TV Series

Dopesick on Hulu. It’s a 360 look at the beginning of the opioid addiction crisis from the standpoints of a doctor caught up in prescribing then using, the Sacklers who callously pushed the drug, the people who enabled the push, the DEA working to bring them down and hold them accountable, and the people caught up in the addiction. It sounds like a relentless downer, and it’s true there’s not much levity to balance it out, but there are a lot of strong performances that make it a compelling watch.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Dopesick on Hulu. It’s a 360 look at the beginning of the opioid addiction crisis from the standpoints of a doctor caught up in prescribing then using, the Sacklers who callously pushed the drug, the people who enabled the push, the DEA working to bring them down and hold them accountable, and the people caught up in the addiction. It sounds like a relentless downer, and it’s true there’s not much levity to balance it out, but there are a lot of strong performances that make it a compelling watch.

There are times when I enjoy exposing myself to the ugly underbelly of society and there are times I revel in the blissfulness of my ignorance. Much like the show Narcos, this is probably a fantastic series, however, just as with the aforementioned Narcos, I'm going to pass for the benefit of my own mental health.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

As with war movies or other fiction that basses itself on real life...just remember it is still a work of fiction/Drama based on real life...liberties are taken.

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Michael Keaton is an American treasure in my opinion and it's still bothers me he didn't win the Oscar that year.  He deserved it.  

And what annoys me so much is what Eddie Redmayne won it for.   It was a shitty movie about Stephen Hawking, which was just like the shitty (totally inaccurate) movie about John Nash, and, of course, Russell Crowe won.   Doesn't it seem that with the Oscars that whomever has to play the most physically or mentally challenging part will always win.    The Birdman role was much more challenging because it was so subtle.     

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Watching The Sopranos for the first time, almost through Season 3.

How it took this long to sit down and watch this series, I'll never know. Its amazing. 

enjoy!  I watched it during the original run and twice since.... then last year Michael Imperioli (Christophuh!) and Steven Schirippa (Bobby Baccala) started a podcast, right before the pandemic started, where they review one episode a week.  They are finally down to the last episode so I was followed along.

It was really a groundbreaking series for making the main character an anti-hero.  The writers and directors involved went on to make so many other things.

9 hours ago, pfife said:

I think we're about to watch the sopranos too, I've also never seen it.  We watched the pilot a few days ago.

the pilot was shot quite a bit before the reason of the series as that was just to see what HBO thought.  Originally David Chase thought it would be just a movie.  The season 1 arc was the idea for the movie with a bunch of filler.  He told Steven Van Zandt, "I hope we don't get picked up, I'm out of ideas".

On 12/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, oblong said:

Anyone watching Hawkeye?  

I'm digging it.

Hah!!!

Now with Kingpin? Now I gotta remember which Vigilante series he was in, and which season... And I know he made it into more than one series/ season so... Wait... wasn't Vera Farmiga his love interest in his main vigilante series? Funny, at the start of this episode, just as Jack Duquesne was getting arrested I thought "OH, her mom is going to go bad...".

I blazed through the different vigilante series and was ok with some of it but... it didn't sink in like the rest of the MCU...

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Hah!!!

Now with Kingpin? Now I gotta remember which Vigilante series he was in, and which season... And I know he made it into more than one series/ season so... Wait... wasn't Vera Farmiga his love interest in his main vigilante series? Funny, at the start of this episode, just as Jack Duquesne was getting arrested I thought "OH, her mom is going to go bad...".

I blazed through the different vigilante series and was ok with some of it but... it didn't sink in like the rest of the MCU...

It was Daredevil and I quite enjoyed that.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, oblong said:

Kevin Nealon said on weekend update that they need a new category.  If involved the “r” word so I won’t repeat it.  Just shows how much we changed in 30 years though. 

Mr. Show had their take too     (I highly encourage  you to watch the follow up to this: Why Me? The Bob LaMonta Story). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Any Cobra Kai fans? News season looks fantastic!

Yes, both my wife and I are huge fans of Cobra Kai.  The original Karate Kid is a classic from our youth, so it wasn't hard to find this series enjoyable.  Love the humor and drama...  Good stuff.  We hate having to wait another year or so to binge the next season.

• Like 1