Eric Haase

UCFKNIGHT

I hope Eric can rebuild his baseball career. I know Eric has a family, however he should consider playing in Japan or Korea for a few years. Playing in Japan would help him improve his hitting and defense. Japanese players are much better at fundamental baseball skills. Foreign players can make pretty good money in Japan. In the early 80’s Warren Cromartie left the Montreal Expos for the Tokyo Giants. Warren Cromartie excelled in Japan and enjoyed the best seven years of his pro baseball career.

Perhaps the Tigers give him a crack at doing some games on air with either radio or television. Currently the Tigers need upgrades in a big way there.He’s a Detroit guy with roots in Motown. Jim Price would be the first to tell to you how special catchers are behind the mike.

Edited by 1776

I miss Hasse already. Not that he was great shakes this season but you know the pitchers knew Hasse well. and he proved to be a 20-25 hr guy. meanining, probably will hit better the rest of the season compared to this other guy Kelly. Maybe not, but try to convince me the new guy is a lot better than Hasse will be the rest of the way.

12 hours ago, Klondike said:

I miss Hasse already. Not that he was great shakes this season but you know the pitchers knew Hasse well. and he proved to be a 20-25 hr guy. meanining, probably will hit better the rest of the season compared to this other guy Kelly. Maybe not, but try to convince me the new guy is a lot better than Hasse will be the rest of the way.

Yeah,  I don't know, Carson Kelly doesn't seem much better than Haase, but Scott Harris saw a lot of him in the NL West, so maybe he just sees something.     I don't know how good Dillon Dingler's defense is, but it sure seems like he's tracking to be part of the Tigers in 2024, so maybe Kelly is just a band-aid.    Plus there's always the Sandman.  

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yeah,  I don't know, Carson Kelly doesn't seem much better than Haase, but Scott Harris saw a lot of him in the NL West, so maybe he just sees something.     I don't know how good Dillon Dingler's defense is, but it sure seems like he's tracking to be part of the Tigers in 2024, so maybe Kelly is just a band-aid.    Plus there's always the Sandman.  

Kelly is working off a team option for 3.5MM next year, and the prevailing assumption is that the Tigers will pick up the option if Kelly improves on some things and fulfills his prospect promise during the final six weeks of play and over the winter into spring training.

But I wonder if this move might actually be more about whether Dingler improves enough over the winter and during spring to warrant coming up to Detroit, if not in April, then early enough to make Kelly expendable.

Dingler will be 25 in November so we’re getting to the SOGOTP stage, so maybe they’re thinking if he looks really close in late March, they spin off Kelly and go with something like Rogers-Sands for a few weeks waiting for him; and if Dingler still doesn’t look close, they just pick up the option on Kelly, let Dingler keep developing, and start beating the bushes seeking another catcher-of-the-future.

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

Listened to Stavenhagen’s pod this morning and he talked about how Haase had become a sourpuss in the clubhouse because of his struggles. Understandable since he’s human, but that wasn’t going to help him stick around.

Also heard on the The Cody and Friend Pod that Tucker Barnhart, who the Cubs somehow decided was worth a 1 year deal with a player option, was DFA'd on the very same day.

Small world!