TV Series

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Juno Temple is a lot better in Season 5 than I imagined she would be when I noticed it was she in the first scene of s05e01.

I don't believe I've seen her in anything else or, nothing that I can recall.

She seems perfectly suited for this role however and is doing a great job acting so far... IMO.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:57 PM, MIguy said:

Recap of Fargo Season 5 Episode 3

💩 got weird. 

Yeah, if this is going all in on the supernatural direction it appears to be, I might check out of it, since supernatural doesn't exist and so I usually find its sudden appearance in otherwise grounded storytelling to be creatively lazy. As usual, YMMV.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, if this is going all in on the supernatural direction it appears to be...

???

Supernatural was Fargo season 2.

Season 5 I haven't seen anything about supernatural... it's all about spousal abuse, hiding from a violent spouse, Police abuse, and survival techniques.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, if this is going all in on the supernatural direction it appears to be, I might check out of it, since supernatural doesn't exist and so I usually find its sudden appearance in otherwise grounded storytelling to be creatively lazy. As usual, YMMV.

A lot of people are saying that the flashbacks are showing Munch to be immortal, but I think it's a lot more likely we're just seeing some distant relative of his.  

3 minutes ago, MIguy said:

A lot of people are saying that the flashbacks are showing Munch to be immortal, but I think it's a lot more likely we're just seeing some distant relative of his.  

This is the part that I know I've seen, but would like to rewatch to let it sink in further.

Also, I didn't think supernatural at the time but more along the lines of the superstitions rampant in earlier times.

I forget what he did after the ceremony also... which may be the supernatural derivation...

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

The strong implication was that Munch is that same guy, but to your point, that doesn't mean the implication is true.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

The strong implication was that Munch is that same guy, but to your point, that doesn't mean the implication is true.

The UFO from the previous season was too much but I gave it a pass because the rest of the season was very enjoyable.  A supernatural 500 year old hit man would be just too much and would ruin this season.  

19 minutes ago, MIguy said:

The UFO from the previous season was too much but I gave it a pass because the rest of the season was very enjoyable.  A supernatural 500 year old hit man would be just too much and would ruin this season.  

But if it were just a genetic connection...

You know, like Assassin's Creed (the movie, I don't know the software game all that well)...

I would be good with that.

PS: Was there a UFO last season...? I remember the UFO in season 2, which I alluded to above, in the first episode and in the penultimate episode... and those played major roles in the deaths of both Rye Gephardt and Bear Gephardt.

That could have been a bit much... but it was the 70's so I thought it was perfectly acceptable.

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But if it were just a genetic connection...

You know, like Assassin's Creed (the movie, I don't know the software game all that well)...

I would be good with that.

PS: Was there a UFO last season...? I remember the UFO in season 2, which I alluded to above, in the first episode and in the penultimate episode... and those played major roles in the deaths of both Rye Gephardt and Bear Gephardt.

That could have been a bit much... but it was the 70's so I thought it was perfectly acceptable.

I meant "a previous season".   My bad.  I agree, there's a way to make a connection between the past and present that would work, just hopefully that that direct of a connection.  

Edited by MIguy

Bottom line, I loved how this season started in the first two episodes, and now in episode three the potential of supernatural is rearing its ugly head. I don't think they would do a callback to 1522 or whenever it was to not link to it directly in the storyline. Probably the most logical way they could extricate themselves from the idea that he is that guy would be to suggest that he is the latest descendant in a 20-ish-deep line of weirdos that emanated from the 1522 guy. And really, could the 1522 guy even get himself a wife he can propagate with? And could this guy himself a wife so he could propagate the line? Unless he is actual Satan in which case ... that would make this season just too ****ing stupid.

I'm open to them making this logical somehow.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

.... Probably the most logical way they could extricate themselves ... would be to suggest that he is the latest descendant in a 20-ish-deep line of weirdos that emanated from the 1522 guy. And...

Assassin's Creed with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard...

Exactly.

There is even a critical point of relationship between 1522 and 2022 in that, as a Sin-Eater, you MUST be PAID for eating someone else's sins. And of course Munch's current major point of contention with the Tillman's is that they have NOT paid him....

"YOU OWE ME".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 2:02 PM, chasfh said:

It hasn't pulled in anything supernatural... mostly Munch as just a wildly strange/ interesting character.

They've gone heavily into spousal/ physical/ violent abuse.

It has me on edge.

Waiting for the sky to fall on Roy Tillman and for Wayne & Dot to come out alive and well. With Lorraine having MAJOR support/ belief in Dot after everything that's come out...

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

It hasn't pulled in anything supernatural... mostly Munch as just a wildly strange/ interesting character.

They've gone heavily into spousal/ physical/ violent abuse.

It has me on edge.

Waiting for the sky to fall on Roy Tillman and for Wayne & Dot to come out alive and well. With Lorraine having MAJOR support/ belief in Dot after everything that's come out...

We don’t know yet that Munch won’t end up being supernatural, but I do agree with you that it hasn’t become a factor with two episodes left, and for that, so far, I’m glad.

Speaking of supernatural in TV or movies, the Crown: I’m on episode 6/4, after the crash in the Paris tunnel, and while both the Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth and Mohamed Al-Fayed were alone ruminating about the recently-deceased, each had what looked like beyond-the-grave visits from the ghosts of Diana and Dodi, respectively. I never did like this trope in the first place because I think it’s lazy writing, although depending on the tone of the show or movie, I’ll allow some hallucination if it’s one-and-done, and if it’s clear by whatever the “dialogue” is that it’s being fabricated in their heads. Not my favorite thing, but meh … okay …

However, in this case, each of the apparitions said something that only the deceased characters could have known or thought, suggesting they were actual visits from ghosts and not hallucinations, which, again, as writing goes, I regard to be a super lazy crutch. I understand the supernatural has been quite in for some time in Hollywood productions, but that doesn’t mean it’s always appropriate in every circumstance it’s used.

It’s one thing to have the supernatural creeping into a fictional piece like Fargo, and I don’t love even that. But when they impose it on a scene from what’s supposed to be actual history, that is a bridge so far for me that I’m sorely tempted to just bail on whatever it is I’m watching. If either of them show up again to anyone else before the end, like Diana to William and/or Harry, I might just do that.

9 hours ago, smr-nj said:

I only started watching VEEP this week. The characters are great.  Very funny dialogue. I’m hooked. 😂

It took me multiple tries to stick with it, because I don’t love unremittingly mean people with no redeeming qualities, but once I got past the characters themselves and focused on the jokes, I liked it a lot better.