TV Series

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Apparently had played pickleball for a couple of hours this morning before that. 

It’s big news not only for our generation but also for younger people. Friends is very big among teens in reruns. Seinfeld, on the other hand, they’ve never heard of or don’t find funny. 

For a long time it was on TBS all afternoon and on Nick every night for a few hours.  My wife always had it on and I work from home so it was prominent. Recently they moved it to the morning.  It is a comfort show for sure.  Some of the jokes don’t hold up, gay ones in particular but otherwise I find myself laughing quite a bit. More so than its original run. 

They kept some of the sets and it’s been touring. We went in July. 

IMG_2863.heic IMG_2841.heic IMG_2839.heic

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Just finishing the first season of Bosch. Some really bad acting but the series is enjoyable enough to continue.

The stories are good, we've enjoyed them. BTW the Bosch series continues with Bosch Legacy. I think it's either on Showtime or Freevee (my wife follow them more than I do)

If you like Bosch you might also check out the Corman Strike. The first series are on HBO. It's based on the crime novels of Robert Galbraith (J K Rowling)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MIguy said:

Caught the first two episodes last night and loved it.  Feels a lot more like the first two seasons which is a good thing.

I totally forgot about it but my You Tube TV still recorded it based on previous seasons, so I will be watching tonight

Season 1    5 Stars

Season 2   5 Stars

Season 3  2 Stars

Season 4  3.5 Stars (I mean, it was set in Kansas City........)

Can't wait to watch tonight !

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I totally forgot about it but my You Tube TV still recorded it based on previous seasons, so I will be watching tonight

Season 1    5 Stars

Season 2   5 Stars

Season 3  2 Stars

Season 4  3.5 Stars (I mean, it was set in Kansas City........)

Can't wait to watch tonight !

Hopefully you're able to skip commercials because, holy hell, there were a lot of them.

I agree that season 3 wasn't up to the standards of the first two, but I liked it more than you did.  For a reason I can't remember, I never started watching season 4 when it first aired and have since heard so many bad things about it that I've never bothered.  Maybe I'll check it out one day but there are so many shows out there these days, who knows.  

I love all of the seasons.

Some season may be better or lesser than others... but I haven't really thought about them in those terms; I just love the quirkiness of the characters, the story/plotlines that they use, the insanity or craziness, in the middle of exciting Dakotas/ Minnesota/ (and Kansas City?)...

It just works. I haven't actually thought of the seasons in a rating format... 

This season actually starts a bit slow for me... which sounds crazy after what's already happened... but they're introducing the characters and plotlines so I expected that. And I see the potential in who/ what they've shown so far; so I expect some implosions are soon to be forthcoming. I have a lot of anticipation building up...

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There are a threads between all of the first 4 seasons.   but the stories are independent. 

I'd call it more of a few neat Easter eggs for people who are paying close attention.  Season 1 does tie to the movie though and the plot directly crosses over with the film.  

4 hours ago, MIguy said:

I'd call it more of a few neat Easter eggs for people who are paying close attention.  Season 1 does tie to the movie though and the plot directly crosses over with the film.  

Without going into spoilers there is something to be gained by watching in order.   Younger versions of Season 1 characters in Season 2 and things like that. 

But there are a TON of Coen movie references throughout the series,  like the hallway from Barton Fink and the prison escape sequence from Raising Arizona and just a million of 'em  (even a few Hudsucker Proxy nods).    And music from other Coen Bros movies is used, but different versions like Lisa Hannigan singing "Danny boy", which was used in Miller's Crossing (in a very similar setting).     

But watch in order,  because Season 1 is so ****ing brilliant on about 15 levels.    Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton "you should get the younger boy tested, he seems a little dim"

Season 3 connects the least, but there are some metaphysical type of references and even though I didn't like the story much (the villain was more annoying than threatening),  Ewan McGregor's dual performances are worth the watch.  The bus scene when he's on the phone is a burst out laughing scene. 

On 11/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

... But watch in order,  because Season 1 is so ****ing brilliant on about 15 levels.    Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton "you should get the younger boy tested, he seems a little dim"...

I'm actually doing the opposite:

The seasons are stand-alone but I'm going to make a recommendation:

I am binging Fargo because it's caught my fancy again after watching the 1st two episodes of season 5 (and I purchase complete seasons on Blu-Ray to watch at my convenience...). So... I started with season 4 because it was the least familiar to me, as I think I only watched this season once (I remembered everything as I watched it but there were still some surprises due to limited familiarity...). I don't get the 3.5 stars you gave as I thought this season was brilliant. And... As it begets Mike Milligan...

I am now watching Season 2. And then Season 1. And then Season 3. So basically, chronologically. And I like how it's going so far... following the chronological order... It rolls nicely...

Still in the process of watching all of Fargo chronologically.... some notes:

To Rob - just to reiterate, you do NOT have to watch any of the previous seasons to understand season 5.... these are all stand alone seasons and movie. Tonight at 10 on Fx is season 5, episode 3... hope you were able to catch ep's 1 and 2 which were shown on the same night and reprised this past Saturday night in case you missed Tuesday...

Chronologically it goes:

Season 4

Season 2

Movie

Season 1

Season 3

There is very little connective tissue between seasons but it's definitely not zero. The timelines are so far apart is what makes each season a standalone, for the most part.

I've really enjoyed this, chronologically, it's the first time I've tried it as such...

The minor connective tissue, for those interested, is:

Season 4 begets Mike Milligan (just a child here...).

Mike Milligan plays a key role in Season 2. Which begets Molly Solverson (just a child here).

The movie begets a suitcase filled with $1M (less the $80K removed), and a car winter-window-scraper.

Season 1 Molly takes center stage, the suitcase and scraper are minor (but not unrelated) storylines. Season 1 begets Mr. Wrench.

Season 3 Mr. Wrench plays a minor, but very interesting role.