RIP Jim Price

oblong

Thank you for posting. Yes, Mr. Price deserves his own thread. Long time fan of listening to him and Dan Dickerson the radio. He stood in the game as long as he could. He told you how things were, esp later on.

I also had the honor of meeting him at one of the Old Tiger Stadium weekend Fantasy Camps. I remember it will, him tossing some Ps to me as I swung away for some hitting practice. Then Ernie came by to sit in the dugout and talk to several participants. Northrup, Horton and others participated as well.

"Late Movement" and "He put a severe buggy whip on that one" are the sayings I most remember.

Peace and onto 'The Field of Dreams' Jimbo  😇

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

Deserves his own thread.  He was a good man.  He was also a very nice man.

May Jack's Place for Autism live on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can’t express strongly enough how sad this makes me. I knew him not only as a player and a broadcaster, but as my Fantasy Camp team coach (along with Johnny Grubb) in 2008. He was a great guy, never a sharp word or tone that I ever saw, easy to talk to. Rode in a car with him and Rusty Kuntz and learned some interesting things I will never forget. He was a true gentleman. RIP Jim. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

This one’s a bummer. Just an absolute kind man. I know he hasn’t been on air much this year, but it’s going to be strange to not hear him on air with Dan again. 

Yes, a bummer for sure.  While this probably isn't a surprise given his absence this season, it still stinks.

Oh Danny Boy, have a great call tonight.  Given a choice between TV & radio tonight, its got to be radio tonight.

"And learning about things like the origins of Jim's famous "Yellowhammer" – his colorful description of a good breaking ball. Jim said it came from teammate Pat Dobson and was named after a bird. So one day, we looked it up – and sure enough, a Yellowhammer is a bird that is known for its ability to sharply dart down and away, just like a good curveball. We both got such a kick out of discovering that, and it always added to the moment whenever Jim would break it out – and then we could share a laugh, knowing the history behind the word."

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/detroit-tigers-broadcaster-1968-world-series-champion-jim-price-dies/

And if you didn't know before, you know now.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It makes me sad that he and Dan couldn’t call a World Series winner. I grew up listening to them. Not that he’s play by play, but the “wow WOW” during the Dan Dickerson Magglio ALCS call still gives me chills.

At least he played on one.  And had a job that he presumably loved until he was 81.  We should all be so fortunate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Good guy and maybe the longest tenured Tiger employee?

Sad day indeed.

Jim is still a few years short of the man he always called 'the Great Al Kaline", who was already 14 yrs into his Tiger career when JP arrived. Al was with the Tigers over 65 yrs. This year was Jim's 56th. Still pretty amazing.

I was never that big a fan of Paul Carey, so while no-one had topped Ernie individually, for me Dickerson and Price were the best radio broadcast pair since those few years when Ernie and George Kell worked together. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

All everyone has said and more are true. He was a true gentleman,  and always had time for me when I asked him a question about players I was researching for my books. 

I grew up with Ernie and Paul, and my kids grew up with Dan and Jim. I hope the next generation will be so lucky to have as good of a team to listen to  as those others would.

It will be a hard broadcast to listen tonight, and I'm sure Dan is not looking forward to it. Thanks for the memories Mr. Price and I hope you are in a nice area tonight. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

Anyway, yeah, I'm also not too surprised, but I'm very bummed. I'll genuinely miss him.

Yeah, we all speculated he must have been fairly bad off the way he sounded recently.   But he did was he loved and the inability to do it at all must have been crushing.     I am guessing Andy Dirks (if he's on tonight) will be breaking out the Price-ism in his honor