TV Series

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Only Murders in the Building was good. While I'm a fan of Martin Short and Steve Martin, I generally expect a cast with big names to phone it in. They did anything but. Funny, well-written, suspenseful. Recommend.

What channel is that on? ( or Netflix? Hulu? Amazon?) 

I probably won’t have the service it’s on, but just in case I can see it, I’ll seek it. 🙂

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 9:04 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Has anyone checked out the Pamela Anderson/Tommy Lee miniseries that's on Hulu right now? Thoughts if you have?

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/lily-james-needed-dozens-of-fake-breasts-for-pam-tommy-series

Lily James wore out 50 pairs of fake breasts when filming ‘Pam & Tommy.’

James required a new pair of fake breasts ever day during shooting to play the buxom supermodel.

The show’s head of make-up, Jason Collins, said: “They’re made out of gel-filled silicone appliances, which move like real skin and absorb light similarly. We used a new pair every day for filming which meant having 50 made.”

I'm rewatching The Wire, which I haven't seen since 200-something. It was in 4:3 SD when I first saw it; they've reformatted it to 16:9 SD since.

My wife, who is staunchly anti-rerun and will never view anything a second time, even something she hasn't seen in decades, expressed surprise that I would rewatch The Wire because she knows I don't like "cop shows", meaning network procedurals.

Procedurals are mostly standalone shows in which each episode is its own story where a crime is introduced, investigated, and resolved within the 44 minutes allotted it. They invariably also have model-beautiful and -handsome law enforcement officer characters; cartoonishly-evil sociopathic criminals; super-advanced technology providing instantaneous information about anybody anytime; and swelling musical cues signaling viewers, "hey, pay attention, this is an important scene".

The Wire has almost none of this (outside of, I guess, model-handsome Idris Elba). They have law enforcement characters who look like everyday people; morally ambiguous characters on both sides of the law; investigations that go in fits and starts instead of a straight line up toward a solution); and, mercifully, practically no musical bed under any of the dialogue. Best of all, they seem to have cast exactly the right actors to play the roles. The performances are astonishingly good.

I don't like procedurals, but I love The Wire, and I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it watch it, and if you have seen it, rewatch it.

My wife and I had kept up with The Walking Dead just to see it through but the episodes they released this time last year that were filmed during the pandemic were brutal.  You could tell they were working around things, each one had just a few characters in it and most scenes were solitary.  Last year the DVR recorded a bunch of old episodes and erased the newer ones and we never cared enough to go back and watch.  There was too many other better things out there to take up our time  But with there being a lull now and the fact they are coming up on the final shows we decided to give it another shot.

The final episode of season 10 is very very good.  Focuses on Negan and his backstory, which sounds very similar to what I heard was in the comics.  Even if you quit watching a few seasons ago I would suggest finding that episode.  It's mostly flashbacks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

The final episode of season 10 is very very good.  Focuses on Negan and his backstory, which sounds very similar to what I heard was in the comics.  Even if you quit watching a few seasons ago I would suggest finding that episode.  It's mostly flashbacks.

I have missed at least three (maybe four?) seasons but will seek this one out on your recommendation.

Just now, Biff Mayhem said:

I have missed at least three (maybe four?) seasons but will seek this one out on your recommendation.

The very beginning and end are current but you don't need to know what's going on to understand. 

Seriously most of the time wheN I watch these now i am checking my watch to see how much longer.  Not this one.  I didn't want it to end.

51 minutes ago, oblong said:

anyone else still watching The Walking Dead?  We are almost caught up and I don't know what happened behind the scenes but this season is as good as anything we've seen with the show. 

We are still current...we have been watching as they come out since the beginning.  Actually I just realized the second part of the season just started...so we are an episode behind right now.

7 hours ago, oblong said:

anyone else still watching The Walking Dead?  We are almost caught up and I don't know what happened behind the scenes but this season is as good as anything we've seen with the show. 

I’m still watching. I thought Sunday’s episode was vg.

• Like 1

I am just imagining this - from the future.  

Shots of an empty desert in black and white and  ambient outdoor noise 

then more empty desert and footsteps

still more empty desert and a dark music tone

Voice Over as more shots of familiar places, still in black and white:   "Caucasian Female,  30s or 40s, blonde hair, no ID,  hands bound behind back with an extension cord, two bullet wounds in the back of the head........no attempts to dispose.........., looks like a message to me."

Voice Over 2 "A message for who?"

Music tone comes to a sudden stop quick edit to a hand with dried blood on the ground as the shot turns to color

Caption reads  "Better Call Saul: Series Finale: Monday at 9"

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Anyone seen episodes of Cowboy Bebop?

One of mine was a big anime fan back in the day when the original series appeared here. Have probably seen pieces of all of them without ever having intentionally sat down to watch one all the way through. Saw a lot more of "Inuyasha" - actually knew what was going on in that one. Never really got much of an overall sense of what was going on in CB - though I guess the existential angst is sort of the point -- and not that I ever got the idea plot is ever a particularly big thing in anime anyway.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

One of mine was a big anime fan back in the day when the original series appeared here. Have probably seen pieces of all of them without ever having intentionally sat down to watch one all the way through. Saw a lot more of "Inuyasha" - actually knew what was going on in that one. Never really got much of an overall sense of what was going on in CB - though I guess the existential angst is sort of the point -- and not that I ever got the idea plot is ever a particularly big thing in anime anyway.

This one is a live version on Netflix based off of the anime series.

With Jonathon Cho & Mustafa Shakir... and a never ending stream of cool Bebop Jazz drifting throughout...

This is quite amazing IMO...

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This one is a live version on Netflix based off of the anime series.

With Jonathon Cho & Mustafa Shakir... and a never ending stream of cool Bebop Jazz drifting throughout...

This is quite amazing IMO...

can't even imagine doing anime as live action.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Don't watch anime so that means nothing to me...

All I can say is this Netflix version is brilliant.

It was always my impression from what I saw during that big burst of anime activity - Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, that those artists were all about creating a mood - sort of like film noir in the 30s - though a different mood of course. Mostly the alienation of modern life, which clicked with the millennial audience in both Japan and the US.

Edited by gehringer_2

The Bebop Jazz definitely sets a cool mood... a little bit Miles Davis, a little bit John Coltrane (actually, I don't recognize the artists they're using but the Jazz is definitely floating the mood all around the action... The Seatbelts? And Yoko Kanno? Must be some Japanese bebop jazz but it's definitely good...). 

It has a modern day film noire mood to it. With a Japanese science fiction setting and violence/ action to match.