TV Series

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Is The Bear really a comedy?

I notice they won best actress, best actor, and best series.  All three were in the comedy section.  Not sure I would call it a comedy.  

I had the same thought.

I thought about it last night and concluded that if there’s no murder or sex scenes, not just references, and it has some funny bits, then it can qualify.  Does the GG decide these things or is it submitted by the show?   Something to look up. 

23 hours ago, oblong said:

I checked their award summary on IMDb and it’s mostly designated as comedy but a handful of events call it a comedy.  The Emmys called it comedy.  

It depends on how the production company or network submits it.  If they define it as a comedy, it gets submitted as a comedy.  I think there is some method that the awards in question confirm it, so I don't think the bar is high.   

For instance, Rhea Seehorn (as Kim Wexler) was a lead actress in the final season of Better Call Saul, but the producers submitted her as a Supporting Actress - probably because they thought she had a better chance to  win.  

If they producers of Amadeus had nominated F. Murray Abraham as Lead Actor and Tom Hulce as Supporting Actor, they both would have won Oscars that year, but they felt it would be an insult to Hulce to call him a Supporting Actor in that role.    Their decision.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Have not seen Succession but suspect that its not as good at what it does as Andor in defying the category limitations of being a Disney+ Star Wars series. 

For the same reason I never watched the Sorkin/Jeff Daniels "talk show host" show, I just do not feel drawn to shows about the industry, especially on the news side.  I think mentally it's too close to reality and I want my viewing to be an escape from that.  Granted I never watched a second of those shows so it's by definition an ignorant take but with so many things to choose from.... I didn't choose those.  I'm not interested in watching an avatar of the Murdoch family or Bill O Reilly or Jon Stewart.

I started watching Echo and it reminds me of Andor.  Street level stuff that's not directly connected to anything else in that universe.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

... I started watching Echo and it reminds me of Andor.  Street level stuff that's not directly connected to anything else in that universe...

It reminded me of the Netflix series Daredevil and Punisher. Gritty and street level and sometimes brutal.

All good series.

And yes, Andor for Star Wars was in the same vein... great series.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 8:20 AM, romad1 said:

Have not seen Succession but suspect that its not as good at what it does as Andor in defying the category limitations of being a Disney+ Star Wars series. 

Succession was great at making a compelling show consisting of all bad people. Somehow it was a show of all antagonists. LOL! Also, Succession was not really a show about the media in the way that the Daniels show was. It was a family dynamic/backstab show with a media company as the backdrop.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:20 AM, romad1 said:

Have not seen Succession but suspect that it’s not as good at what it does as Andor in defying the category limitations of being a Disney+ Star Wars series. 

Succession is absolutely fantastic.  Some of the best acting and character development you will see on TV.   You should take the plunge.  It won’t disappoint.  

I agree on Andor.   It’s not really a Star Wars show at all.  It’s a fantastic heist + prison break adventure.  My parents are not Star Wars people at all and I turned them onto it and they loved it.  

30 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

We've been rewatching Band of Brothers. Twenty plus years it still holds up. Interesting watching a young Damion Lewis and Ron Livingston. 

I just rewatched it myself and agree completely.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I just rewatched it myself and agree completely.

One of the reasons we revisited it is that one of my wife's cousins served in an outfit that fought alongside E. He was several years older that her, her mother was the baby of the family. We never knew it until he passed a few years ago.

I think it was C Company, there's a book out about it and he was mentioned a few times. Quite the jokester. He later spent several years working for one of the railroad companies outside Philadelphia.