TV Series

I love that scene.  It's on my rotation of youtube clips to watch.  I also like the introduction of Larry, Daryl, and Daryl on Newhart where they will "do anything for a buck"

I'm reading James Burrows's book, he directed Taxi, Cheers, Friends, WIll and Grace.... he said the biggest laughs he ever got from a single scene was the famous Driving Test scene in Taxi.  He also said Will and Grace was the funniest overall show he did. 

God, I miss the 3 camera setup with a laugh track.  Real theatrical throwbacks.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When I was a kid (about 12 or so)  SOAP was a series on ABC.  It was a comedic spoof of Soap Operas and it dealt with a lot of adult themes, sexual innuendo and had the first openly gay regular character (played by Billy Crystal).     I was not allowed to watch SOAP, but I did anyway.  I would hide under the piano, blocked by the bench and watch.   I did this because I often heard my parents laughing loudly.       It was very funny.  

This is the scene where I burst out laughing and got caught.   I was allowed to watch it after this. 

One of my fave shows of all time... and I can barely remember it.

I'm going to have to rewatch this series...

I do remember the entire house shaking from (just mine or maybe my dad's too...) laughter...

Pictures were falling off shelves and such...

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is not a hilarious scene from a hilarious show, but it was one of my favorites.

The bit where they send Venus and Johnny to the Transmitter site because of a bomb threat.............Hilarious, and that actually happened to me when I worked at WDRQ in Detroit, probably 2002/2003.  (WJR gets bomb threats more than anyone would care to believe, but something about this one was very specific that it scared them a bit).   The transmitter room was part of a Hebrew school near 10 mile Rd & the Lodge.  You know where all those towers are.     There is NOTHING to do there,   the students were hanging out watching me do radio.    They thought it was more glamorous. 

The fact that Johnny believed there were Phone Cops who were out to get him for smashing a phone was priceless.  I've known radio people that were on the paranoid side.   Maybe have been chemically-related. 

3 Body Problem, the long awaited  project from GOT showrunners Benioff & Weiss, has dropped on Netflix. 

I’m 3 episodes in and it is incredible.   We will see if it can payoff in the remaining 5 shows or if it duds.   Sci-Fi has a funny way of doing that sometimes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

I enjoyed it but it really starts to slow down as the series goes on and become more of a character drama than sci-fi show.  The ending of episode 2 was such a great "holy crap" sort of moment for me having never read the books.  

I’ve stopped getting too excited about sci-fi shows after an exciting pilot episode.  I’ve watched too many with great concepts that ended up overwhelming themselves trying to tell the past story along with advancing the real time plot and all the while trying to maintain interesting character development.  It’s a hard thing to do.    I’m hoping this one is different.  

Edited by Hongbit

On 3/26/2024 at 3:40 PM, GoBlue23 said:

I enjoyed it but it really starts to slow down as the series goes on and become more of a character drama than sci-fi show.  The ending of episode 2 was such a great "holy crap" sort of moment for me having never read the books.  

My thoughts as well.  I liked the show and would recommend but it’s not some epic masterpiece.   They wasted almost 2 full episodes with a few meaningless storylines and  questionable character development.   Interested where they go with this next season but the show underperformed the amazing excitement it created after the first few episodes.

Edited by Hongbit

On 12/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, Deleterious said:

New season of Curb starts on Feb 4th.  They announced it will be the final season.  

Curb is definitely going out at the top of its game.

Edited by chasfh

I thought they did a good job.  Very Curb like.  This season over did the "Larry being Larry stuff", some of the bits were too blatant but whatever... I'm sure that was the intent. I loved the show.  I looked back and realized I've been watching since before my 23 year old son was born.  I know there was the huge gap.  One constant theme for us the last few seasons was "Man, they all got old".  But that's a good thing.  Keep people working.  I love how he would have his old friends from comedy days, be it SNL or Stand Up on the show. Folks like Mary Gross or Gary Kroeger.  And of course Bob Einstein himself.  It was a regular viewing for me on airplane flights, if they had it available.  You could knock out 3 episodes and make the flight so much better.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Mr and Mrs Smith, anybody?

If you like “Atlanta”, you’ll like this, since many of the same people work on both, and they both have the same feel and approach to photography and dialogue.

We just got through bingeing both shows. Both are super amazing. I was shocked how much I loved Atlanta.

I’m aware of A Gentleman in Moscow and I think the premise has promise, although it’s not on my radar to watch soon.

I’m of two minds when it comes to historical fiction. I like the historical aspects, of course, and I’m always assessing how true to life the presentation is. But I’m invariably disappointed because there always seems to be some B story that overshadows the events that I am interested in, e.g., “Love in the time of the Russian Revolution.” In that way, it almost seems like bait and switch. They hook me in with an intriguing historical premise only to disappoint me with a pedestrian B story that could have taken place in literally any other setting. (Honestly, I have no idea whether that is what “Gentleman in Moscow” is. It just happens to be proximal grounds for my example.)

I think the historical fiction I like best is about ordinary people who live through extraordinary times and how they deal with it, as long as the events swirling around them are true to history, and the focus is on their interaction with the events and not some personal story unrelated to them. I’m far less enamored of the kind of historical fiction that weaves fictional characters into the actual events themselves, particularly when they interact with real historical figures. That strikes as more indicative of what’s going on in the creator’s mind than in what actually went on in history, and I’m not a fan of people just making up stuff that comports poorly with reality.

Edited by chasfh

anyone else watching Fallout on Prime its based on the video game series its in a post-apocalyptic world with different factions of survivors of a nuclear war. The vibe of world is kind of if the 1950's never went away.... only 2 episodes in and I like it so far

Another series I am way behind on, but started watching the Wire last night.  2 episodes in and I really enjoy it like I knew I would.  I have heard such good things about the show.  I wish it was based in Detroit, but other than that I like it alot.

On 4/16/2024 at 10:03 AM, John_Brian_K said:

Another series I am way behind on, but started watching the Wire last night.  2 episodes in and I really enjoy it like I knew I would.  I have heard such good things about the show.  I wish it was based in Detroit, but other than that I like it alot.

have you watched Justified that did a season (City Primeval) based in Detroit