TV Series

On 4/26/2023 at 9:44 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Just finished Waco on Netflix. I had barely paid attention to it when it happened thirty years ago. I had seen a dramatic recreation of the events but this is the first time I've seen actual footage and interviews with those closely involved. Koresh was a nut job and at the end of it all the blame squarely falls on his shoulders. That said, the government sure screwed the pooch on it.

My wife & I watched that a few months ago.  To me the only reason it lasted as long as it did is efficiency.  The Koresh followers had ONE person making the decisions - nuts as he was.  The gov't could not, or WOULD not, let one person run the show - & it showed.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:09 PM, Sports_Freak said:

New Justified show starting Thursday. Set in Detroit and also based on an Elmore Leonard book. In case anyone cares;

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14263564/

Saw about half of the first episode.  I wouldn't describe this as landmark television worthy of cancelling your plans for whatever night its on.   I'll try to power through that episode tonight.  I'm not sure this is worth the effort.  Basically, there have not been good Detroit depictions in TVs and Movies since The Great and Powerful Oz which was metaphorically about Detroit. 

Edited by romad1

Episode 7 of The Bear Season 2 (the Christmas episode) is a grind.  My wife and I had to hug it out to calm our PTSD. 

EDIT:  This is episode 6 i am referring to.   Episode 7 is very good and features Olivia Coleman. 

Edited by romad1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah episodes 6 and 7 were great, we watched them back to back which I think is the best way to view it.

If the Bear doesn't win a lot of emmy's then something else amazing happened I need to know about. 

Episode 7 was great.  

Maybe do not read further if you have not watched episode 7 yet.

I assumed they were talking about Alinea when they said it was a 3 star restaurant.  But the episode was shot in a place called Ever owned by Curtis Duffy.  The background/extra people in the episode were employees at Ever.  Duffy and his staff also made all of the food for the episode.

Duffy is a legend in Chicago culinary circles.  Worked at Charlie Trotters, chef de cuisine (head chef) at Alinea when it opened, chef de cuisine at 2 star Avenues in the Peninsula, co-owner and chef de cuisine at 3 star Grace before it closed, and now Ever has 2 stars.

It was a great portal into the insane world of fine dining.  I loved the guy explaining why he works in that field.  And yes, you will have a long discussion about a single smudge.  And yes, a restaurant of that caliber will research you when you book a reservation.  

My single complaint about this episode is the same I have for ever episode of this series.  Not enough Oliver Platt.

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine worked at the Ritz in the 90's and told me similar things about how they track their guests.   Except in one instance it wasn't flattering.  There was a Pizza Hut franchisee in the area, kind of well known, also a very big guy.  He would take dumps in the bathtub.  That was noted in the computer.

I'm trying to think of anything Oliver Platt was in that wasn't great.

What I like about The Bear is they don't go out of their way to explain things.  Someone like Del obviously knows things that regular viewers don't but they leave it to us to either figure out or be in the dark and I'm ok with that.  Treats the viewers with respect.  Plus it would lose it's pacing and authenticity.  Ron Howard dumbed down one of my favorite movies of all time, Apollo 13 so I'm not being that critical, but you won't have the reality of mission control people explaining basic orbital mechanic issues to each other.  The Bear doesn't do that and I like it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Finished The Bear.  All I will say is every walk in cooler I have been in had a plunger type thing you pushed to open the door from the inside.

Yeah, that was kind of a low point for me.  Even worse since the safety mechanisms are rather simple and you do not need a technician to fix them.  Our maintenance guys maintain and fix ours.  Your average DIY homeowner could fix it.  

Was Abby Elliot pregnant in real life?  Her face looked like it.

Fun trivia, she's the only SNL cast member who was a child of a cast member.  Chris was on during the horrible mid 90's period, before the turnover to the Will Ferrell led cast.

Binged through seasons 1&2 ofJustified, and flying through season 3….. because of the recommendation here for this show, and especially season 6! (Didn’t want to just try to watch season 6… wanted the full feeling of the characters)

Thanks for the heads up.. I’m very much enjoying this show 👍

So this happened last night and The Bear fans can appreciate. Couple of my buddies are bike builders.  So we just get back from a ride and Rick said he has a client coming to pick up his latest build. Who is waiting at the shop door? Matty Matheson! Here are some shots of the build, the bike is a 1966 Shovelhead. 

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Watch the first 10 seconds of this clip.  Look at the inside of the door when he opens it.  This is from season 1 and it has NSFW language.

So it probably cost them extra money to make that a plot point.  

I saw that he's playing Kerry Von Erich in the movie about that family.  

Del, I also wanted to ask you.... what's the significance of the green tape.  Is that what's used in the industry?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

So it probably cost them extra money to make that a plot point.  

I saw that he's playing Kerry Von Erich in the movie about that family.  

Del, I also wanted to ask you.... what's the significance of the green tape.  Is that what's used in the industry?

We use blue and I think most do as well.  The green was likely them paying homage to Thomas Keller since his places are famous for using neon green and the use of painters tape to label containers supposedly started at his place, The French Laundry.  

They hated the residue that masking tape left behind when you peel it off.  And I don't know if it is true or not, but the rumor is Keller has fired people for not cutting the tape off evenly with scissors.  I doubt he actually fired anyone.  But he is famous for wanting the tape cut off exactly even with scissors.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 8:03 AM, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I'm still getting caught up on The Bear, but I just watching the family Christmas dinner episode. The show is always a bit of a stressful watch, but they cranked that up to 11 in that episode. Oh my! And all the guest stars were simply fantastic.

the next episode is better... as I'm sure you've read here.  Enjoy.