TV Series

The White House Plumbers (HBO)

It's satire coming from the folks that gave us Larry Sander, VEEP, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Definitely over the top.   Wood Harrelson as E Howard Hunt and Justin Theroux as Gordon Liddy are perfect for the roles. 

The series are satire but the events are portrayed accurately. The first episode dealt with the break in at Ellsworth's psychiatrist's office seem accurate. The opening scene of the attempted break in at Democratic headquarters is priceless.

It's not All The President's Men...but. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:26 AM, CMRivdogs said:

It's satire coming from the folks that gave us Larry Sander, VEEP, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Definitely over the top.   Wood Harrelson as E Howard Hunt and Justin Theroux as Gordon Liddy are perfect for the roles. 

The series are satire but the events are portrayed accurately. The first episode dealt with the break in at Ellsworth's psychiatrist's office seem accurate. The opening scene of the attempted break in at Democratic headquarters is priceless.

What is the link to those shows aside from airing on the same network?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 7:26 AM, CMRivdogs said:

It's ... OK. It's not as bad as Adam McKay, but there is definitely some influence there. I hate that they feel they have to invent characters and situations to make it easier on them to write the story, but hey, that's a thing now, I guess.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It's ... OK. It's not as bad as Adam McKay, but there is definitely some influence there. I hate that they feel they have to invent characters and situations to make it easier on them to write the story, but hey, that's a thing now, I guess.

It's ok to do that to condense some things.  One of my favorite President movies is Thirteen Days and Costner was the producer and star so they made his character, Ken O'Donnell, more of a prominent participant in the Cuban Missile Crisis than he actually was.  But they needed a focus and by making it a secondary person it means you don't change history too much.  Everything in that movie that was said was said by someone, just not who said it in the movie.  Instead of 18 princpal characters you have 7.

I was looking forward to this series and will watch but I've heard similar things about it so it won't be a priority.

On 4/24/2023 at 8:58 AM, oblong said:

I think it was the best TV show I've ever watched.  Bummed that my wife couldn't get into it.  I understand how some didn't like it because the pacing was so different from BB.  I believe the Howard situation coincided with their mid season break but they didn't plan it that way but it definitely gave off cliff hanger vibes.  I also think that episode is when Bob had his heart attack.

They had a tough plane to land given we knew the future somewhat and they were teasing us throughout the series but I'm sure they didn't have an overall arc.  They did it.

My wife gave up on it about 1.5 seasons from the end.  I couldn't believe it.  It was better than BB, but it was a completely different show.  She knew that, yet just couldn't reconcile it.  

I just finished watching the two seasons of “Mindhunter” on Netflix.

i’m pretty annoyed with Netflix not picking up that show for a third series because they said it was too expensive, according to the producer of the show. I really wish they had made more seasons of the show, it’s that good, imo.

Bummed. Anything similar any of you can suggest for my next watch? I have Netflix, Amazon, prime and Hulu.

Watching the final season of Succession on HBO. Wow. What great writing and acting.

The speech a certain someone's brother gave at his funeral was outstanding. Mostly because it was damn true about what is going on in this society.

Great show.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, antrat said:

Watching the final season of Succession on HBO. Wow. What great writing and acting.

The speech a certain someone's brother gave at his funeral was outstanding. Mostly because it was damn true about what is going on in this society.

Great show.

Absolutely one of the best.  

Series finale coming up tonight.  I love they are going out on top and not dragging along just for the money.

It’s going to be Greg. 

• Thanks 1

It struck me yesterday that Succession became such a cultural force on its own terms, I had basically forgotten that it was promoted as a Will Ferrell/Adam McKay joint when it first came out. Those two guys were presumably the main reason to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 8:26 AM, CMRivdogs said:

I just finished this and really enjoyed it. Justin Theroux was great is Liddy and Woody was equally as great as the manic Howard Hunt. When he was screaming at his kids not to answer the phone because he was sure it was bugged, that cracked me up.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I was so busy with work that I totally missed Black Mirror Season 6's debut.  Guess what I'll be watching much of this weekend?  

I've watched the first 3 episodes so far and I'd rank the first episode as being my favorite.  Episode 3 is also very good but loses a point for being very predictable.   Episode 2 wasn't bad, just didn't really do it for me.   

I watched an episode of Most Dangerous Game on Prime because Christoph Waltz was in it. Basically an organization recruited a deep-in-debt guy who had terminal cancer to participate in a human hunt throughout the confines of Detroit so that he could leave money to his family.

Some of the acting was atrocious, lots of leaps in logic and plot holes, but I didn't think my time was wasted and I will watch other episodes as they become available.

23 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I plowed through Jury Duty on Prime over the course of a couple of days. It was a fun show, but I wonder how that guy was selected to be the "hero" in the first place. They didn't address that in the wrap up at the end of the show.

I have rarely laughed as hard when the defense lawyer finally showed his animation recreation. I literally had tears in my eyes. The IT Crowd was the only other show that has made me laugh like that.