07/04/2023 6:40 pm EDT Oakland Athletics vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Carpenter, McKinstry and Rogers need to have their roles expanded instead of sharing with Ibanez, Schoop and Haase.  Platooning makes no sense at all if it means automatically giving playing time to players who consistently fail.

I'm not sure on McKinstry & Ibanez.  They may or may not be the best everyday options at 2B & 3B right now.  Short might figure into that as well.  Maybe a job share of the 3 for those 2 spots?  I don't know.

As far as the C situation, I think its as simple as Rogers is the primary and Haase gets the day game after night game and Rogers needs a rest games.  He can start a game in LF if needed, but that need isn't necessarily sit Carpenter automatically because a LHP is starting.  Play him, let him sink or swim with the bat vs LHPs.  The only caveat I can think of there is that they might be willing to move him this offseason, and they need to not overexpose a hole vs LHPs considering the glaring hole in his mitt.

15 minutes ago, kdog said:

He can't be optioned and the catchers at Toledo are not viable. We are stuck.

Yup.  That's kind of what I was getting at.

Can Marisnick catch?  That might be his only chance once Greene and Baddoo return.

59 minutes ago, casimir said:

Phillips was a natural for this thread.  A leadoff hitter as a Tiger and spent time with Oakland, so let him lead off this series.  Could be explosive (happy 4th of July).

Did any Tiger fan not appreciate Phillips' time as a Tiger?  I mean, sure, he had a clunker of a game now and again like all ball players do.  But, he was so fun to watch, you knew he'd be in the lineup, but you just didn't know where until you saw the lineup card.  He had some shortcomings as far as talent was concerned, but damn it if he didn't make up for it with wit and guile.

He was just tremendous, getting on base, scoring a million runs, playing all over the field.  And at the first sign of confrontation he would flip his wig.  I loved Tony Phillips, and he had sort of a little brother in Skeeter Barnes...2 guys that provided a lot of flexibility.

9 hours ago, Hart said:

Are the Tigers possibly holding Keith back to manipulate his service time?  Not even sure how that works anymore.  

Holding him back! He's 21 with half a season in AA and a week in AAA, and less than 700 total minor league at bats. He has a lot to work on.

I think as Tigers fans weve had so few prospects over the years to get excited about we don't know how to handle it when we actually get one, like we just feel they automatically should be in the big leagues but that just isn't how most teams do it.

They don't just throw them to the fire cause they put up a few months of great play in the minors, particularly when you still have questions about their defense.

You think as fans we wouldve learned our lesson with Maybin, Castellanos, Tork and to some extent Greene's struggles when getting called up too soon but it seems most haven't. 

38 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think as Tigers fans weve had so few prospects over the years to get excited about we don't know how to handle it when we actually get one, like we just feel they automatically should be in the big leagues but that just isn't how most teams do it.

They don't just throw them to the fire cause they put up a few months of great play in the minors, particularly when you still have questions about their defense.

You think as fans we wouldve learned our lesson with Maybin, Castellanos, Tork and to some extent Greene's struggles when getting called up too soon but it seems most haven't. 

Well put. Then, if we do bring them up, and they do not 'succeed' right away many fans then sour on the player even if they are say - just 23-24 yrs old ex Tork.

It takes time to develop players. Maybe there is a generation exception here and there - but that is rare. If Tork was doing still what he did last year, which maybe was not 'that' bad for that time, then there is an argument. At least now he is taking more steps forward (and some back still). IMHO, there is SOME progression with some nos. (and the old eye test) to back it.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Holding him back! He's 21 with half a season in AA and a week in AAA, and less than 700 total minor league at bats. He has a lot to work on.

You do realize he's probably the greatest minor league player of all time, right?    That there is no way NO WAY that he's facing subpar pitching and it won't translate to the big leaguers where pitchers snack on inexperienced hitters.   NO FREAKING WAY.    

26 minutes ago, alex said:

Well put. Then, if we do bring them up, and they do not 'succeed' right away many fans then sour on the player even if they are say - just 23-24 yrs old ex Tork.

It takes time to develop players. Maybe there is a generation exception here and there - but that is rare. If Tork was doing still what he did last year, which maybe was not 'that' bad for that time, then there is an argument. At least now he is taking more steps forward (and some back still). IMHO, there is SOME progression with some nos. (and the old eye test) to back it.

