TV Series

16 hours ago, djhutch said:

So. Good.

I think a lot of people will skip it because it is about Jesus but they'll miss out on a terrific series with phenomenal writing and acting. It is so well done.

Watching it will no more make someone a Christian than watching Breaking Bad made them a drug dealer and yet they'll miss out on a fantastic show because "Jesus TV".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I think a lot of people will skip it because it is about Jesus but they'll miss out on a terrific series with phenomenal writing and acting. It is so well done.

Watching it will no more make someone a Christian than watching Breaking Bad made them a drug dealer and yet they'll miss out on a fantastic show because "Jesus TV".

Yep. Faith-based entertainment has gotten a bad rap for a reason, but this is SO well shot & written.  The character development is phenomenal.

47 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I plowed through White Lotus. Decent, but not the elite show that it is portrayed as. I am surprised somebody like Sepinwall who (rightfully) pans Ozark for it's lazy writing praised this one so much when it had some similar flaws, imo.

I slogged thru both seasons, not one of my favorites

I binged the final season of Better Call Saul. Man, what a great show. What a great, great show. I'll have to look to see if that final season thread is here or lost to space on the old site. It should be a great read and provide insight to things I may have missed.

Poor Howard. That really bothered me.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, djhutch said:

Yep. Faith-based entertainment has gotten a bad rap for a reason, but this is SO well shot & written.  The character development is phenomenal.

Definitely. There has been entirely too much cheese and it is a well-earned reputation. I am in the process of watching the series a third time.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, smr-nj said:

I watched episode 1, and will watch more.  I just wish they were a bit shorter, time-wise.

🙂

I think you'll get a kick out of the interactions between Quintus (the guy who first approached the coach as Nicodemus was travelling) and Matthew and Jesus. He's so devious and yet amused when he is stood up to; especially by Matthew who is apparently quite autistic. 

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I binged the final season of Better Call Saul. Man, what a great show. What a great, great show. I'll have to look to see if that final season thread is here or lost to space on the old site. It should be a great read and provide insight to things I may have missed.

Poor Howard. That really bothered me.

I think it was the best TV show I've ever watched.  Bummed that my wife couldn't get into it.  I understand how some didn't like it because the pacing was so different from BB.  I believe the Howard situation coincided with their mid season break but they didn't plan it that way but it definitely gave off cliff hanger vibes.  I also think that episode is when Bob had his heart attack.

They had a tough plane to land given we knew the future somewhat and they were teasing us throughout the series but I'm sure they didn't have an overall arc.  They did it.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

We were all set to watch at 9..... saw it was 10.  That's too late for my wife.

So I have to mute Barry on twitter.

I've been tweeting one esoteric funny line from each episode on Twitter and that is it. I don't think they spoil anything, but can stop if it does.

No, that's ok.  I just mute the word Barry.  It's on me to guard that.  What I don't like is the day something is released, like some Star Wars stuff on Wednesdays, and that afternoon you get these reviewers with full recaps in their tweet liking to their review.  Dude, give working people a chance to watch first.  It's not our job to watch these so we can't spend the morning doing it.  To me the day after is ok.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

No, that's ok.  I just mute the word Barry.  It's on me to guard that.  What I don't like is the day something is released, like some Star Wars stuff on Wednesdays, and that afternoon you get these reviewers with full recaps in their tweet liking to their review.  Dude, give working people a chance to watch first.  It's not our job to watch these so we can't spend the morning doing it.  To me the day after is ok.

An ESPN writer I follow was making a similar point but quote tweeted a Succession Spoiler he was complaining about being spoiled a couple weeks ago. Like most people who quote tweet, he was no better than the person he was shaming and only spreading the problem.

Looks like all previous Amazing Race seasons will now only be on Paramount+. That stinks for us because we don't currently have that, and have been watching past seasons on Hulu as a family for a long time. We are just finishing up season 24 (All Star season with Cowboys and Globetrotters), so we still have a ways to go. We already have Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Amazon, HBO and Disney. I'm not sure I can justify adding yet another one.

Unrelated, but I'm also going to have to make a decision on DirecTV. I've kept it for NFL Ticket and Bally Sports. With Ticket moving to Youtube, not much reason to keep it. Been a subscriber almost 25 years though!

I really like Paramount+.  I got it a few weeks ago after seeing a clip of something on Youtube of low quality.  I noticed it was the Smithsonian Channel so I did some research.  They have a lot of good stuff on there.  I have the $4 a month with ads.  In fact I welcome the ads now because it gives me a chance to get up or whatever.  For some reason I'm hesitant to just pause.

Just finished Waco on Netflix. I had barely paid attention to it when it happened thirty years ago. I had seen a dramatic recreation of the events but this is the first time I've seen actual footage and interviews with those closely involved. Koresh was a nut job and at the end of it all the blame squarely falls on his shoulders. That said, the government sure screwed the pooch on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Just finished Waco on Netflix. I had barely paid attention to it when it happened thirty years ago. I had seen a dramatic recreation of the events but this is the first time I've seen actual footage and interviews with those closely involved. Koresh was a nut job and at the end of it all the blame squarely falls on his shoulders. That said, the government sure screwed the pooch on it.

I was a freshman in high school that year and we had a morning news channel thing we watched the first 15 minutes of the day. Everyday they had a recap od what happened there the day before for like the whole standoff.