RIP Jim Price

oblong

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Late to dropping a comment, but Jimmie wasn't always the best color guy, but I grew to appreciate him more toward the end..... he had been there basically every step of the way in terms of my fanhood. 

He'll be missed greatly.

I started following the Tigers in 1999, so he's literally been in the broadcast booth the whole time I've been a fan. It's not going to be the same without him.  

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Late to dropping a comment, but Jimmie wasn't always the best color guy, but I grew to appreciate him more toward the end..... he had been there basically every step of the way in terms of my fanhood. 

He'll be missed greatly.

No doubt he had fallen off as his health failed and Dickerson had to do a lot of covering but the two of them together even with Jim at half speed was still a better broadcast than all the people they have tried other than Dirks.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

No doubt he had fallen off as his health failed and Dickerson had to do a lot of covering but the two of them together even with Jim at half speed was still a better broadcast than all the people they have tried other than Dirks.

I like Bobby Scales more than others probably, but otherwise I agree....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Price mostly followed Dickerson's lead which was a good thing.  They worked well together.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That's fair. He used to drive me batty but I grew to appreciate him and it became obvious that he and Dan really enjoyed each other's company.

Same.  He didn't appeal to me at first.  But...

15 hours ago, ben9753 said:

He always just felt authentic to me.

There was always a respect and appreciation for this.  So for whatever reason that I didn't find him favorable to me early on, his honesty grew on me.  He could praise and be critical.  You could tell he was a Tiger fan, but he also knew when/how to voice his disdain and heartbreak.  I think he grew on some of us because he was able to share his feelings as one of us.  If only we had a nickel for every time we heard him mutter "oh, geez, no excuse for that platy" and then he is quiet and you wonder if he actually had to take the headset off and get up and walk away from his seat for 30 seconds.  But he'd always start the game with unbridled optimism that today was the Tigers' day, no matter the circumstances.  Maybe yesterday stunk, but today is a new day, let's go get 'em today.

This thread should be appreciation for Price.  But given what recently happened in Baltimore, let's give the Ilitch family some credit for the radio side.  Mike brought back Harwell.  He knew what he meant to Detroit, to MIchigan, to Tiger fans.  He and Chris have allowed the radio guys the rope to be critical at times.  Sure, there's a line that they have to maintain.  There's a modicum of professionalism that they need to adhere to.  Nobody wants to listen to constant bashing and whining and complaining.  But the radio crew has been able to be pretty fair over the seasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Same.  He didn't appeal to me at first.  But...

There was always a respect and appreciation for this.  So for whatever reason that I didn't find him favorable to me early on, his honesty grew on me.  He could praise and be critical.  You could tell he was a Tiger fan, but he also knew when/how to voice his disdain and heartbreak.  I think he grew on some of us because he was able to share his feelings as one of us.  If only we had a nickel for every time we heard him mutter "oh, geez, no excuse for that platy" and then he is quiet and you wonder if he actually had to take the headset off and get up and walk away from his seat for 30 seconds.  But he'd always start the game with unbridled optimism that today was the Tigers' day, no matter the circumstances.  Maybe yesterday stunk, but today is a new day, let's go get 'em today.

This thread should be appreciation for Price.  But given what recently happened in Baltimore, let's give the Ilitch family some credit for the radio side.  Mike brought back Harwell.  He knew what he meant to Detroit, to MIchigan, to Tiger fans.  He and Chris have allowed the radio guys the rope to be critical at times.  Sure, there's a line that they have to maintain.  There's a modicum of professionalism that they need to adhere to.  Nobody wants to listen to constant bashing and whining and complaining.  But the radio crew has been able to be pretty fair over the seasons.

Low key one of Jimmie's best assets was his ability to call out the bad when he saw it.

Whether it's because of his stature (ie. being so long tenured with the club) or because he was on radio or otherwise, it's just not something you really get with the other color guys. Particularly on the TV side

• Thanks 2

Like a lot of others here, I grew to really like Jim as the color guy, and I think removing the middle-3 PBP duties was instrumental in that. His strength was always playing off of the PBP announcer, and I think being limited to that role made him better at it. His greatest strength, though, was that he was genuine: what Price gave you during a broadcast felt like what you'd get if you were watching a game with him at the bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Like a lot of others here, I grew to really like Jim as the color guy, and I think removing the middle-3 PBP duties was instrumental in that. His strength was always playing off of the PBP announcer, and I think being limited to that role made him better at it. His greatest strength, though, was that he was genuine: what Price gave you during a broadcast felt like what you'd get if you were watching a game with him at the bar.

I had forgotten about the PBP duties early on.  Now that you bring that up, I think that’s why I wasn’t much of a fan early on.  I guess it was just a tough spot that needed to be filled.  Harwell probably couldn’t go all 9.  So, yeah, by default whomever was paired with Harwell was going to do some middle inning PBP work.  Luckily the Tigers eventually grabbed Dickerson to do that.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Hope the Tigers figure out that Dirks is so good he should be on the tee-vee.  I’d be OK with Bobby S. on the radio with Dan.  Let Petry be the swing guy.

Not me. I want the better guy on radio because he will definitely have more freedom on what to say than on TV. Although Bobby Scales has also gotten better on the radio—he has said that Dan has taught him so much about how to be a broadcast professional this year—so I would be fine with him if they went in that direction.

Edited by chasfh

Reading over this thread reminds me why I love you folks, even though I’ve only ever met a handful of you face-to-face. There’s a lot of what Lincoln would call our “better angels“ coming to the fore in this thread. It says a lot about us, regardless of how small a tribe this has become, or how meager my participation has been as I’ve aged. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, holygoat said:

I prefer that Dirks be DD's permanent partner. They have great natural chemistry, and I think he'd be wasted on TV so long as Shep is there. 

True.. I think TV needs 2 new broadcasters , seems like a lot of teams now do multiple guys on their broadcast not a huge fan of that

Edited by Toddwert

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Good question.  He’s also a realtor in Oakland County, though I don’t think his activity is in Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills, where the bigger bucks are.

yeah that's what I'm getting at.   I know from family experience that the job involves lots of last minute tasks and would he be able to, or want, to do both? An active agent has assistants to handle things like going to various city halls for this or that (My mother in law does that for my brother in law) in addition to showings, closings, etc.  

If you are good and buy/sell a lot of good priced houses you can make good money.... is a radio/TV gig today worth more?  Not sure.

I was just looking at his website. Most of his listings seem to be in the Waterford, Clarkston area. His site says he specializes in first time homebuyers. The issue might be availability on road trips, but outside of actually showing homes a lot can be done remotely.

Having bought a house several states away during the pandemic it's doable. We even did the pre closing walk thru on FaceTime (did miss a couple of small things). 

but the caveat to that is if a remote agent is a selling point for him compared to other agents?  Would a buyer/seller be reluctant to go with him if they know he's working for the Tigers all the time from March thru September?  It could affect his draw as an agent.

My brother in law does real estate on the side, he loves it. It's his passion. He's also a full time teacher, and is very very good at it.  Only keeps that job b/c of the benefits.  He is very active on social media but doesn't mention anything about teaching for fear potential customers will think he isn't giving them 100% of his efforts.  I think it's silly myself but whatever...

But Dirks is very good on the mic.  As a fan I would love it.  The first time I heard him I assumed it was another industry person b/c he was very crisp at it.  Seemed like he'd been doing it a long time.