TV Series

Have you watched the other MCU movies?

I got into them last fall and it was an amazing experience.  What I'm finding with their shows is it makes me go back and watch some of the movies again for bakcground, not that I need any reason to.

Have you watched Loki yet?  First episode is out.  Takes place right after he teleports himself out in Endgame.

I watched a few episodes of WandaVision and really enjoyed it, but haven't had the time to go back and finish the rest yet.  I'm also interested in seeing the Captain America series and now Loki... 

I find that in the evening when I sit down to relax I'm often reading and surfing on my tablet and don't have the attention span to do that and watch original TV programming.  So usually the Tigers game or some old movie that I've seen 20 times becomes my background distraction.  Now with the Olympic trials happening and the Olympic games starting soon, I probably won't get back to watching those TV shows until the fall.  What a life...  🙂

1 hour ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I watched a few episodes of WandaVision and really enjoyed it, but haven't had the time to go back and finish the rest yet.  I'm also interested in seeing the Captain America series and now Loki... 

I find that in the evening when I sit down to relax I'm often reading and surfing on my tablet and don't have the attention span to do that and watch original TV programming.  So usually the Tigers game or some old movie that I've seen 20 times becomes my background distraction.  Now with the Olympic trials happening and the Olympic games starting soon, I probably won't get back to watching those TV shows until the fall.  What a life...  🙂

I am the same way.  I don't want to concentrate or focus.  I've started The Crown and it's interesting.  I know some of it's bullshit but still neat to see the history and know that it's kind of like how it went down.

If a series has hour long episodes that's about my limit. I don't understand these people who can binge shows all day long.  Don't they have jobs or repsonsibilities?

As for Wandavision I really liked the overall story arc.  After I went back and watched Age of Ultron and Infinity War so I could focus on her and Vision.

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Have you watched the other MCU movies?

I got into them last fall and it was an amazing experience.  What I'm finding with their shows is it makes me go back and watch some of the movies again for bakcground, not that I need any reason to.

Have you watched Loki yet?  First episode is out.  Takes place right after he teleports himself out in Endgame.

I've seen them here and there. I liked some of the series like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Loki came highly recommended by another person so we're going to check that out too.

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, djhutch said:

My wife & I just finished Downton Abbey & went immediately into Doctor Thorne, just a 4 episode mini-series also done by Julian Fellows.  We finally decided to pay for BritBox, so now we're starting Father Brown. 

Not sure if they’re on Britbox, but you might want to check out Inspector Morse. Morse is based on a series of detective novels by Colin Dexter. I know Endeavour made it to PBS for a few seasons and may still be on Passport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not sure if they’re on Britbox, but you might want to check out Inspector Morse. Morse is based on a series of detective novels by Colin Dexter. I know Endeavour made it to PBS for a few seasons and may still be on Passport. 

Cool .. Thanks!  We're not really sold on Father Brown yet.  We'll give it a few more before deciding. 

Morse is rather old now - the storytelling is pretty darned good but some of the production is rather dated now. I like it but I remember it coming out and lived pretty close to Oxford for a time. And drank the same beer...

We just got the most recent three episodes of Endeavour (same character; prequel - in case you weren't aware). Obvs the production values are much more up to scratch. Not watched them yet, but I imagine they'll be good. Lewis was in the same canon and came after Morse - also worth a look I'd say.

• Like 1

Anyone watch La Brea last night?  I was intrigued with the premise of this show but I dunno... watching the first episode it's a bit different than what I was expecting.  And some of the characters are... rather silly. Add in some really poor writing, some serious questions about the science and a healthy dash of supernatural... I'm not sold yet.  I'm not writing the show off yet, but it wasn't a great start in my humble opinion.

Finished up Midnight Mass last week and while I enjoyed it for the most part the ending fell a little flat with me.

Almost done with Chapelwaite and the first 3 episodes or so I thought were really well done...this is also kind of falling flat a little.  Still pretty good, but not living up to what it offered the first 3 or so IMO.

I think I am still on episode 4-5 of Castle Rock, going to dive back into that when Chapelwaite is done.

We are 4 episodes into Squid Game and I am addicted to it.  I mistakenly thought it was a reality game show at first so I was realllllyyyy confused at first.  It does have some moments where you question how the hell things are happening or there seem to be some plot holes, but otherwise the show is so compelling to me that I don't really worry about them for long and just go for the ride.  Although apparently Netflix's subtitles (it is a Korean series) are apparently REALLY badly translated so that might be part of the plot holes I am seeing.  One rule of the games really confused me with how it played out in the show but apparently it is because one of the words in the rule was badly mistranslated.  I still can't wait to dive back in and see where the hell it is going.

4 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

We are 4 episodes into Squid Game and I am addicted to it.  I mistakenly thought it was a reality game show at first so I was realllllyyyy confused at first.  It does have some moments where you question how the hell things are happening or there seem to be some plot holes, but otherwise the show is so compelling to me that I don't really worry about them for long and just go for the ride.  Although apparently Netflix's subtitles (it is a Korean series) are apparently REALLY badly translated so that might be part of the plot holes I am seeing.  One rule of the games really confused me with how it played out in the show but apparently it is because one of the words in the rule was badly mistranslated.  I still can't wait to dive back in and see where the hell it is going.

Love Korean movies and TV shows. Squid Game is freaking crazy. Which makes it great.

• Like 1

With my wife being a nurse who works 3PM-3AM I end up watching alot of shows by myself. I finished Ozarks a while back but felt she would enjoy it so I watched it again with her. She really likes it and calls it one of her all time favs now. If you have not watched it (Still one season to be released) you should.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, slothfacekilla said:

Is there a recommendation with regard to the subtitles, or do you just have to live with it? I usually watch shows in the original language with English subs. Seems unlikely that I should choose the English dub for this. I was going to search it myself, but don't want to stumble on any spoilers...