It takes time to develop players.  It also takes time to implement a development system.  Let's be honest, the organization was at best bad at getting talent or developing it.  It may be that they were guilty of both.  They are still less than a year into the Harris regime.  My guess is turning that around and into the direction it needs to go is like turning a freighter on the water.  It ain't turning on a dime.

39 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Keith is going to get jerked around because of service time. 

A) the service time issue is long solved. 

B) you actually can gain a draft pick now by leaving him in the minor leagues currently and not calling him up for a full season until next year

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Wait, my beother just texted me that this was the first game the A's have pitched a shutout this season...is that true?! 

If so:  Hey Harris, your team only gave up two hits in 10 innings and lost to the worst team in baseball...who also hasn't shut anyone out all season, until today...and Harvy is still batting cleanup.

Hey Harris, your team only gave up two hits in 10 innings and lost to the worst team in baseball...who also hasn't shut anyone out all season, until today...and Harvy is still batting cleanup.

Hey Harris, your team only gave up two hits in 10 innings and lost to the worst team in baseball...who also hasn't shut anyone out all season, until today...and Harvy is still batting cleanup.

i cant imagine being this angry about a rebuilding tigers team.

dude, this team is overachieving right now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, alex said:

One difference between Tork and Keith is that Tork's numbers werent all that great in the minors, especially compared to Keith's current small sampe size.

Ultimately I couldnt care less about service time, and if the guy is so fragile that a 10 day call up gone bad would break him forever, then maybe he's not cut out for this.  This team is in a div chase, believe it or not, I dont get not bringing all hands on deck and trying whatever you can offensively to add to this awful offense.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

Are they overachieving? I mean 10 games under .500 isnt all that great. But, in the snapshot of the bad division, they are almost un-ass enough to win it..maybe I'm so tired of this team being a dumpster fire, that I see a glimmer of hope this season to get in the dance, that it irritates the bejebus out of me when they lose a game like last night...and with Harvy batting cleanup...

Edited by Dtrain72

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

I don't know.   I understand the anger.  You got a young pitcher that your team's hopes are resting on for the future - making his first start and he doesn't give up a hit and then another young pitcher with potential pitches 5 more innings and gives up only 1 and the team can't bother to scratch a run across - while the manager is sitting better hitting options on the bench because the book says you can't put left handed hitters against lefty pitchers with the penalty being certain death or something.   Carpenter, Marisnick and McKinstry are all better options than Haase, who should only be the backup catcher at this point.  

2 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

And yours is the whiney assed way to vent about it.

Indeed, as I def dont enjoy things that suck...maybe I need to learn that way...I mean being the only team to ever strike out the opposition 12+ times and only give up to earned runs and lose since 1913, could only be described as the kids say "ass".

Edited by Dtrain72

Harris & Hinch were probably very thrilled with yesterday's game, actually.    To have Skubal & Olson pitch like that is far more valuable for the future than how most of their hitters hit (exception of Tork & Baez).    Most of those hitters that were sucking it up yesterday won't be here in 2025, which is what they are building for.  

1 hour ago, Dtrain72 said:

Are they overachieving? I mean 10 games under .500 isnt all that great. But, in the snapshot of the bad division, they are almost un-ass enough to win it..maybe I'm so tired of this team being a dumpster fire, that I see a glimmer of hope this season to get in the dance, that it irritates the bejebus out of me when they lose a game like last night...and with Harvy batting cleanup...

they're overachieving in my book.  they dont have much talent on the team to begin with, their best player is hurt, and all their pitchers have been hurt.

the fact that theyre not the a's or royals is overachieving to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We need the Twins and Cleveland Gardenhires to take off here. The 'division race' is screwing with people's brains.

The Tigers are not prioritizing winning individual games with the roster choices they are making. We should track young players and basically ignore the rest. They aren't punishing any of the hitters for poor performance.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

they're overachieving in my book.  they dont have much talent on the team to begin with, their best player is hurt, and all their pitchers have been hurt.

the fact that theyre not the a's or royals is overachieving to me.

They are winning at the same pace I predicted at the beginning of the season and have done it with a lot of injuries.  So, I'd say they are overachieving (mostly due to the bullpen). 

• Like 1