05/10/2023 1:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Cleveland Guardians

casimir

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Keep him and put a division flag in the rafters. 

This is my thought, even if we don't win the division it would be nice to atleast play in some meaningful games in August and September and keeping E-Rod makes that hope a little more achievable. 

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Excellent road trip. Keep it up. I love the American League Central. Let's take advantage and steal a division title. Can't believe I wrote that but really why not ?

Still very early days of course, but yeah I see no reason we can't compete for the division. Not like the teams around us are any great shakes themselves overall.

Royals are horsecrap and will stay that way, White Sox will get marginally better when some of their guys come back but still imo won't be that good of a team overall, showed can beat the Guardians,and the Twins have more talent yes, but not sure if their starting pitching will hold up.

Again, a ton of games left and who the hell knows what a couple of months from now things will be like, but if we can stay half ass consistent anything can happen.

Edited by Fat Bastard

17 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I don't envy Harris having to figure out what to do with ERod.

Why it’s a no brainer you trade him winning a bad division and getting killed by the Rays or getting players that will hopefully help you win the division for years ….. seems easy to me

3 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Why it’s a no brainer you trade him winning a bad division and getting killed by the Rays or getting players that will hopefully help you win the division for years ….. seems easy to me

obviously it is not that easy; the Phillies were a deeply flawed 7th seed and then a month later, won 2 of the first 3 WS games. NYY have won 1 WS is the last 23 years because playoffs are a crapshoot.

I think they need to do something - move him or extend him; but I get the feeling Harris won't do either anytime soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

obviously it is not that easy; the Phillies were a deeply flawed 7th seed and then a month later, won 2 of the first 3 WS games. NYY have won 1 WS is the last 23 years because playoffs are a crapshoot.

I think they need to do something - move him or extend him; but I get the feeling Harris won't do either anytime soon

This team is no where near that phillies team they played in a loaded NL East  the Tigers play in one of worst divisions ever…. Playing for  a division championship with this team is very shorted sighted and Harris doesn’t strike me as a shortsighted win now kind of guy

If this team finds itself near the top of the division approaching the deadline, I am starting to lean more toward them trying to figure out a way to hold onto ERod or even get him extended beyond this year..... and while I understand the incentives for trading regardless of outcome, there's also the fact that winning, even in this bad division, can be used as a selling point to free agents in the upcoming couple of free agent classes. That this team sees this division as winnable and will do what it takes to compete.

Frankly, as much as we complain about the front office/ownership during this last offseason, the fact that the product on the field was so bad last year was no doubt an impediment to building from the outside.

But we have a long way to go until we get to that point.... even if they are competing and do decide to trade ERod, I just hope they do so in a way that they utilize the leverage of their position to extract more talent and/or talent that can be usable during this season and not down the road.

• Like 1