TV Series

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

S3 of The Bear is set to premier in June.

People seem amazed it was such a fast turn around since S2 premiered in June of 2023.  But us older folks remember TV shows doing 22-24 episodes every year.

Smart to not waste time as Jeremy Allen White seems poised to be the next big thing and will move past starring on the show.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

People seem amazed it was such a fast turn around since S2 premiered in June of 2023.  But us older folks remember TV shows doing 22-24 episodes every year.

I watch old shows on prime when I work from home. A comfort food kind of thing. Background noise. Yeah they went into the 20s. Hour long episodes too. 

I'm wondering how Masters of the Air is being received by johnny six pack out there.  Its been pretty good from my optic as a student of airpower history.   Various WWII podcasts i listen to have been doing supporting stuff around the show.  Learning a lot of things I wasn't quite aware of even with what I consider a grad school level of awareness of the combined bomber offensive.  

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I really enjoyed the positivity of season 2.   The ending was sort of contrived situation comedy 101 stuff but i'll forgive that.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:29 PM, romad1 said:

I really enjoyed the positivity of season 2.   The ending was sort of contrived situation comedy 101 stuff but i'll forgive that.

They had to do something to make sure they were classified as a Comedy...

The Christmas dinner episode was the best, most uncomfortable episode of a show I think I have ever seen.

2 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

They had to do something to make sure they were classified as a Comedy...

The Christmas dinner episode was the best, most uncomfortable episode of a show I think I have ever seen.

Yep...reminded me of many a holiday meal in my house.  

58 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Really enjoying Masters of the Air, agree it isn't as good as band of brothers but it still has that same sort of feel.  I think I like it better than the Pacific so far.  Crazy to see what the bombers' missions were like.

Casualty rates were so high for flyers that not many guys served over long arcs of the war as in BOB.

Gotcha.

Don't have that.

Wonder if that comes out in Blu Ray?

I got Band of Brothers and Pacific in Blu ray sets as they are iconic enough and I love them enough to have them in my "library", ready to watch whenever I wish to do so. This sounds like exactly the kind of series I would want to add to that.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, gehringer_2 said:

Casualty rates were so high for flyers that not many guys served over long arcs of the war as in BOB.

Spoilers from the first few episodes:

It is nuts to me that they didn't give the new pilots/crew a heads up on how insane it was going to be on their missions.  I guess you don't want people going in scared but damn that is crazy to me.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:24 AM, Deleterious said:

The superannuated among us might remember as many as 39 episodes running during a season, a state of affairs that lasted well into the mid 1960s. That’’s a holdover from the live days of radio, when all major series would start their seasons in early October and end in late June, and they were committed to broadcasting a show, come hell, high water, or holiday, every single week, without fail, because there was no transcription yet and therefore no reruns possible.

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The superannuated among us might remember as many as 39 episodes running during a season, a state of affairs that lasted well into the mid 1960s. That’’s a holdover from the live days of radio, when all major series would start their seasons in early October and end in late June, and they were committed to broadcasting a show, come hell, high water or holiday, every single week, without fail, because there was no transcription yet and therefore no reruns possible.

they also had to produce more show per episode as there were only ~8-10 minutes of commercials in a 1960's hour compared to ~16 or more now.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

they also had to produce more show per episode as there were only ~8-10 minutes of commercials in a 1960's hour compared to ~16 or more now.

Radio comedy solved that problem by having music, typically one song from the orchestra and then another featuring the singer. The better shows would also weave in commercials into the script. For example, Jack Benny would devote two or three minutes to a Jello or Lucky Strike bit. (Or, for a year anyway, Post Grape Nuts Flakes.)

On 2/28/2024 at 5:55 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Damn, Richard Lewis died. Love him playing off Larry David in Curb and loved him in Robin Hood Men in Tights. RIP Richard Lewis. 

I hope Larry David does well with the inheritance. 

• Like 1

Anyone else watching “Monsieur SpaDe” on AMC? I like it a lot.

(edited …. 😁 …. because I want to blame it on auto-correct, but *shrug*)

And, for those already watching, season 3 of “Resident Alien” has started up on SYFY. I love this so much. 😂 So quirky and funny as hell.