.  All you have to do is get a gun, go pick a fight with an unarmed black guy, get your ass kicked, then shoot him and claim self defense.

Self defense is great when it's only given to white people to defend themselves.  Black people can't defend themselves.  They have to know their place.  If a cop showed up to break up the fight they'd instinctively shoot the black guy because he must have started it.  That's america.  Black people always have to justify their existence, their reason for being where they are.  If someone doesn't think you belong, they can call the cops, and the cops will want to see their papers.  If the black guy has a record in his past then it's ok to kill them.  

34 minutes ago, Archie said:

I am sorry, but I don't see it as self defense.  It was maybe self defense in the moment, but he deliberately put himself in this situation.  He was looking for trouble and he found it.  

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am sorry, but I don't see it as self defense.  It was maybe self defense in the moment, but he deliberately put himself in this situation.  He was looking for trouble and he found it.  

I think we're beating a dead horse here.  I think we should just say we agree to disagree on this topic.

55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

We just had a meeting at work where students and staff could express their feelings about the Rittenhouse verdict.  Every Black at the meeting is scared that we now have a license to be vigilantes.  I don't blame them.  It sets a terrible precedent.  

Not sure an Elite Ivy league school is the best barometer to get a good feel by an avaerage American but who knows? 

If I was invited to a meeting like that I would love to here what "facts" these feelings are based on. Meaning the media narrative that has been pumped in everyones ears for the last year ie. Momma driving, gun over state lines, random shooting spree etc..

I know "The Blacks" as you so eloquently stated deal with racism on a daily basis and I don't claim to downplay that at all. I really think the majority of Americans have no clue what really was found out during this trail.

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Not sure an Elite Ivy league school is the best barometer to get a good feel by an avaerage American but who knows? 

Brandeis is not Ivy League, but I agree it's not representative.  People at this school tend to have more advantages than the average American.  It still struck me that the first thought of every Black person at the meeting was increased fear due to this verdict.  

52 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Are students at Brandeis not allowed to have feelings or opinions on current events?

I get that students in higher education may not be the median voters, but that doesn't mean that their feelings or opinions are somehow invalid or worthy of dismissal either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Who could blame them for feeling that way?  In an open carry state I can shoot whomever I want to now.  All I have to do is provoke them into assaulting me, that's not too difficult.  And then I shoot them.

5 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Please state the law and/or provide a link to it. Not arguing about the law one way or the other but I would certainly like to read it for myself.

Feel free to look up your state laws on the internet.  Laws are different in each state.  

So much for Wisconsin getting out of the crime and drama spotlight. The guy that drove through the parade has several felony charges pending and was allowed to walk on $1k bail. Apparently he drove through the parade running from another crime he had just committed. In Wisconsin they don't have a no bail option so hopefully they will set it a little higher this time since he's being charged with several more crimes including five murders.