2003 vs 2023

RedRamage

I sincerely hope that this is just yet another slow start for the Tigers.  I sincerely hope that in a few weeks y'all will be making fun of me for even thinking that a thread like this tracking the two years was necessary.  I really, really hope that...

Through 9 games:

2003: 0-9, R = 9, RA = 14, pW/L = 1-8
2023: 2-7, R = 27, RA = 62, pW/L = 0-9

For Pythagorean Theorem, I'm using this formula from Baseball-Reference: W%=[(Runs Scored)^1.81]/[(Runs Scored)^1.81 + (Runs Allowed)^1.81] 

Nothing has really changed.  That first from Chas is pretty much the same thing we get here every day now.  

"Five games, four runs, sixteen hits.

In order of games played: four hits; three hits; three hits; three hits;
three hits.

Amazing.

This is not just, "Tigers suck". This is ineptitude of historic
proportions. I cannot imagine that any other team in the history of major
league baseball ever got only sixteen hits over five consecutive games ..."

22 minutes ago, kdog said:

And we have ownership who let this happen in both years. 

Yes, but one owner got sick of it and overpaid for Pudge and Magglio, which started a turn around.   If he was still alive I think things would be quite different.   

I nominate that we use a new word to describe games like Saturday & Sunday.    Tigers got Avilaed.    The Red Sox Avilaed the Tigers.    

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes, but one owner got sick of it and overpaid for Pudge and Magglio, which started a turn around.   If he was still alive I think things would be quite different.   

That owner let the team wither on the vine going into 2003. He deserves zero excuses.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Nothing has really changed.  That first from Chas is pretty much the same thing we get here every day now.  

"Five games, four runs, sixteen hits.

In order of games played: four hits; three hits; three hits; three hits;
three hits.

Amazing.

This is not just, "Tigers suck". This is ineptitude of historic
proportions. I cannot imagine that any other team in the history of major
league baseball ever got only sixteen hits over five consecutive games ..."

It doesn't make much sense that they hit so well in ST and then just fell in a hole. I mean sure, TB pitching is great, but that was only 3 games. ST is nothing definitive, but it's not meaningless either in terms of whether hitters individually look ready. What changed in the clubhouse or the preparation or the scouting or the data presentation or the advice/coaching/managing  between ST and opening day? Of course it's mostly the quality of the players, yet to have this happen to this degree 3 yrs running is starting to look like as much an indictment of the mangement as well as the players. Do they somehow manage to drive all their hitters out of their comfort zone once they start up regular season preparation procedures?

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

It doesn't make much sense that they hit so well in ST and then just fell in a hole. I mean sure, TB pitching is great, but that was only 3 games. ST is nothing definitive, but it's not meaningless either in terms of whether hitters individually look ready. What changed in the clubhouse or the preparation or the scouting or the data presentation or the advice/coaching/managing  between ST and opening day? Of course it's mostly the quality of the players, yet to have this happen to this degree 3 yrs running is starting to look like as much an indictment of the mangement as well as the players. Do they somehow manage to drive all their hitters out of their comfort zone once they start up regular season preparation procedures?

Spring training is not completely meaningless, but I don't think it's very meaningful.  Batters go up against minor league pitchers and major leaguers who are not going all out.  I would rather see a player hit well than not hit well in Spring training, but there is very little correlation between spring training and regular season performance. 

Just now, Tigermojo said:

The players who hit well in spring training are in Toledo and they are still hitting. Unfortunately they have obligations to overpriced players who did not produce in the spring or the regular season.

yeah - maybe some of that- of course the guy really raking for Toledo didn't  play much in ST.

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Is it just the change in weather?

Cold-starting the engine doesn't seem to work with these guys...

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

To provide a different example (not involving Tigers history), last year's Cincinnati Reds started 3-22 and managed to finish at exactly 100 losses.

Kinda expect that to be a better comparison when it's all said and done, which is unacceptable regardless.

In 2019 the Tigers started 12-10 and finished with 114 losses.  

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Making projections after the first 9 games of the season is only slighty better than making projections after spring training. 

Well, as I said... I do hope I'm wrong.  I'll update this periodically and like I said I'll be extremely pleased if y'all can laugh at me in a few weeks or months for even thinking there is any similarity between the two years.

54 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

40 games. Sparky Anderson. 

I wonder if anyone has ever put this Sparky axiom under the microscope? What is the correlation between a team's winning percentage after 40 games and the rest of the season? My guess is there might be a slight correlation but it's likely way overstated, as many things Anderson said were. 

14 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I wonder if anyone has ever put this Sparky axiom under the microscope? What is the correlation between a team's winning percentage after 40 games and the rest of the season? My guess is there might be a slight correlation but it's likely way overstated, as many things Anderson said were. 

I learned not to take seriously everything Sparky says when I sat near the dugout one game and between innings he said I was built like a Greek goddess.

• Like 1